TV Programme - A car is born!

Jon Murray

looks like you can catch the whole let if you've missed any, heres the schedule.

I won't send you a video if that's ok Andy as you can just pick up the repeats, happy to send it if you still want it.

Episode 1 - 24th September at 9:00pm (repeated 5th October at 8:00pm)

Mark Evans embarks on building another dream project from scratch - his new challenge is to build a Westfield sports car and compete in it at racing events. Before the nuts and bolts action can begin, Mark has to prepare his workshop and unpack the car kit.

Episode 2 - 24th September at 9:30pm (repeated 5th October at 8:30pm)

The challenge to build a multi-purpose car adaptable to different types of motor sport has been established. Mark begins by visiting the Westfield Factory where the car kit is manufactured, before embarking on the initial stages of construction.

Episode 3 - 24th September at 10:00pm (repeated 5th October at 9:00pm)

Mark continues with the building of the Westfield sports car, installing the drive shafts, fuel tank and upper steering column.

Episode 4 - 24th September at 10:30pm (repeated 5th October at 9:30pm)

Mark installs the engine, propshaft, starter motor and gear lever of his Westfield sports car.

Episode 5 - 24th September at 11:00pm (repeated 5th October at 10:00pm)

Mark Evans continues his challenge to build a Westfield sports car from scratch. As well as building the dashboard, he also installs the instruments with some help from Mike Topp from the 750 Motor Club.

Episode 6 - 1st October at 9:00pm (repeated 12th October at 8:00pm)

Mark continues working on his self-build project. In this episode, he concentrates on the chassis of the car and finds out about the manufacture of fibreglass and carbon fibre.

Episode 7 - 1st October at 9:30pm (repeated 12th October at 8:30pm)

The focus of the work is turning towards the interior of the car. Mark gets to grips with the choice of seats for the Westfield.

On TV Page

Episode 8 - 1st October at 10:00pm (repeated 12th October at 9:00pm)

Mark is still getting to grips with the Westfield's interior, focusing on everything from door lining trimming to lights and dashboard finish. Kitting a car out for racing is not as straightforward as it seems!

Episode 9 - 1st October at 10:30pm (repeated 12th October at 9:30pm)

The finishing touches are made to Mark's creation, as he prepares for the Single Vehicle Approval Test.

Episode 10 - 1st October at 11:00pm (repeated 12th October at 10:00pm)

The Westfield racing car is now built and Mark can concentrate on the next challenge: racing his car. Will the Westfield be up to the job of competing seriously - and will Mark's driving skills stand the pressure?

Episode 11 - 8th October at 9:00pm (repeated 19th October at 8:00pm)

Mark now has the opportunity to test drive his creation and takes part in a driving masterclass

Episode 12 - 8th October at 9:30pm (repeated 19th October at 8:30pm)

A hill climb at Guarston Down, Salisbury, presents Mark's with his first opportunity to race his hand built Westfield against the clock.

Episode 13 - 8th October at 10:00pm (repeated 19th October at 9:00pm)

Mark attends a track day at Donnington and gains his first racing experience in the Westfield.

Episode 14 - 8th October at 10:30pm (repeated 19th October at 9:30pm)

The focus of the action shifts to France, where Mark takes part in practice laps and then qualifies for a circuit race. He also goes behind the scenes and investigates the build up and preparation to this race.

Episode 15 - 8th October at 11:00pm (repeated 19th October at 10:00pm)

The culmination of Mark's challenge is the Circuit Race in France - see how he performs as he puts his creation to the test.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Stanton

• Jon Murray

• Phssthpok

• Vlad the Impaler

Watched the re-run of the second 5 episodes tonight. Now I'm not normally a pedant but I've been involved in engineering all my working life and I've lost count of the number of times I've shown apprentices how to apply thread tape to a tapered thread joint, so I took great delight in watching Mark expain exactly and correctly how to make said joint. He then went and wound the tape completely opositely to how he'd explained. Totally restores your faith does'nt it ?  :D  :D  :D , reminds me of all the stories I heard of how he did'nt build the cobra kit ;)  ;)  ;) Brian.

and all the rear lights and cables  :p  :D

And the holes for the windscreen pillars, the heater, the wipers, and the heater ducting was pre-fitted  :D

Wish mine had been like that!

But all things considered, in my opinion I think it's been a very good series so far, and a very smart move by Westfield. Those who've built Westies, like us, it brings a wry grin to our faces, but its still pleasurable viewing.

Those that havent, or are contemplating building a Westy, it shows them you dont have to be a mega-boffin/recluse, and any thicky can do it. I think they should be giving copies of the video out with build manuals when people go on their initial factory tours. I'm sure it would help sales.

(dare say they've already thought of this)

Cheers,

Al

Forget all the crap about the easy build,

we know different, the show is very entertaining

and one thing you can say about Mark Evans,

he's just like most Westy owners

Effin barmy   ;)

Mark Evans, he's just like most Westy owners

:D For one minute I thought you were going to say, ...well versed at sticking an arm up a cows backside.

At least it keeps your hands warm,

which is more than you can say about a Westy  :t-up:

How has he managed to get and age related plate on a car with carbs no cat and a Zetec  :D

And did anyone spot the WSCC Speed Series Sticker on Peter G's car whilst at Gurston Down  :p  :D  :)  :p  :D  :p

Better than nowt I suppose ........... just  ;)  :p  :D

Yeah i was wondering that as well,

But you can ask Glen H how he did it also  :D

Now got them all taped & have watched up to episode 6.  As I have just completed my SpeedSport build in July alot of this is fresh in the mind.  I'm sure I would have found it reasonably helpful to watch the programme first.  I followed the manual & hit several snags - he had a garage full of Westfield folks to help / do it for him, and he completed many tasks in the optimum sequence (ie not that according to the manual).  If watching it before building I'd have been outraged to find mine didn't have cut out bodywork, pre assembled scuttle, fuse boxes & panels fitted, pre-assembled drive shafts etc etc.  As it is now I just think it's a nice piece of TV & good PR for Westfield.

Cheers

Chris

Bath

My Build Site - Just updated

Yep Mark I spotted that as well  :t-up:

All,

Did anyone tape "A Racing Car is Born" from Discovery Home & Leisure last night Tuesday 08 oct?. My mate forgot.

Horace Marks

01327 341358

01276 623561

or email

All,

Christ this stuff looks tricky eh? My first time on this page. Anyway did anyone tape "A Racing Car is Born" from Discovery Home & Leisure last night Tuesday 08 oct?. My mate forgot.

Horace Marks

01327 341358

01276 623561

or email :blush: