First impression on this car?

Old Biker

Please do not forget that they are very very very reliable. I would always recomend them over other ECU's to those that do not want to touch the ECU, for this very reason coupled with the fact that it does what you want it to.

So im guessing that you think that other ECU's Dont do what you want them too and there not reliable ???

FACT Webber Alpha units have a down side you CANT fiddle with them at all not even a little bit and its not until you want to change something that you realise how much of a draw back this is.

IF you want a unit that is locked and you dont want to "fiddle" with it consider Dunnel's system which is excellent but agfain locked.

IF you want to have a play your main stream options are as follows MBE, Omex and my personell favorite Emerald.

Let me explain something here the Emerald system is all singing all dancing it  can controll when your rad fan comes on and goes off has a shift light , tell tale, full throttle gear changes traction control and the ECU is capable of learning and will ajust the map to suit your driving style and has three sperate maps that you can flick between at will all for £580.00 and here's the best bit when they update there software to what ever magic it will now be cappable of YOU can update your ECU with the new software taking advatage of all the updates and its so simple even a grandmother could do it.

So you see other systems can offer more alot more and I wouldent want to be tied to having to go to Webber Alpha dealers to get ANYTHING done. its o.k if you have one local but if not it can be a huge pain in the A***.

Oh and the Eclectronic bits on the scuttle are amplifiers.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Biker

• James

• 7sRWild

• Mark (smokey mow)

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting read, the last set of additions.  The various points made on the ECU are understood and as I said earlier, I don't think I will be tinkering at this stage of my career.  The potential problem with the unprotected cam belt makes a lot of sense.  With a mesh inside the air scoop that will sort the problem out from the top but as yet not aware of what could be done to prevent pick up from the road from under the car other than put the original cover on the cam belt.  Not the end of the world.  As metaphors go, yours is quite interesting though.

Looked at your car Juansolo.  As the others who commented say, it is a good piece of engineering.  I would need to tone it down for a bit of tame road driving (windscreen, wipers, weather top, heater/demist, old mans seats etc) which would stretch my budget but thanks for pointing it out.  Same goes for the link you offered James at nearly £10K, good car though.

Thank you for all the pointers.  Soaking them up like a sponge.

Just looked back and James' latest addition singing the paraises of Emerald had appeared.  Sounds like a comprehensive system.  Thanks.

One thing you need to bare in mind is as your knowledge increase's you will start to want to make changes, therefore having a platform that will alow you to make these changes will save you money in the long run. So whilst you dont want to play at the moment it is good to have components that alow yot to upgrade easily & I defy you not to get upgradeitis.

Dont worry too much about the exposed Cam belt thing all of my cars have had exposed belts, Mark isnt incorrect in his statement but its not always that simple sometimes there not left open beacuse of "bling" mine for instance cant have a cover fitted because its too close to the bonnet so I except the compromise.

Besides for the miles the car does the risk is negligible.

James,

All points taken.  I will try and get the best I can for the money I've got as I know that 'upgraditis' will take hold.  Despirately trying to keep my feet on the ground - I haven't got a car to upgrade yet!

Hav'nt got mine yet either and I am already looking at BHP increase, wider track, etc, etc, good hunting .  ENJOY... :p  :p  :laugh:

Judging by the content of this topic I don't know what I want yet but as you say, I am going to enjoy the process.  Good luck with you seach as well.

Looked at your car Juansolo.  As the others who commented say, it is a good piece of engineering.  I would need to tone it down for a bit of tame road driving (windscreen, wipers, weather top, heater/demist, old mans seats etc) which would stretch my budget but thanks for pointing it out.

I wouldn't go back to windscreen again, it's more of a liability than anything else. In my experience:  Running with a screen without doors creates the most unholy sort of turbulence that's worse than running with no windscreen at all. With doors it restricts your arm. The roof is nigh on useless and the heater keeps your knees warm (engine does that anyhow). The screen also slows you down, breaks all the b****y time and requires you fit loads of heavy kit to your car (wiper motors, heaters, the screen itself, yadda). Nope screens are evil.

