The Rebuild Diary...

devans414

Welcome one, welcome all to my build diary. Here I plan to keep you updated over the coming months as I rebuild / build my new toy.

The idea of this thread is to hopefully force me to document the build and use the forum as a source of knowledge along the way. Having little in the form of any experience of this sort of thing, it aint going to be easy!

So with beer tokens at the ready (plenty  :D ), let the build commence...

Post No.1

Today was spent further stripping the car down. All electrics, fuel lines and brake lines are out. Started to remove the aluminium panels, a real s****y job, have gone through 4 drill bits already! Unfortunately there is a combination of rusted screws and rivets holding the panels in, a mission to get out and thats before trying to beat the silicone!

100_1599.jpg

Ollie is coming to have a look at the chassis tomorrow night, will be fitting new engine mounting plates, lowered floor and welding all the holes in the chassis! (not tomorrow!!)

Will be looking for some advice in the coming days about :

1. floor vs. top mounted pedals

2. where / how to position the oil cooler

3. steering colum design

4. Salvage / redo the electrics...

100_1611.jpg

Will be more detailed next time, must dash, nappy to change  :bangshead:

:laugh:

BTW, is that Lumenition module / box thingy worth anything???

The loom looks a real mess I would start again. Looks like a good project though look forward to seeing progress over the next few weeks, on the road in time for August :D  :D

The loom looks a real mess I would start again.

It might be worth buying a new one from the Factory.

Rory's Dad

I have thought about taking on such a project with my car - will see how much hair you lose first though before attempting the same job my own one  :laugh:

Not that it needs it mind - just that I would like to say that I've done it as I got my westie the easy/lazy way - bought it already built!

Good luck with the build thread.

You might find sone usefull info in my build threadhere

It turns out to be quiet a lot of work to keep it updated but well worth it.

Chaz.

love a good build thread - shame there are not more TBH

good luck - oh and take lots of pictures, they help a lot when you come to rebuild - have you marked up your loom or are you confident with your electrics?

looking forwards to this  :t-up:

· Posted on Jun. 03 2010,08:08

Good luck with the build thread.

You might find sone usefull info in my build threadhere

It turns out to be quiet a lot of work to keep it updated but well worth it.

Chaz.

Cheers Chaz, it's your rebuild thats got me into this mess  :p

Where did you get the chassis sand blasted and powder coated, can you remember approximate ££?

· Posted on Jun. 03 2010,08:11

love a good build thread - shame there are not more TBH

good luck - oh and take lots of pictures, they help a lot when you come to rebuild - have you marked up your loom or are you confident with your electrics?

looking forwards to this  :t-up:

Electrics all Dyno labled up, fingers crossed. Might re-do the loom / start from scratch

• 1 month later...

Post No. 2

Right then folks, have been a busy few weeks so progress has been some what a bit slow. Baby Orlaith still remains nocturnal! However I plan to be all over it like a rash and have booked a week off to work on it at the end of the month.

Today was spent preparing the chasis, for all the holes from the old rivets to be welded. There will also be some additions to the chassis such a a lowered floor plan, 6 point harness, new engine mounting points, oil cooler and I am planning on fixing the scuttle with rivnuts to enable quick on - off.

Chassis has been marked up with a paint pen, all 578 of them!

DSC03517.jpg

I have been contemplating whether ornot to swap the standard Westfield diff for a LSD as the car will be track biased. Question is, how easy is the job to do? As far as I can see, I will need additional brackets to support it, is that right? Heere is a photo of how it is now...

DSC03528.jpg

The other question is, would I still be able to use the existing drive shafts (splined)?

Have been able to progress with setting the garage up for the build, I have put a fuse board in the garage so should something happen SWMBO wouldnt notice! 6 additional sockets are in and the poxy 40w will be replaced by 2 5ft strip lights tomorrow.

DSC03523.jpg

Once the chassis is back, it will need to be painted.  As I see it the top 2 options are powdercoat (pricy?) or POR 15 (pricy as well?). Does anyone fancy throwing their knowledge into the ring on this one, what to use / how to apply it? Have I missed any other options?

On the lookout for something to use as a build stand if anyone has anything taking up room that I could borrow for beer tokens  :p  Anyone???

And to end todays entry, I have worked out that £250 / month overpayments on the mortgage will save me £25k in interest  :0  :bangshead:

...what will I spend that on  :devil:

...oh yeah and I found this ruddy great big hole in the chassis and its not from rust!!!

DSC03525.jpg

Dave, If its of any interest Dave Mathias has a build stand for sale? I have his contact details if you want them?

Stu,

Cheers bud drop me a PM with the details if you dont mind.