ZEi and SEi ???

Hanslow

The DVLA quotes

"Sometimes, however, a vehicle needs to be rebuilt and this can call the identity of the vehicle into question. Is it the original which has simply been repaired or have so many new or different parts been used in the rebuilding process that the original vehicle has been effectively broken up?"

"Vehicles which have been substantially rebuilt need to be examined by one of the DVLA Local Offices.  The DVLA Local Office will assess whether the vehicle can retain its registration mark or if an alternative mark should be allocated.  This will depend on whether the majority of the major components come from the original vehicle."

The question in this case.

1.  Has the car been rebuilt and to what extent?

2.  Had the car been examined by the DVLA?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hanslow

• Mark Stanton

• shaun

• adhawkins

Thanks Shaun.

I was after the legal requirements as far as rebuilding the car goes.

I guess it depends on whether the seller were to declare that fact, if he doesn't then it makes you wonder how much you can trust him on anything else...

Am I right in thinking that if the car has been rebuilt, done properly and inspected at the end of it then that shouldn't necessarily be a reason to avoid it?

It's more if it has been rebuilt but some corners cut that you should be concerned?

Thanks.

Andy

Simply, if you, as a purchaser, have any doubts of any car then walk away - another one will be along soon  :D  ;)  :)

Hmmm...that's a nice theory, but Westfield's aren't exactly ten-a-penny are they?

I'd hate to walk away from a perfectly good one just because it had been rebuilt at some point in its life (assuming it were done properly of course).

Thanks for the advice anyway, it is good advice, but I want one dammit! ;)

Andy

but Westfield's aren't exactly ten-a-penny are they

Seriously Andy now is the time to buy  ;)  Not many about, blimey chap where and what are you lookin' at, there's a rook of em in the club mag, I usually buy Kit Car and there's plenty in there  ;)  :)  Not forgettin the dealerships such as Westfield, Nightingale and Hallmark Cars - oh and there are some on this website  :D  :)  Good Huntin'  :)

I have a thread (created for me by studbuckle aka Si Houghton) in the 'Cars Wanted' bit on here...basically I'm after an SEiW, Zetec powered, ideally on fuel injection rather than carbs.

Budget is about 8k, but could squeeze a bit more if the right car came along.

I've looked around on the 'Net and not an awful lot fits my needs (I'm not the mechanic type, but I love driving, so I want something that isn't going to need too much TLC ;)).

Am I being too picky?

Andy

Simply, if you, as a purchaser, have any doubts of any car then walk away - another one will be along soon

Totally agree

The Vendor must be straight.

Why should he hide anything....  :arse:  :arse:   even if the car has been rebuilt.

For 8K to 9K you'll get a good car   :D  :D

My thoughts exactly. I'm prepared to wait for the right car to make sure it is the right car for me.

The car in question that I had been looking at looks a gem, but, if I have my doubts, I'd sooner not bother. Oth er people won't mind and will probably snap up an absolute beauty. Mine will come along sometime :)

On a good note, I've almost sold my Scoob (well the garage have). They should be ringing me today to confirm a sale :D Then I should be free to find a Westie :cool:  :D  :)  :t-up:

In the meantime, I can shed a few pounds on my pushbike  :0

In the meantime, I can shed a few pounds on my pushbike  

Why, are you having trouble pedalling it up hill.............. :p  :D

• 4 weeks later...

OK,lets clear this all up for those concerned and those who might want a very tidy car.

The car in question is registered as a ZEI therefore stating that is correct.

During its first year the original owner had a spill and demaded the his insurance company replace it (it could have been repaired hence a Cat.D rightoff.

The car was bought from salvage and someone bodged it an kept it for 2 years .

RIGHT now here is where i come in , the seller sold it and kept stum about its history and it was bought by the current owner.When we went to fit an RAC bar for him it did not line up so we pulled the shell of and checked the car out .

Nightmare the whole truth came out and westfield were very surprised it had surfaced.

So under my advice he bought a new chassis ,shell, wishbones etc in fact everything we could find wrong and we built the car up from scratch so it is now in a perfect conditionwith all the extras he wanted.

The car has now been inspected by HPI and come with a full cleared report ,and if you ask anyone who works in a bodyshop it has to be pukka to pass .

The car is up for sale because he has an impending wedding to pay for ,he does not have to sell it so i think it is up for a fair price but thats up to you and him.

Westfield will confirm the parts and history details and i will confirm and rebuild questions if you ask me.

Hope this clears up the whole saga on this car as its a shame that the seller has not defended his side.

He will not mislead anyone he is a genuine chap who was caught out and has put right himself the damage.

Sorry, just noticed this thread back to life again.

Didn't mean the thread to turn out the way it has done, I was just after some honest info as I know very little about Westies. I appreciate everyone's opinion, but at the end of the day, it's my decision to pursue the car or not, and in this case I decided not to.

Hopefully, there is no harm done, if there is, then I can only apologise for the way it went. Please contact the moderators if needs be and get the thread removed.

As I said from the start, the car looks very nice, but as I have some (maybe unjustified) reservations, then I might get the same response when selling it on?

Besides, I'm still stuck with my Scoob at the moment as the market on these is dead :(

Sorry if this has caused offence :(  ???  :(

no offence was caused and you have no need to appologise ,the car looks to be now sold and all i was doing was putting the record staight about the true story behind it .

You are right to look into the history of any car you buy and make your own mind up ,i hope you get a car soon cause in 6 years i,ve had no regrets and would only sell mine to buy or build another.

Glad it's OK :)

Well I still haven't had a word on my car from the garage yet, they don't seem to understand what a telephone is used for  :angry:

Glad I didn't ruffle any feathers :)

Here's hoping I get rid of one money eater soon....so I can get another (hopefully cheaper :))