• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• Graeme

• perksy

• brindle

Anyone got an idea on why I can no longer contact sellers or reply to for sale topics?

Rgds

Graeme

You Need to be a Full Member and not a Boardroom user i'm afraid

Ok thanks for the info Perksy - would sellers on here know that if they don't put an e-mail or phone number in their adverts and relyon the "msg me" option they are potentially restricting their audience?

I will take up a membership if / when I get another Westie - I will trawl Pistonheads and see if the cars I am interested are up for sale there!

What was it you wanted to buy?  :)

Ok thanks for the info Perksy - would sellers on here know that if they don't put an e-mail or phone number in their adverts and relyon the "msg me" option they are potentially restricting their audience?

I will take up a membership if / when I get another Westie - I will trawl Pistonheads and see if the cars I am interested are up for sale there!

For me the point is that often stuff goes up for sale for less than it would sell on ebay for example because as 'a club' you want to help out your fellow club members.  if anyone could PM, you would have all sorts trying to snap up cheap / bargain items so they could stick em on ebay.  

There is a set of split rims with nearly new tyres on the for sale section that are a steal.  If I hadn't have bought new tyres last week I would snap them up.  of course, I could buy them and stick em on ebay and make a few quid - but that wouldn't be in keeping with the 'club' ethics.

Of course anyone could pay the fee and join and do this, but I suspect that they would soon find that they didnt get first dibs on stuff very often!!

But - Hope you get a westy soon and join up - the more members the better :t-up:  :t-up:

taking away PM rights was knee jerk and not needed ....  people don't sell on here at special discounted club rates .. your not niave enough to think that surely

And for cars for sale i doubt  many become members before buying a car , they may be considering several makes and models at the time .

And for cars for sale i doubt  many become members before buying a car , they may be considering several makes and models at the time .

Agreed on this point, I wouldn't join the club before buying the car. I'd want the option of contacting sellers first, as I did in my case ;)

Can of worms open no doubt :oops:  :arse:

people don't sell on here at special discounted club rates .. your not niave enough to think that surely

Obviously I am naive. :p

Buy hey - that's just my humble opinion.

Everybody sitting Comfortably    ???

Right then,  Here We go Again     :oops:      :devil:

Oh no - what have I done. :bangshead:

That's it - this is my last post on this thread!!!

Harv - its all about opinions I guess, neither of us are right, neither of us are wrong.

:t-up:  :t-up:

I really think people sell parts on here for what they feel is a fair price , comparing things to ebay prices is silly as i have seen things go on ebay more than you can by the same item brand new in a shop the same day ....

You could have had all the wealth of advice from the forum without being a member , are you sugesting that non members shouldn't have questions answered .

the first advice often is go along to a club meet and see what cars are there , be taken out in a few and chat with owners , surely that can be done as a non club member ...

I know it can , however  there is also nothing wrong with having membership also ,and therefore getting the club magazine .

its a long and winding discussion , but however I still firmly believe non members should be able to contact sellers .

not once have i seen  a car advertised on here with a discount to members  thats advertised at a higher price elsewhere , if you want to sell a car you want to sell a car ...

this isn't club bashing , its just straightening what i think (and its just my opinion till someone agrees)

you can also be a non member and contribute  and help others from your wealth of experience.

not once have i seen  a car advertised on here with a discount to members  thats advertised at a higher price elsewhere , if you want to sell a car you want to sell a car ...

You may be right about cars, but I have offered parts for sale at a discount to club members, and have said so in the ads for all to see.

Sorry all, didn't mean to open an old wound!  Just find it strange that I can post elsewhere in the forums etc, and generally most members will already have a car (and by virtue not be in the market for another), so just feels like I should either be able to make enquiries about a car I am interested in, or not be able to do anything here without a full membership?

You are right about the multiple cars, I have owned a Westfield in the past, and am pretty serious about returning - and if / when I buy another I will doubtless join the club then!

To be honest often I just want to know where abouts cars are located, if something is local to me or near one of my work locations, then there may be cars I will go and view.

Rgds

Graeme

The wound has healed, but it an interesting scab to pick at every so often, mostly 'cos it gets the non members in a bit of a lather!

I thought registered users were able to PM and/or email sellers by selecting the "Contact" option at the foot of every post. Has that changed?

Then I get to wondering about the what if's, so lets re-examine the subject :0

**NOTE**

This is not intended to start an argument, nor are my comments aimed at any individual. It's just a discussion, where adults exchange interesting, well reasoned points of view for the amusement and entertainment of others, OK?

Non members should note that there are a number of forum areas that have been deliberately hidden from view specifically so non members are unable to view them, let alone particiapte in them. As such, non members (for it is they who usually complain the longest and loudest) never complain about access to those areas. What they can't see, they don't miss. This raises an interesting question. What if the For Sale sections were similarly hidden from view to non members? I'm ignoring the decreaed marketing potential for the moment 'cos I do understand the argument there,  but hiding those areas kinda removes any doubt about what some of the potential benefits of membership are (vis a vis use of, rather than advertising to a reduced market), and the intent of the rules IF the situation with regards to contacting users via the Contact button has in fact changed.. If registered non member users are still able to PM / email via the "Contact" button, then I don't see the problem. Contact can be made if required / necessary.

As far as my own personal opinion on the whole member / non member thing goes (stand back... nomex suit on :devil:), whilst non members can of course comment publically about lack of access to this and that, I kinda think, so what? I'm NOT a member of lots of clubs, like my local golf club, my local tennis club or my local bowls club. I might want to comment on their rules too, and I have the right to freedom of speech, so I have the opportunity if that is something I want to do. So I may complain that I don't have access to the bowls club park and this is inconvenient when I need somewhere to park. But does anyone listen? No, of course not. Why should they? Similarly, just 'cos this is "the internet", the WSCC still a MEMBERS club, run for the benefit of it's MEMBERS, rather than for the benefit of every internet surfer who may happen along and decide to sign up. I've seen *lots* of discussion both here and elsewhere about non member rights to this or that. But it's right there. NON members. If you want more rights, join up, join in and make a representation to the rule makers. Or, do the WSCC collective think it's OK for non members to have equal rights to paid up members? And before you knee jerk into saying yes, remember it's not as simple as you may think. There's a lot more to the Club than simply an internet market place that may or may not service the needs of non members ;)

Well put Blatman and I agree with your comments.  I believe however during your time away from these pages that non-members had their ability to send PM's taken away, hence why this query keeps cropping up.  

IMO I think it's right that members should have greater privalages than non-members but not to necessarily hide all these areas from all to view, otherwise the non-members wouldn't know what they're missing out on :D.  I wouldn't like to see us go the same way as Blatchat for example where non-members can't join the forum without being a paid up member as I feel that would be detremental to our club and our ability talk to and attract pottential new owners to Westfield ownership.

Many sellers of cars additionally post a link to Pistonheads or Autotrader adverts both of which have the facility to contact the person by email or telephone and therefore get around the PM issues here.  Whenever I sell items on here I make sure to include an email address for those that can't PM and as a result I have been able to sell parts to members and non-members.