• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Totally O/T: Cafe Racer Build...

Martin Keene

I once went on the back of a Guzzi  -amazing low level grunt, would plonk along in top  all day, but still went very well. This was about 30years ago tho  !

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Martin Keene

• Cleggy the Spyder Man

• Norman Verona

• chazpowerslide

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Not much really... Too many other things got in the way last weekend so all I managed to do was strip the remaining electrics off the bike and strip the instrument binicle down to clean up, polish the gauge bezels and wiring up correctly. There is some very random wiring inside, like somebody has had it apart before and just lobbed it back together in any order.

A couple of mysterys building, the red warning light to the very right hand side of the instruments seems to have an image of a rear brake lever moulded onto it, yet there is no bulb holder or wiring inside the instruments for it... Odd

And even more odd is whether it is a Mk 2 or Mk 3. The mk2's had a Bosch electronic ignition system, which by all accounts is a bit crap and Moto Guzzi actually went back to points on the mk3. I was told it was a 1983 Mk3, this was born out by the side panels and the headlight bracket design.

However, the frame plate says 1981, despite the V5 saying it was registered 1983, which i thought was way to early for a mk3, and when stripping the electrics I found a Bosch control box opposite the rectifier which lead me to believe it was electronic ignition. However, having downloaded a mk2 wiring diagram the colours of my ignition wiring do not match that of a mk2... Apparently this box is the regulator for the alternator, so I need to check the wiring colours for that, I'll also pull the alternator cover this weekend to find out if it has points or not.

There is some very random wiring inside, like somebody has had it apart before and just lobbed it back together in any order.

sounds like standard Italian bike electrics for the period  :oops:  :D

Cheers Mate, I'll give you a shout if I get stuck. So far it is proving to be delightlfully simple to work on. I haven't got anything done today (see facebook... ) but, I am hoping to do some mock up tomorrow.

Ok, so today was limited to a couple of hours work due to the aches and pains caused by spending fours hours heating, grinding and drilling two *very* siezed studs out of SWMBO's exhaust yesterday.

I have cut the rear mudguard down to size, cut the grab rail down to just it's seat bracket section, positioned the new rear light & indicators.

I have had to add an extra leg to the seat bracket to keep it in position and stop it pivoting on it's mounting bolts. Previously the grab handle section did this so there was a risk of it moving without it. This extra bracket also serves as a third mounting point for the rear mudguard. And to keep things nice and clean looking it is hidden under the seat. More pictures of this next weekend when I weld the extra leg onto the seat bracket.

The seat looks a bit odd at the minute, but this is only intended to be temporary, trying to find something to use as a basis to create a classic cafe racer single seat with the hump behind is proving to be a real challange...

Pictures:

DSCN0022.jpg

DSCN0023.jpg

DSCN0024.jpg

DSCN0025.jpg

DSCN0026.jpg

DSCN0027.jpg

Note: The gloves are not normal, they were purely to keep mucky fingers off the camera...

:blush:

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't get much done last weekend. But today has been much more sucessful.

I manage to get a really nice seat / tail fairing off eBay for £55. This is a big relief, you've got no idea how long I have been looking for one!

So the first job for today was to trim it to fit the bike, after removing a couple of redundant brackets from the frame that prevented it from sitting flat. So measure twice, out with the angle grinder and cut once....

guzzi007.jpg

and the resultant mess from the cutting...

guzzi008.jpg

I have also got the clip ons fitted and the new headlight brackets fitted.

guzzi009.jpg

and with the headlight and indicators.

guzzi010.jpg

The new headlight brackets were needed because the original fouled with the clip ons. Sadly the old headlight bracket was also the instrument pod bracket. So this had to be remade, here it is being trialled, it got tided and made to look a bit prettier after this shot. I'd like to have got them mounted lower but the cables for the speedo and tacho prevent this...

guzzi011.jpg

This just about finished the mock up. I need to work out how to do the battery tray covers. The LHS factory part is broken (the side stands are s**t, and they all fall over and break the LHS cover) so I have been trying to find replacements, but now I have got the seat fairing fitting means the factory parts won't fit anyway, so I am going to make some from aluminium, these will need a couple of holes per side for riv-nuts, so this will need to be done before the fairing is painted.

And to finish the overall shot. Also in this shot the rear mudguard has been drilled to get the wiring for the rear light hidden from sight.

guzzi012.jpg

Looking good Martin, is it possible to angle the insturment pod with a mini fairing as per the bike you are using as your insperation?

Are you changing the tank?

Would love to pop round and help/take the p**s, but a little too far  :blues:

I am watching this thread with great interest.  Renovating a motorbike/Lambretta/tractor is an itch I need to scratch badly.

I have to say Martin, the progress is looking good.  Keep the images coming.