The Rebuild Diary...

devans414

Thanks for the replies chaps, guess I just need to man up :D  

Alternatively you could invite WSCC members around for a car building weekend. :p  

;)  Now there is an idea! Who fancies open access to a beer fridge, bbq 'til your hearts content and the chance to 'ave a go  :D

...got me thinking.

oh go on then il be around tommorow night

Make a hit list of stuff to do to the Westie, prioritised with the big stuff at the top.

You'll feel much more enthused once you've knocked a couple of big 'uns off the list.

DAMHIKIJFKOK... :blush:

Most people have a bit of a stall/lull/hiatus mid-stream in a build/rebuild....It's fairly normal as far as I can see....

Go for it, up and at 'em, strap a pair on and give it a good kicking etc, etc... :t-up:  :D

• 7 months later...

Right,

I think it would only do the car, Dave and all the guys who have helped justice if I continued my build on this thread. So here goes...

I have a van booked and am heading up of Friday to collect it from Dave. When it is in its new home I will take some start state pictures - also so you can all get super jealous of my workshop and facilities!!

Looking forward to it Dan! :d

Got a van first thing this morning and drove to Daves where we managed to get the chassis and everything heavy into the bottom of the van:

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

I wanted to keep all the body panels away from the chassis, engine and everything else metal which could damage them. I managed to borrow a helicopter underslung load net (bit overkill - but it did the job), which we cable tied across the upper horizontal struts in the van. This gave a platform for the body panels. I was pretty proud of my idea.

Obviously I made dave do all the hard work while I supervised from my recently purchased chair:

IMG_0215.jpg

It was all in, paperwork done and time to be on my way. Managed to fit it all into the van with ease. No too much space and everything was pretty much wedged well.

IMG_0216.jpg

It took me 3 1/2 hours to get back, but with such excitement at getting the car into my workshop I drove the whole way without a break! Time to unload and I had arranged for a couple of my mates to meet me when I got back to give me a hand (must get them a beer!). I didn't take a photo of how I got the rolling chassis out, which I should have done really. I backed the truck unto my well overkill scissor lift and put it up so it was at the same height as the back of the truck - rolled the chassis out and louvered it onto the build trolley. Job done, no stress or strain!!

Unloaded everything and realised that I was a bit tight for space in the workshop - may have to do some rearranging!

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

So, I need to return the van tomorrow morning and then come back and have a good tinker. I am going to asses where I am with everything before I come up with a plan of what I am going to do when. My aim is to have it almost completed by the end of May - wish me luck!!!

Dan

Wish I had that much room to work on my car!

Best of luck, looking forward to a happy ending!

Wish I had that much room to work on my car!

Best of luck, looking forward to a happy ending!

Aye, that much room and still have a roof over your head :d

Seriously though, good luck with the build, there's been some cracking work on it so far, looking forward to seeing it progress.

Oh and if you could sneak some more of the cool big boys toys in the background into some of the shots, that'd be :cool: too.

(something about Landies and Seven type cars that just seem to go together :d )

My aim is to have it almost completed by the end of May - wish me luck!!!

Dan

Push the boat out, aim to take it to Stoneleigh :d

Thanks for the support. I am taking 2 weeks off over easter, so may have it ready for Stoneleigh - I will try!

I am not the CO (fair way off it), but it is my workshop, so I can kind of do what I like in it.

I will try and get some photos of other 'big boys toys' in the background.

So I have had a good tinker and look at where I am at. I think my plan of action is as follows:

Finish brake system.

Check over all the mechanical elements already assembled, and complete a couple of tasks.

Fuel system.

Wiring loom

Other electrics

Engine and gearbox

Body and many other tasks - will re-assess at this point.

The pedal box is still in a box (in bits) and seems like a nightmare of a task. Does anyone have any drawings or photos of what it is meant to look like?

I started to pain the callipers last night while watching the Rugby, hopefully I will have them finished by the end of today, photos will be up later. I am also going to try and get some new seals for them. I guess they were replaced when they were put on, but they have sat for a while and started to show signs of the rubber breaking down and forming cracks. Better to be safe and replace I think - I am not going to take any chances with the brakes.

Do you have the build manual?