Suspension Bushes

davew

Just had fun fitting my first metalastic suspension bush, breaking a vice in the process. Anyone got any tips for when I buy a new vice and try and fit the rest!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• Nick M

• Neil Purdie

• davew

Hi Dave,

You'll have to get them fitted with a press (I broke my vice as well!;), the garage down the road let me use their press for free.  Better yet, use poly bushes as the metalastic ones probably won't last anyway.

Mitch

To carry on from markg -

Using the supplied grease, push in both halves of the polly bush THEN push the steel sleeve through.  If you put one half in with the sleeve fitted and then try to fit the other half, you get an air lock in the middle  :durr: IYSWIM ( remove sleeve & back to step one )

A budget home vice should be OK

i took the metalastic bushes back to westfield and traded them in for the polybushes the price difference is about £30 a set but you need to keep 2 metalastics for the rear wishbone where it bolts to the upright :D

I broke my vice also.

Took the bushes and wishbones etc to Westfield and they fitted for FREE !.

You can try putting a bolt through the bush and tightening a nut to pull the bush in but v fiddly.  Just take back to the factory and they will fit for you.  Or any garage with a press.  Easy job.

Phil

you need to keep 2 metalastics for the rear wishbone where it bolts to the upright  

Cat Motorsport hopefully supply the one for this, I have ordered all 18 bushes ( 16 for all the inboard wishbone bushes + 2 for the rear outboards )

Talking to CAT over the phone they told me westfield would not take back new metalastic bushes in exchange for polys, but they would give me £1 each in exchange so it was my 18 bushes and £63, far from that of westfields £30 even if there are 2 more bushes. Bad CAT

Surely you wouldn't expect one company to exchange another companies goods  :(

If you purchase from Westfield then deal and speak with Westfield direct  :)  Similarly If you purchase from Cat then deal and speak with Cat  :)

Mark G didn't seem to have any problems

i took the metalastic bushes back to westfield and traded them in for the polybushes the price difference is about £30 a set

Appologies to CAT motorsport, I misunderstood andy over the phone, actualy what he tried to tell me was westfield wouldnt take the bushes back for a refund. Andy very kindly called me back and offered to send on my bushes to westfield and refund me. Even after my cheekiness. Now that's service! Good kitty.

but you need to keep 2 metalastics for the rear wishbone where it bolts to the upright

Hmmm, I was wondering why too.   Any ideas why these two specifically need to, supposedly, remain as metalistic bushes ?

I've used poly bushes there with, apparently, no ill effects....

Yeah, me too. No problems yet, although it's on the sprint car, so mileage is VERY low (like, less than 5). ALL the mileage is done at 10/10ths though, with little regard for mechanical sympathy, especially when Blatgirl gets going :0  :0