The Rebuild Diary...

devans414

Mmmmm....

Small matter of a wiring loom to look at as well...

DSC03724.jpg

Having seen that in the flesh

You might want to say a short prayer before starting that one Mate    :oops:     :D

Worth giving it a good look over and a continuity check before going to the trouble of fitting it

Nowt worse than trying to fault-find the loom after its been fitted to the car    :oops:     :down:

looking really good chap - I keep popping back in for a fix  :D

• 2 weeks later...

· Posted on Dec. 12 2010,21:57

WOW, your doing a fantastic job on the old girl, she will be a really nice car when finished.

I'm really impressed and look forward to seeing her finished!

I have now filled the hole in the garage with another project, it's just too hard not to have a westy to tinker with!

Will post some pic's when i get a chance to go into the garage!

Andy

P.S. Was the engine stock or did you say there had been some head work done? I bought it thinking it was stock????

Cheers bud, what project you got going on now then?

Just got a 2004 SEW with 1800 zetec which needs a tidy up

BTW, read this the other day...

Just needs a few weekends work to get it up and running but work and my new TVR are getting in the way of me finishing it so here it is a nice simple project with NO SVA / IVA to worry about.

A FEW weekends indeed!!

:durr:  :suspect:  :0  :D  :p  :laugh:

Well if you were just to chuck the engine in and body work on it might have been a few weekends, however if you decide to take the3 thing apart again and make it into a New Build it might take a little longer... :D  :D  :D  :D

Keep up the good work i'm tracking this thread now so look forward to regular updates!!! :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have managed to grab 5 minutes so wanted to give a quick update. Work has gone a bit hectic again so time on the car is once again limited. However I have managed to get a few jobs done.

Fuel lines and brake lines ordered, just need the tools (bending and flaring).

Back panel has been redone and will be riveted on this weekend, tranny tunnel holes all drilled so they will be put to one side until the engine is in. I have started todo rivnuts for the top of the tranny tunnel for easy access. Will finish at the weekend.

I have got new ally to redo the top of the footwell in front of the scuttle,not 100% happy with attempt no. 1.

Pedal box has been stripped down And I am starting to rebuild. There were some issues with the clutch and accelerator fouling each other which I have hopefully sorted. New ally cut for the pedal box, just needs putting back together when the paint is dry.

Just need a kick up the A***, keep reminding myself about stoneleigh!

Will do a full update with pics at the weekend.

Dave

Can you come over here for a visit mate    ???

Started having a look at this engine and there's a few things you need to see and make a decision on before going any further    :suspect:       :oops:

Cheers

Perksy

is the wiring loom in a good condition? or is it a little ragedy.

if it were me i would be considering fitting a new loom, considering the effort your going to on the rest of the car, i guess new brake/fuel lines etc, a new loom might be worth it and in the long run less hasstle. it would be a shame to have made the rest good just to be let down by electrical gremlins.

i used a lucas uniloom from premier wiring, good value for money, and loads of good support from them. the kit comes with eerything you  need including connectors and a wire stripper/crimper tool.

edt:perksy thanks for the info on the cam cover, must have missed it before.

• 2 weeks later...

Engine starting to come together  

Due to budget Its Not having a full strip & Re-build and is just having the basics plus anything thats found

So far the Water pump & Oil pump are being replaced

It will then have a New cam belt kit and some ARP rod bolts

There's a few bits missing from the engine that Dave is going to source

and also the sump & oil pick-up pipe will need replacing

Engine on the stand for a photo

P1010003.jpg

Dave

Ready for Collection Mate....

Done.jpg

Its looking a bit grubby Perks......can't stand messy engineers  :D

• 1 month later...

I'm BACK!

Been a while, had an extension done  :oops:  :blush:

Finally moving back home this weekend! There will be a serious amount of cleaning of the garage and then I am back onto it. Feel really motivated to get cracking now and get the car finished this year.

Need a ride out to put the smile back on my face if anyone has an empty passanger seat  :D

• 2 months later...

...well I'm back, sadly once again there is very little to progress. Much has changed in the last 6 months, other than the Westy.

I drew up our extension, sent it off for planning (can of worms), was involved heavily in building the extension, fitted the kitchen, landscaped the garden and re-decorated pretty much the whole downstairs. Coupled to the fact work has been ‘hectic’ with time spent away, I feel rather defeated. Can anyone help me, I seem to have lost me mojo  :down:

Did a drift day again with Westfield, cant wait to get back into it but the build, well...

I was thinking of stocking up the beer fridge (now in garage), firing up the BBQ, booking a week off work and then 'break its back'

I cant be the first to feel like this, can I? If I had the money, I'd sell this overnight and buy another, ready built.

Please help me  :D

Oh dear     :oops:

and there was me just about to email you and see how far off finished it was mate    :oops:     :D

To be fair i think there was abit more to this project than what you first thought

Couple of thoughts

Either get it to a rolling stage and then sit down and have a think, If the Mojo returns you'll finish it    ;)

OR mojo doesn't/Isn't going to return & you *might* just decide to cut your losses, sell it and move on    ???    :suspect:

Afraid only you know how you really feel about it Mate...

Feel free to phone if you want     :t-up:

If you build it, in 5 years time when theres another "top 3" thread, you can stick ity in as the car you hated, but strangely loved :D

Dave

I think its just the fact that you've been doing too much :down:  - I too built my own extension, gutting and refurbing the whole house at the same time as well - mind you it took me a lot longer than 6 months, but on finishing it, all I wanted to do was come back from work and sit in front of the telly and relax :zzz:  - the last thing I wanted to do at the time was to go in the garage. My advice would be to forget about the car for a while and take it easy then hopefully you will get bored as I did and the urge to get the car done should come back. Alternatively you could invite WSCC members around for a car building weekend. :p  

Cheers

Bud