What you need for when you're cruising is:

A sensible hat

Ushanka.JPG

and some gogglage

TEPS-basic.jpg

When moving rapidly or on the motorway i recommend a helmet.

It's all part of the fun ;)

Juansolo,

Thank you for the illuminating reply.  Completely happy with the approach you have with the following reservations:

Intend to use the car (some of the time) for a bit of touring with my better half.  As you know, in this fine land of ours, accurately forecasting the weather for that period of time is a tad risky!

Reasonably happy to stray upwards of the cars fighting weight to add a  few creature comforts although I wasn't aware that the roof is not that effective.

Interesting to note the level of turbulence when driving without doors as well.  As you say, all part of the experience.

Happy with the driving gear though.  Luckily, like you, I am good looking enough to get away with it!

Old Biker, if you go for the roof option then talking from experience there will be a few compromises, don't expect it to be a 100% effective and expect a few other discomforts.

I was fordced to do 6 hours driving back from LeMans this year in a thunderstorm with the hood up, it wasn't the most pleasent of experiences but that said if I had no roof then I feel I would have suffered a lot more.  The hood is 100% efficient at heeping the water off your head but expect to get water in around the back of the doors near your elbows where these close against the hood and and also at the front where the doors close against the body, water thrown off the front wheels finds it's way through but i normally stuff a rag down there to catch most of it.  If the pedal box cover and scuttle haven't been sealed or siliconed then you'll also find they spray within the engine bay will gather on the aluminium shelf in front of the scuttle and find it's way through into the footwell.  

The other negative of the hood is noise, the roof seems to amplify the exhaust and engine noise and it will start to get painful after an hours driving, I now carry ear plugs for roof up driving after making that mistake.

After my 6 hour drive I had wet legs from the knees down a damp right elbow and my ears were ringing for the rest of the night but I was still drier than if I didn't have a hood up.  The alternative without a hood is full waterproofs and a crash helmet.

A search will show that the arguments for and against a screen have been debated many times and the decision ultimately can only be your own.  From a personal point of view I have a screen and use doors as my car is predominantly for touring and I don't want to have to wear a helmet (which will also mess up my hair :D )on a hot day to keep stones and birds from hitting me in the face.  If my car was more track orientated and I was thristy for more speed then I'll fit an aero.

EDIT TO ADD: The effectiveness of a hood is also dependant on how well it's been fitted so when buying ask the seller to show you how to put it up (it's a bit like pitching a tent) sit in the car, fix the doors closed and then have a look around the edges of the doors and screen for daylight shining through.  

This is mine and you can see that I didn't quite get the fit right behind the doors above the rear arches as the fabrics not properly tensioned.

IMG_1899.jpg

Smokey Mow,

Thanks for the insight.  I accept that the weather gear will not be completely effective.  This is something that I have expected otherwise I would be looking for a 'tin top' (getting into this now!).  The noise is no suprise either.  I guess these facets are all part of the experience.  Presumably the level of fit is dependent on where the builder drills the original holes for the fixings.  Another point to make sure I confirm when I buy.  Thanks for the info.

Just a few points to add about hoods and screens.

I know I couldn't get into a Westfield with a hood - my poor old back is no longer capable of the necessary convolutions.  My second Westfield had an aeroscreen - well actually more of an aerolip - but I 'felt' exposed and did not enjoy the helmet experience.  So I went back to a screen but I have small perspex wind deflectors which reduce the buffeting considerably.

It's down to personal choice and, as had been said before, get yourself some rides in various Westfields to see what's best for you  :)  :)

Rory's Dad

Rory's Dad,

Useful additions, thank you.

I too am about a flexible as a brick!  So getting in/out might be entertaining.

I don't know but I think persuading my wife to put a helmet on would be as fraut with danger as trying to bath a cat!

Noted the side screens before and it sounds as if they work or at least make a difference.  I think the end result for me will be a screen with the addition of the deflectors along the full wet rig for those good English summer days.

img src="http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac92/7sRwild/westfDSC00146.jpg">

Found my baby, wind deflectors an all, hope this link works. Keep looking Biker.

Oops never was good at this. Sorry. will figure this out..