The Rebuild Diary...

devans414

· Posted on Dec. 12 2010,18:25

PU adhesive from somewher like screwfix ok?

Try PU40 sealant. I`ve used it several times in the past on my van and can comfirm it sticks like the proverial to a blanket.

HTH

Thanks for that. 2 Questions...

1. How many will I need?

2. What colour, black or clear were my thoughts???

Thanks in advance.

· Posted on Dec. 12 2010,18:26

whoa hold up there guys ............... the back panel you have is for a new model westfield and will fit fine to a new car.

The chassis you have is much older (as seen by diff casing and mounts)

Its no good buying new off the shelf parts from westfield and expecting them to fit without problems to this chassis  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

A lot has changed to westfields since your chassis was made and parts are not always readily available, I hope you don't need new rear wishbones because they aren't stock items either  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :down:  if you think that anything behind seats will not be stock off the shelf you'll be fine  ;)  ;)  ;)

Unfortunately it indeed an 'old' chassis. I bought it off a chap on the bay of E, it is for a widebody so thought (not assumed because that is never good!) it would fit....DOH

:durr:

Had some fun cutting more ally today, turns out you can't 'just mirror' it, 5mm diference in places!!

Just had a thought, I have a full new body for the car, does anyone know of any issues I may face fitting this bearing in mind the problem with the back panel  :suspect:

bodywork should be fine wuv

· Posted on Dec. 12 2010,21:17

bodywork should be fine wuv

:blush:  Excellent!

The nose cone mounting points might be different, older ones were fixed on by dais fasteners, newer by bolts/Rivnuts. Should be dead easy to sort though :t-up:

· Posted on Dec. 12 2010,21:26

The nose cone mounting points might be different, older ones were fixed on by dais fasteners, newer by bolts/Rivnuts. Should be dead easy to sort though :t-up:

Should be ok, I have got the FW front end. Thats fixed with a much stronger *NOT* piano hinge, might need to look at how we do that, one gust of wind  :blush:  and its gone!!  :bangshead:

as others you might need to fabricate some additional bracketry here and there but with patience the bodywork will fit  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

If you ever need to buy anything from factory speak to Gavin Prosser, Chris Ball, Russell Lee or Mark Walker and tell them the age of your chassis - they have been there a long time and know all the changes and differences  ;)  ;)

WOW, your doing a fantastic job on the old girl, she will be a really nice car when finished.

I'm really impressed and look forward to seeing her finished!

I have now filled the hole in the garage with another project, it's just too hard not to have a westy to tinker with!

Will post some pic's when i get a chance to go into the garage!

Andy

P.S. Was the engine stock or did you say there had been some head work done? I bought it thinking it was stock???????

P.S. Was the engine stock or did you say there had been some head work done? I bought it thinking it was stock???????

Andy

Engine is at mine for some minor works at the moment

Looks standard although it has got the large port cylinderhead

First time i've had a good look at one of these and they look a nice little engine

Think the biggest issue will be sorting the sump out

Cheers

Perksy       :t-up:

· Posted on Dec. 12 2010,21:57

WOW, your doing a fantastic job on the old girl, she will be a really nice car when finished.

I'm really impressed and look forward to seeing her finished!

I have now filled the hole in the garage with another project, it's just too hard not to have a westy to tinker with!

Will post some pic's when i get a chance to go into the garage!

Andy

P.S. Was the engine stock or did you say there had been some head work done? I bought it thinking it was stock????

Cheers bud, what project you got going on now then?

BTW, read this the other day...

Just needs a few weekends work to get it up and running but work and my new TVR are getting in the way of me finishing it so here it is a nice simple project with NO SVA / IVA to worry about.

A FEW weekends indeed!!

:durr:  :suspect:  :0  :D  :p  :laugh:

Perksy,

I will drop you a message tonight, sorry I havent been able to reply sooner!

:durr:

I also need to drop off the paint if you are about at the weekend?

Good evnin all.

Time for another update and as always not all has gone to plan. SWMBO has noot been well at all so my day that I booked off to work on the car was spent looking after the littlun and unfortunately she isnt any good for helping me yet  :D

Still, I have been fitting in the dd hour here and there to at least move forward a little bit. Some tips for anyone embarking on the same journey, here are some of the things that I have 'learnt' while doing the ally.

Prep : Make sure you have a radio!  :D

DSC03713.jpg

Step 1 : Make templates out of copious amounts of paper, now is the time to get it wrong / assume that your chassis is square etc  :bangshead:

Step 2 : Trace these templates out onto the ally, making sure they are the correct way round.

Step 3 : Cut the ally shape out and mask all of the edges on both sides (this makes removing the protective film easier after you have drilled the holes)

Step 4 : Clamp to the chassis and 'fettle' the ally, step 1 is no good if its raining s the paper distorts  :bangshead:

DSC03715.jpg

Step 5 : Using premade template, mark out holes to be drilled before clamping the ally to the chassis.

DSC03710.jpg

Step 6 : Starting in each corner, drill holes for rivets and place random rivets in to stop any movement.

Step 7 : Remove panel and de-burr the holes drilled.

Step 8 : Silicone chassis where panel is to be located, ensure that 'enough' is applied and go over drilled holes. I have used this silicone adhesive by loctite, sticks like dog S*** and get everywhere!

DSC03722.jpg

Step 9 : Locate ally and place all rivets into position.

DSC03718.jpg

Step 10 : Rivet the panel on, ensure that the wife or anyone offended by expletives are not present for this tage as it is custom to t**t your knuckles and clamp your fingers  :bangshead:   :blush:

The 'front' of the lowered floor will be done in steel in case of any collisions with stones, birds etc  :p

I am going to buy some more ally and redo the back panel something like what I need. Other than that the passanger side transmition tunel needs finishing and I'm done.

I wont rivet the tranny tunnel bits on until the engine is in and working.

Next up is to order the bits for the brakes and fuel, will have a rolling chassis next week with a bit of luck  :xmas: