Speed Series classes for 2010

Terry Everall

At the Yorks meeting the issue was raised about tyres and aero screens in particular with reference to Classes A,B,C and D
by whom and why not contact the SS Organising team direct for full clarification  ???  ???  ???

now't "T" do wi me gaffer ;)  ;) yorks meet to far to go for us on a work night ;)  :laugh:  :laugh:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Stanton

• SteveD

• Terry Everall

• Mid life crisis

and you always ask anyway Mr P  :D  :D  :D

I'm asking !!!! and to stir the cauldron a tad harder. When are we going to have an 8 valve historic class.

That should do it Terry, wait for the 16 valve silence, or you can go and join another series !!!!!

Draft fixtures have already been noted for 2010 all you have to do is look on SS pages - there's also a photo of Tim Nunns car to the right of em  :D

Cheers Mark :)  I've eventually found it using the autosport link, but I couldn't find any direct link to that page from the SS tab on the main WSCC site.  :durr:

Steve P drags out the same record for another year in vain hope as technology and dveleopments mover ever further forward the dinosaur award will remain covered in dust awaiting Time Team to come along  :D  :D  :D  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Nowt wrong with historic low cost competition, not everyone wants to show the thickness of their wallet in order to be competitive, or spend ££££ on finding the latest technology.

Have one of those computer type things at home that still runs windows 98, does email and browses the tinternet.  Aint broke >>>>>>>>>>

You never know Mark the SS may get more entries on a regular basis if there was a closely fought low cost 8 valve class. £15k + for a club class championship car, NO THANKS!

perception Mr P merely perception  ;) Mr Nunn hasn't spent anything like that and he was fighting for title right to the last event and take a look at both Mr Pennington and Mr Hill every year they beat much more financed cars with talent and ability  :D  :D  :D  ;)

Draft fixtures have already been noted for 2010 all you have to do is look on SS pages - there's also a photo of Tim Nunns car to the right of em  :D

Cheers Mark :)  I've eventually found it using the autosport link, but I couldn't find any direct link to that page from the SS tab on the main WSCC site.  :durr:

clicky anyone  :laugh:

Dear me Mark it's like a stuck record, Nunn, Pennington, Hill as an answer every year. I agree these guys are very talented drivers and each of them, if they felt inclined could get into more advanced machinery and win the Speed Series outright.

But the point I am trying to make is that a low cost 8 valve class will encourage more owners to enter there Xflows and Pintos knowing they will be competing against similar age machinery on a level playing field. There will always of course be people with fat wallets who will stretch the spirit of low cost competition, but on the whole it will be good for are sport.

As an illustration my neighbor has been looking at buying a westy for the last couple of years, and fancies a shot at the SS but is put off by the cost of a competitive car and will probably go for another mark.

I really don't understand the dogged resistance to a low cost 8 valve class which I, and I am sure others would support, as an alternative to track days.

clicky anyone  :laugh:

http://www.wscc.co.uk/sport/

i think the people who want to compete in a 8 valve class would be very limited personally,and dont think it would warrant its own class ,as more people are going for more advanced newer engines ,if your going to start fine tuning classes ie 8 valve you will have to restructure every class to please everyone and that just wont work ,whatever classes you have you cant please everyone there will allways be someone moaning about summat ,steve

ps can i have a green s/c honda elise class pwease  :t-up:

I happen to partially agree with MLC and understand his sentiment BUT it doesnt have to cost a fortune to have a competitive 8v car which can mix it with more higher powered machinery. I have learned over the years that just a few choice cost effective parts can turn even a mediocre car into a competive one.  :)

Steve the total number of drivers competing and scoring points in "D" this year were 2. Paul Eden and Antony Burris.  The total drivers in "A" in 2007 running 8 valve cars were over 10.

Why don't the SS have a straw pole of the general membership as to the possible interest in an 8 valve class, then take from there. The club is there for us all isn't it.

Dear me Mark it's like a stuck record
ker-ching  :D  :D  :D  ;)  ;)  :devil: and each year you trot out the 8V ad each year guys are still competitive on budgets  ;)  ;)  :D

John L and Steve have made some valid points and no-one is disagreeing with your sentiment ......... however it doesn't work as simply as you perceive it to  :down:  :down: and now that all sounds very patronising and its not meant to  :down:

Send your neighbour down to a paddock and perhaps let him have view of other competitors and see what he wants to do  :) and even if he buys something else he can still join in with our guest classes  :)

Mark the only reason I raise this each year is because I genuinely believe we are missing a trick and can involve many more members and drivers into the SS. I am not doing this for my own benefit. I am far too old and knackered to compete with SH, TN and Mr P.

However look at the stats Mark.

This years SS point scoring:-

A     B    C    D   E     F    G    H    J1   J2   J3

5     6   12   2   14   17   6   10   2    1    7

A, B, C and D are unique from all other classes in SS, that despite having their own class, winners of A and B can not win the overall Speed Series without scoring better comparable times than there fellow competitors in C and D.

In all other classes the Novice drivers points are calculated against 1st the drivers in their class and 2nd overall performance against other SS novices.

If A/C and B/D were amalgamated the separation of points could still be calculated in the same way as all other classes, thus giving a C and D Novice winner, and freeing up A and B for 8 valve classes with Novice and Expert in line with the rest of the series.

Based on this years results the entry would look something like this:-

A         B          C     D   E     F     G   H    J1   J2   J3

Open   Open   17   8   14   17   6   10   2    1    7

This would not disadvantage any current drivers but would open the series up to more low cost entry level 8 valve competitors.

Edited to add:-  Sorry Mark forgot to add.

My neighbour has been attending SS events over the past two years, taking photographs and interacting with the drivers in the SS padock.

He is keen to become a part of the overall Westfield SS experiance, but as most of us have to, needs to justify the expenditure to SWMBO.

He is looking to spend possibly £5 k on a toy he can have some fun with at weekends, maybe a bit of motorsport, this is 8 valve territory.

Nuf said.