ZEi and SEi ???

Hanslow

What's the difference (if any) between a ZEi and a SEi (both wide model varieties).

Can't find any info stating as such so thought I'd ask the experts :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hanslow

• Mark Stanton

• shaun

• adhawkins

The main difference AFAIK is in the bodywork. The panels are a different shape from "normal" SEi panels. It still looks like a Westfield, but the panels aren't interchangeable between the two models, IYSWIM.

Cheers Blatman :)

Shouldn't be a problem should it? Was it a special edition or something? Or a limited trial type build? Or did they just make them a different size for a laugh?

The one I've seen looks like it has a v8 style bonnet, with another air intake at the front on the top of the nose cone.

Car looks very nice and I'm quite interested in it (if the garage would sell my #### Scoob :( ) so want to know pros and cons of possibly getting the ZEiW and not a SEiW which is what I was originally looking for.

There are no cons as I see it to getting a ZEiW, apart from the fact that it's likely to have a Zetec engine in it   :devil:  ;)

Pros are that the bodywork is, IMO, a nicer fit and the scuttle area may be much tidier than with the "kit" bodywork.

What you're describing with the nose cone is a car with a ducted nose - the air intake on top of the nosecone is actually an outlet for the heat from the rad.  It's supposed to be more efficient at cooling but, depending on how it's fitted, it can make the nosecone difficult to remove as you need to drain the cooling system (the rad can be integral to the nose-cone ducting).

Thanks Nick,

Choices of engine for me are between a 2.0 Vx, a 2.0 Zetec or a 1.8 Zetec. Car I'm interested in is a 1.8 Zetec with throttle bodies on. Anyone got a rough idea of power output this might give?

Should be plenty fast enough for me anyway as I drive like an old fart (no offence to old farts that drive fast :D)

Car looks very nice, so I'll just have to see what detail I get back from the owner. Then nag the garage to shift the tin-top.

Thanks folks  :t-up:

Output from a factory 1.8 zetec on throttle bodies is 155BHP at the flywheel i believe - with some different cams and a bit of head work and a re-map this should move to about 180 BHP.

The ZEi bodywork was different from an SEi - it was a low volume factory production car and not available, at the time in kit form  ;)  :)

Although "some" of the ideas have since found their way onto the kit front for the latest generation  ;)  :D  :)

ZEi were fitted with Zetec and a Turbo Cosworth  ;)  :D  :)

Does that mean I won't be able to get a build manual for a ZEi or did they still produce one?

Would I be able to take it to bits like a SEi (and hopefully be able to put it back together :D)?

Does that mean I won't be able to get a build manual for a ZEi or did they still produce one?

Nope you probably won't find a ZEi specific but for what its worth a "standard" build manual ain't gonna be far away  ;)  :D

Would I be able to take it to bits like a SEi (and hopefully be able to put it back together )?

Yep, at the end of the day its still gonna be a bolt together unit, chassis and all other parts were "traditional kit" type stuff, just a slight variant on bodywork.

IMHO I never did think the ZEi swept wing variant looked as good as the kit type.  :)  :(  ???

IMHO I never did think the ZEi swept wing variant looked as good as the kit type

I'm confused  :durr:  Do you mean as in 'not cycle wings' ?

The car in question can be seen here Nice Motor

I do like the look of it :D

looks the danglies burn the scoob and buy it! :D

Would recommend an HPI check.

Better be safe than sorry

:0

The ZEi bodywork was different from an SEi - it was a low volume factory production car and not available, at the time in kit form  ;)  :)

Although "some" of the ideas have since found their way onto the kit front for the latest generation  ;)  :D  :)

ZEi were fitted with Zetec and a Turbo Cosworth  ;)  :D  :)

I'm fairly new to all of this but I bought a ZEi back in May from a very genuine guy who'd built it himself as a modular build. It's a 1997 kit registered in August 1998. Very nice job - and it came with all of the build manuals and documentation. Apparently it was the first Westie to go through a SVA and was overseen by Westfield who put one of their own through at the same time. Comments from the SVA tester were that it was a better build than the factory job.

So, it would appear that the ZEi was available as a kit (if you include modular kits in that) and a build manual is available - I have 2.

Looks nice.....not sure about his comment "fitted with 2ltr throttle body for a little extra bhp" - I doubt that would make any difference but again it probably won't harm it either.

It has cycle wings and the RAC rolbar which can only be good things  :cool: and the price looks about right...maybe even a little low but then winter is approaching......go on, you know you want to  :devil: