• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Stanton

• Jon Murray

• Phssthpok

• Vlad the Impaler

Seconded.

b******* of to a chat room somewhere.

In case you've forgotten, this is the bulletin board for the WSCC, for discussion of all things Westfield. There appears to be precious little "on topic" subject matter in that lot. Take it "outside", and come back when you have something of relevance to say. :angry:  :angry:

Did anyone see the first 5 last night? I got as far as the factory visit in the 2nd programme and then had to go get my brother from his big artic truck  :angry:

Was the rest of it any good, did he actually start building the car? the thought of a virgin westy is making me itchy to build one, as opposed to buying it fully built which i did 3 years ago.  :D  :love:  :blush:  :devil:

What did people make of the few referances to "the lawyers"

that were present (seemed to be a few westfield peeps

keeping an eye on proceedings), Were Westfield being

a bit "Big Brother", also why did they blur the westfield

logo on the air filter?

Matt

http://www.mattscar.co.uk

yup he started building, switched TV off at 11 and he had engine, suspension, brakes, gear box, handbrake in and fitted.

He must be bl**** quick with them spanners  :D  :D  :D

yup he started building, switched TV off at 11 and he had engine, suspension, brakes, gear box, handbrake in and fitted.

He must be bl**** quick with them spanners :p  :D  :D  :D

I have taped it so will have a scan at the weekend. :t-up:

Loved the first 5 episodes....

Blurring the Westfield name: all these types of programme seem to carefully obscure any free advertising  in shot. I've noticed poeples t-shirts, van sign-writing etc going blurry all the time!

Gearbox con??: He said he had the 5-speed Type '9' box, but when he was installing the engine/box it was clearly a 4-speed box.  Plus when he put the gear lever in he ran thru the gears: "1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th is over there somewhere"! Mmmmm....

Anyone else spot that?

Question for Keith S.: I guess most people would use the 4-speed for racing due to the light weight and no need for an overdrive?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing the rest of the series :)

He must be bl**** quick with them spanners

Judicious editing...........

What did people make of the few referances to "the lawyers"

that were present (seemed to be a few westfield peeps

keeping an eye on proceedings), Were Westfield being

a bit "Big Brother", also why did they blur the westfield

logo on the air filter?

I would imagine the Factory had a delegation present to assist with the build. This would be more to ensure that the production of the programme was completed on time, and within budget, rather than any other type of "Big Brother" involvement. A prudent move by both the factory and the production team.

Blanking out the Westfield logo is probably an ASA requirement. It's a documentary show, not an infomercial......You'll have noted that he rarely, if ever, called "Stomp" (that's what he's called his Westfield! ) a Westfield, just a "2 seater, open topped sports car".

I watched all 5, and quite enjoyed it. I particularly enjoyed wathcing him put the top wishbone rear bolts in the wrong way round. Good luck getting the top wishbone out with the tank in place..........    :D  :D  :D

I particularly enjoyed wathcing him put the top wishbone rear bolts in the wrong way round. Good luck getting the top wishbone out with the tank in place..........    :D  :D  :D

Ooohh, you beat me to that one Blatters  :D

I spotted the same thing when he started to bolt the fuel tank in place.

Re. the blurred Westfield logo on the air filter, I have noticed they don't always blur out the logo, only when it's "In yer face"... so to speak.  I guess to prevent overtly advertising the brand name.

Jon

I noticed the 4 speed box when he said it was a 5 speed as well, strange don't know what was going on there. I can't remember if he had a 5 speed at the race or not. Maybe it will be one of the racing upgrades to be done later.

Regarding 4 or 5 speed to race with:

You can use either. Yes the 4 speed is definitely lighter and cheaper to buy and upgrade (gear kits), so this is why many people use these. The problem is gearing. For a fast circuit i.e. Snetterton you need tall gearing but for a slow twisty one like Lydden you don't need the top end. What you must do in this case is have 2 differential units of different ratios and swap them between races. The alternative therefore is to have the 5 speed box. A bit heavier, but I am far to lazy to have to swap the diffs between races, so I gear the car such that the 5th is used on these long straights and 4th for the shorter courses. I prefer this set up, but it is up to the individual.

I could have done without the comment about getting westfield to fit the ally panel, brake pipes, fuel pipe etc and then pretending to your mates that you had done all of the work.  I am in for a right leg pulling at work.

When I was at the factory the other week they alluded to the fact that he built very little of the car.

And it was an MT75 suitable chassis which threw the engine well back ... what you say Blatters  :D

And why did he have such misfortune fitting the diff  :(  :)  Good job spanners from Kingswinford were ther to assist  ;)

They must have some friends at the Sylva Club cos they always get featured  :D  :)

MMmmm that Sylva was a pretty awesome trackday tool with its 1,100cc Xflow!!  ...tho' to be fair the guy was only 19, and at that age I was trying to break the 50bhp barrier with an Aquaplane 1172 sidevalve.  :)