• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• Nick M

• Neil Purdie

• davew

Stepps

And poly bushes come in a very fetching YELLOW  :devil:  :D  :)  :devil:

Tyres should be considered as much of a disposable item as engine oil - if they don't need changing every 3,000 miles you're not trying hard enough !!

Oil change? .... Oil change? ..... should I be changing the oil as well as polishing and cleaning the car?

tyrewear.jpg

Do I need to try harder?

I think Nicks forgetting that Steppenwolf's car has a Zetec under the bonnet.........

Ouch!!!! Please, let me get your coat for you ....  :D

And poly bushes come in a very fetching YELLOW  

At last, a really sensible reason for getting poly bushes ......

Here's one for the record -  my axle stands are yellow too  :blush:

Do I need to try harder?

Picking up the marbles on the slowing down lap doesn't mean you were going fast before........... :0  :0  :D  :D  :p  :p

Picking up the marbles on the slowing down lap doesn't mean you were going fast before...........

*snigger*

Actually I thought he'd taken a picture of a tractor tyre  :p  :D

• 4 weeks later...

:arse:  Just started fitting the polly bushes at long last, after having the wishbones powder coated.

With the additional width from the 'brim' of the bush, the wishbones will not locate in the chassis lugs. As i see it I have two options.

1.  return to metalastic bushes.

2.  Machine ~1mm from each side of the bush housing, for clearance of the 'brim' of the polly bush.

ANY thoughts please

Neil  :angry:

Sorry, I have tried that and it works for the the front top wishbones.  But the rest of them will end up with serious angles to get the things i, and I dont want to weaken the lugs.

I bent my mountings out a bit because I was in a hurry, and didn't have a way of removing the excess material properly. Didn't seem like a very elegant solution, and since fitting, I haven't been that impressed with them to be honest, but if you read back a few posts, I've already said that........

If I was doing it again, I'd be taking a lathe to them..........

P'raps a call to the boys at CAT would help with a decision as to how to proceed.........

P'raps a call to the boys at CAT would help with a decision as to how to proceed.........

No need, THEY CALLED ME at 11:12 :)  :)  :)  :) hows that for service.

I have already cleaned off the powder coating from the inside and ends of the bush housing to clean shiny metal ( Dremil type sander )

When the two halves of the bush are fitted into the wishbone there needs to be a 0.5mm ish gap between them, to allow for expansion when the steel sleeve is pushed through. Ending up with the sleeve being 'just proud' of the bush on each side and the brims of the bushes tight against the wishbone.

Next top tip was to ease the mounting lugs apart, using a threaded bar and nuts to push the mountings apart ( nice and controled / less damage to coatings ).

To achieve the 0.5mm ish gap, the bush can be trimmed with a grinder/sander. BUT DONT remove any of the 'brim' from the bush or it will probably wear through in use.

You know what it bl**** works.  :)  :) Thanks CAT Motorsport.

A question on the poly bushings  :durr:

Where does the motion take place?

I can think of three alternatives:

A. the inner metal sleve rotates on the fixing bolt

B. the poly bush rotates on the inner metal sleve

C. the A-arm rotates on the poly bushing

I'd guess that it's B, because the metal sleve is pretty tightly jammed into the mounting bracket and then screwed tight (so it's not A) and the poly bush is fairly tight into the A-arm (so it's not C).  If it is B, does that mean that there should be some lube present when the metal sleve is inserted into the poly bushing?  What lube???

Correct, the answer is (b).

They dont actually need any lube, but can sometimes be prone to squeaking when suspension moves. A smear of silicone rubber grease (the stuff you can get from Halfrauds to stop door seals freezing to your doors in the winter) between metal sleeve and bushes will stop this.

HTH Stu.