• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Target Times

Terry Everall

OK, here's my 2 cents (seeing as I'm currently on a short contract as a laboratory slave in Massachussets).

I've *never* competed in a WSCC Sprint round before, making my comments worthless, but I have taken the ASWMC title for 3 years with a Brick. That Brick has now been essentially excluded for 2010 due to class changes (small bike engined Bricks now not on), so I'm outta that one entirely.... I digress... but they've also changed the scoring. It used to be a point based thing on a Bogey Time. This BT was either a previous record, or a fabricated time based on a best guess 'in viro', set in stome for the year. So if it was wet, no points, but one helluva good time, it was dry, you stood a chance of some points as well. Familiar problems though, the previous year may have left some stonking times by a few individuals with either far too much horsepower, or money (or both), perhaps even talent too, effectively ruling out any points attainable in  the following year. These times were never really 'moderated' in my opinion, so classes became effectively closed to those seeking pots. OK, so if you're there for the fun, no problem, but I can see the pot-hunter may have a problem with this (among other problems, but I won't elaborate). For the ASWMC you need simply look up a certain R1oT which basically annihilated B2. In B3, if someone turned up with a 300 bhp VX, you might as well have gone home if you wanted a pot.

So... for 2010 the ASWMC have gone for a position-based system. No BT, no nothing, so it's you and your competitor. This, to me isn't a great idea. The pot-hunter need only enrol his wife, do one greatly quicker run, and then go home. It requires a good head of competition, which in the case of our mythical 300 bhp VX driver, probably isn't there. I guess if someone is that determined to get a pot though, they probably need a 'life'.

British Sprint has an interesting mathematical derivation that appears to use FTD, percentages on BT's and a host of other things. Cornish Speed (don't laugh), uses BT's, an interesting percentage derivation and looks quite reasonable. Both schemes appear to work in the wet, take account of the opposition, etc. Cornish Speed even takes the BT's from non-Championship cars, so it's not entirely an easy process...

So, what's my answer, dunno. Enjoy driving your brick as fast as you can... but the last examples look the fairer.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davidgh

• Mark Stanton

• V 8

• mark.anson