• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Potential results problem

cast iron

Mark,

Thanks for your comments.

There have been a number of comments about the points system in operation for this years Speed Series - some good, some bad.

As discussed with the competitors that I have had the opportunity to talk with at various events since taking over as Chairman - there will be a meeting at the end of the season to review this season and discuss next season - in particular, the way points are allocated going forward into next years season.

As I am sure everyone appreciates, it is a tremendously difficult task to keep all the competitors happy all of the time - there will always be a rule that affects someone is some way.  Our intention as the SSOT is to take on board "sensible opinions" from competitors and formulate these into a set of rules that are agreeable - and fair - from both the memberships point of view and also that of the MSA.  I am also sure everyone will appreciate that this is not a precise science - hence the need for debate at the end of the season.  

I can assure you that Nick and I are listening to what is being said - and hence I will be issuing an invite (at the end of the season) to attend a meeting for any Speed Series competitor who expresses an interest in doing so.

Perhaps we just have an 8 valve, 16 valve and 24 valve series next year :p  

I will get my coat.  :sheep:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mid life crisis

• ACW

• Mark Stanton

• Paul Edden

I posted something jokey, then thought better of it, particularly as I hadn't properly read a previous post on the thread, so decided to delete it. However I couldn't remember how to delete the post entirely in the heat of the moment, so just deleted the text, and not the smileys!

As simples as that!

I will be issuing an invite (at the end of the season) to attend a meeting for any Speed Series competitor who expresses an interest

If the meeting is on a wet Thursday in Penzance, can we put in written submissions Boss?

All contributions will be gratefully received - whether in person, by mail, carrier pigeon or whatever.  Perhaps we can even persuade Stephenh to say something ???

Can I go

All contributions will be gratefully received - whether in person, by mail, carrier pigeon or whatever.  Perhaps we can even persuade Stephenh to say something ???

OK, my sensible comments!

Personally, I dont have strong feelings either way. I recognise that no system is going to be perfect. However, if anything, I feel the present system can operate unfairly particularly as between people in different classes, who are of course competing against each other in the overall championship.

We probably all need to think about it and as suggested, have a meeting after this season is over, and then anyone who still feels strongly either way can put forward their reasoned and thought out points. Then have a vote on it?

Someone in the know will correct me if I am wrong but my understanding was that target times were introduced as a way to give single class competitors at events a chance of winning good points. previously if there was less than 2 the most that could be scored was 16 points even if they broke the track record at an event which was grossly unfair. Basically it gave them a way of having something to beat in order to gain good or full points without cruising round and bagging 17 points. From that aim it seems to work except where there is only 1 driver in a class and it is wet and they get 17 points anyway but you cannot pre judge the weather.

Whatever happens next year, the current target times have had a good battering this year and will be much harder to beat next year so things will even themselves out and reign in big points scores at most venues.

The only thing that I see having been a issue is the 103% and 113% ruling which has come into play in the dry and in my opinion wrongly robbed people of bonus points for breaking the target times. That kind of defeats the object of sprinting in my opinion. Cut this ruling out and things will much clearer.

Just my personal obsevations as an innocent but interested party.........

Stephenh,

What colour font are you using on your responses buddy?  Am I the only one who cannot see your replies? (in the "normal" boardroom view - I have access to other views where I can see what you are typing...)

:)

Thanks for your comments John;

You will remember that we debated this long and hard prior to the start of this season whilst sat in my conservatory with other long standing members.......

I think we all accept that this season has thrown up some "learning points" - the important thing now is that we do learn from them to help make next season a cracker.

The other thing that I am very determined to demonstrate is complete transparency in the process - so there will be regular reports on progress and identification of the members involved in the decision making.  BUT - we cannot start this until the current season is over - so hold all your good thoughts (everyone) - write them down please - and then we will thrash it out later.

Ta :)

Whatever happens next year, the current target times have had a good battering this year and will be much harder to beat next year so things will even themselves out and reign in big points scores at most venues.

The only thing that I see having been a issue is the 103% and 113% ruling which has come into play in the dry and in my opinion wrongly robbed people of bonus points for breaking the target times. That kind of defeats the object of sprinting in my opinion. Cut this ruling out and things will much clearer.

I agree, generally (and from my very limited experience) I feel the target time system can has worked well but there may be opportunities (after the end of the season) to maybe improve upon rule 1.6e so drivers who exceed the target times in the dry aren't penalised in quite the same manner for doing well.

Next year could prove more interesting and fairer as some long standing or easily achievable targets have been beaten, thus fewer drivers would be bettering them by so far.  

Maybe, just as a suggestion for instances where 1.6e is applied a bonus point is awarded if the driver/s exceeds the target time?  I accept that this could introduce unfairness where some classes have a target time from previous years and other do not and the result may be that the maximum award for one class may be 17 points compared to 18 in another, but it would provide recognition to a driver who clearly drove well on the day.

Applying the above to my earlier example from lydden I in class A/C would still receive my 17 points for each day as the only entrant and failing to meet the class target time, but drivers such as ACW and Barry S in Class F who exceeded their target time on both days but came away from the weekend with less points than me could with a bonus point system score 18 and 17.23points and hence more than someone who didn't meet the target time on the day.

Just a thought  :t-up:

Edit: sorry Mr Chairman, I must type quicker :D

I think it would be useful to lay out the time frame for the consultation on changes for next year so we have an idea when/if it's safe to make plans for next year.

With hindsight, if I had known that target times were coming then I may have made some different choices wrt to car & class, maybe not. But either way the timing of these decisions is important to limit wasted effort and £ for all of us who like to plan early, IMHO, December/January is too late for this.

Stephenh,

What colour font are you using on your responses buddy?  Am I the only one who cannot see your replies? (in the "normal" boardroom view - I have access to other views where I can see what you are typing...)

:)

Paul, have you accidently "ignored" him?

(Experimenting, I have found that I could "ignore" Stephen and "unignore" him again, but I cannot "ignore" you!  :p )