Pictures of damaged roll over bars

Pembroke Pat

I have just received my proper roll over bar from westfield having sent back the bit of bent tube that they originally supplied.  It got me thinking that I haven't actually been able to find any pictures of squashed roll bars.  Perhaps it is a bit goulish but never the less interesting

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Graham.J

• nickpargeter

• Nick M

• Pembroke Pat

Naa, I was just checking the forum before I hit the sack for the night. I'm ill so don't have to be up any time tomorrow, normally have about 12-13hrs sleep a night, just listening to Janice Long on Radio 2.

You would have to ask juansolo about that picture, I'm very glad I bought my roll bar too, looking at that.

Nasty... Night Night, my dad'll be waking up in a bit, must get a quieter keyboard, this one is too loud, even when you try to type quietly.

Oh and I'd never get a full cage, I have trouble getting into the westy now, let alone with a ful cage to cope with.

Oh well. Toodleoo :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:

Thats Gordons rollbar, it was in Scotland about three years ago, he hadnt had the car very long, the back end got ouf line dug into the bank and flipped the car over, he was in a pretty bad way for quite a while, i'm not sure but i think he made a full recovery.

I bought the whole rollbar from westfield:

Epoxy coated, detatchable rear stays, etc etc.

So yes it is the standard westfield item, make sure you ask for detatchable stays and for it powder coated.

I am more than a bit shocked at how flat that rollbar is - surely the whole point of a rollover bar is that it doesnt squash flat when you turn the car over. ?  (BTW this is not a dig at Westfields from a 'van owner, this is far too serious to joke about).

Is there an FIA-type bar available for Westies ? By way of comparison here is a c******m with an FIA bar that was rolled three times  (BTW its not my car if you are trying to work out who I am). You can navigate around the rest of the photo album to see all the damage. The story of the crash is here if you want to read it.

Over on blatchat the general consensus seems to be that the standard rollover bar isnt a patch on the FIA one. On the basis of the photo at the top of this post i'd say the standard Westfield one isnt really up to the job and the for the sake of your heads you all ought to think about fitting a stronger one.

Thanks for sharing the picture of the c******m post roll.  The Westfield roll bar has a slightly different construction method (rear struts are removable for ease of installation and are connected with rose ball joints to the chassis).  

I am really glad that I haven't put on the standard roll bar as it just adds weight without adding purpose.

That picture of the standard bar was sent to me by someone off the Se7ens list when I was asking about bars.  Horrific and the RAC bar was the first mod I made to the car.