The Rebuild Diary...

devans414

Don't think your photo links are working Dan

Working fine here fo me :yes: Great progress so far Dan, keep up the good work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have been extremely busy recently, so have been cracking work, but not updating you - apologies. Here goes.

I was using my small tool set and finding that there were lots of things I needed that I didn't have - so I signed one of these out of our store - my efficiency has increased because I don't spent loads of time looking for the right tool.

IMG_0255.jpg

This is the state of the car about 2 weeks ago:

IMG_0256.jpg

Also my car seems to have found a friend, one of my Sgts has decided that he fancies a little project too; I might have started a trend!

IMG_0257.jpg

I decided to concentrate on getting the controls finished. I decided to put a sierra pedal box in that I found cheap on ebay. I had to do some chopping of pedals because they were too long and again found myself making brackets. The first I made was massive, ugly and not really fit for purpose. On the 3rd iteration I had something which while not beautiful works.

IMG_0259.jpg

It has all been painted up now and with POR 15 and looks a little nicer than in this photo.

IMG_0258.jpg

The pedal box does stick up a little, but I intend to cover it with a small carbon wrap aluminium box.

IMG_0260.jpg

I also fixed the steering column with again some fairly nifty little brackets - my welding is getting much better!! There was a clio indicator stalk in one of the boxes which I like the idea of to reduce the clutter on the dashboard. I followed the thread on here which someone wrote and here are the results:

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

So this was the state of the car last week end. I found out that I have to go away for a month after easter so have been steaming ahead this week. I have been working from 1700 till 1130 each night. Without photos at the moment I have done the following:

Installed all the cooling system.

Installed accelerator cable.

Completed fuel system.

Finished and bled the brake system.

Moved the sump plug on the sump.

Replaced sump including self made gasket.

Rigged a simple circuit to get the car started.

95% completed the wiring loom checks and alterations. It will go in next weekend.

STARTED THE ENGINE!!!! And here is a video...it is really smoky because I have not rigged up the breathers properly.

th_IMG_0268.jpg

I had a few problems and it has taken me quite a while to get it started! My main problem was the crank position sensor. This engine was built with a Cam position sensor only. It is critical that it goes in the right location and while I had an idea from looking at pictures on the web I did not know exactly where it needed to go without an original bracket. So I made an adjustable bracket by measuring the distance from the centre of the pulley to where the sensor mounts and using this distance as the diameter for my mount. This enables the sensor to move around the pulley and stay at the correct distance - again a real test for my welding skills. The first time it fired I got really excited and in my joy forgot to turn off the switch I had going to the starter motor. The result was 1 burnt out starter!! We have some scrapped cars on the airfield and by chance there was a Corsa there, which became my starter motor donor! Later on yesterday it also became the donor for the engine breather pipes which massively reduced the smoke emitted by the engine. I did find out that the clutch was not working and that my cooling system has a leak, but I am sure that I will get those sorted in time.

I feel that I have reached a milestone - I have got a week over easter to spend every single minute of the day on it - so it should come along nicely then.

More pics to follow.

Dan

• 1 month later...

Made quite a bit of progress...

Bonnet on.

IMG_0277.jpg

Aligning the body.

IMG_0282.jpg

Carbon fibre dash.

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

Switches and dials.

IMG_0330.jpg

Filler cap.

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

LED Lights all round.

IMG_0332.jpg

My lads idea of humour - really funny actually!!

IMG_0361.jpg

MOT passes, insured and taxed -road legal!!

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

Looks like I met my end of May deadline :-) ...and in totl I have been away for a month with work.

Great to see it on the road, and that rarest of beasts, one tht beat the project deadline!

• 10 months later...

Great looking car and nice to see it on the road...... Was once in my ownership!!! :t-up:

looks good mate - dont know how you cope in such a small workshop.... :d

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have to admit that it was tough - too much space and you start losing things! I'm sure there is a compromise somewhere. Anyway, I have been busy I've the winter building an enclosed trailer for the car because I'm moving in Nivember and there are no garages where I am going. I will hopefully get some pictures up soon. Hoping to get the car back on the road again for the summer, but have done a few alterations. Hydraulic clutch, OBP pedal box with dual brake master cylinders and a new carb linkage kit. All in all it's in hits at the moment, but will be back together in about a weeks time.

Welcome back Dan, good to catch up with progress again!

One extreme to another garage wise  :laugh: 

Will look forward to some pics.

Where is the best place to put my Trailer Build Diary - I have started a blog, but am not sure if this is right??

A blog is fine! (If you want more comments etc, Tech Talk might suit more though).