R888 vs T1-R

brindle

Hi,

need to get 4 new tyres, can get R888 fitted locally for £315 a set, or can buy T1-R off eBay for £120 a set and around £60 fitted, £180 all in.

Are the R888 worth nearly twice the price?? :suspect:

Cheers :t-up:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• brindle

• Terry Everall

• B5234FT

• Bean

night and day , totally different tyre , whether your use puts the value at double will really depend on you .

Hi

Are we talking just sheer grip here - from cold, hot, do they cope with higher temps than T1-R's etc?  I do a couple of trackdays a year also and have found the bridgestones the car came with and the T1-S' currently on the car (though old) like driving on a tub of Vaseline once they get hot.

The only real concern I have on R888 is the life.  there has been many threads exploring this but never a definitive answer.  I do around 3000 miles a year and could do without replacing them every 12 months!!!

Cheers. :t-up:  :t-up:

I have just fitted x 4 TR1S and what a fantastic all round {excuse the pun}  tyre.

Never tried 888's but I they aer more suited to hardend road drivers / track days.

General everyday road use I would deffo buy TR1's  again

888s will offer a load more grip than t1rs thats what they were designed to do, obviously they will wear quicker but on the road they will go further than you would imagine  :t-up:  t1r will be better in the wet though  :0  :0

A Kumho v70 will be a better allrounder and that is what I will be replacing my  cr500s with once I find a money tree  :down:

888s will offer a load more grip than t1rs thats what they were designed to do, obviously they will wear quicker but on the road they will go further than you would imagine  :t-up:  t1r will be better in the wet though  :0  :0

A Kumho v70 will be a better allrounder and that is what I will be replacing my  cr500s with once I find a money tree  :down:

I had kumhos V70s on one of my tin tops. New car came with them on. I would never have bought them myself as I had not heard of them before. I was pleasantly surprised at how well they handled especially in the wet. They threw water out the back like a fire hydrant!

:p I run 888's and would not use anything else! Grip is phenominal!  Bear in mind though that I do not drive in the wet and cover more miles on the track than I do on the road.  Sorry ! not much help i don't suppose.

:p I run 888's and would not use anything else! Grip is phenominal!  Bear in mind though that I do not drive in the wet and cover more miles on the track than I do on the road.  Sorry ! not much help i don't suppose.

bonus the kumhos are better on track  ;)

The only real concern I have on R888 is the life.  

Ive managed about 6 k on my current R888's and still plenty of life in them.  :t-up:

But Elvington next week may finish them off!  :D

Jack

Howard posting on Emma's log-in...

I ran T1Rs for a few years - road use, sprinting and track days.  Switched last year to 888s. Went for medium compound because I was planning to do more track days than sprinting. In the end I did neither  :down:

The T1Rs were reasonable for road use, and last well.

Like you, I found they would overheat and get slippy on track days.

By comparison, the 888s do offer a lot more grip - more than you should be calling upon on the road.  I've not found them to be any worse in the wet than T1Rs - and that includes sprinting as well as road use - so exploring the limits. I was pleasantly surprised by how well they performed in the wet - so don't be put off.

The 888 mediums also stand up to track days better.

Certainly, there are tyres that are grippier still, for sprinting but that's not what you're after.

I'll be changing tyres for sprinting next year but will be keeping my medium 888s for road use and track days.

I don't think I'll be going back to T1Rs.

My recommendation would be to try the 888s. I reckon you'd get 3-4000 miles out of them - maybe more.

If you don't try them you'll never know and you'll always be wondering.

The only real concern I have on R888 is the life.  

Ive managed about 6 k on my current R888's and still plenty of life in them.  :t-up:

But Elvington next week may finish them off!  :D

Jack

Christ I've only just managed to get 6k out of my T1r's. All road use.

I also fancy a change as they don't offer enough grip.

A021r's for the road and some track work, excellent tyre in my opinion. Bought from the great man himself 'Harv'  :t-up:

Had them a couple of years, they've not got much life left in them but what's the point in putting half decent road tyres on a Westie? ???  ;)

Brindle, buy a set of cheap set of slicks for the track day hooning if you're worried about the 888's lasting :cool: Although, car preparation and slicks is a whole different subject, mine is a work in progress :)

I had 195/55-14 Toyo T1-S and then moved to 205/60-13 R888.  In my very first drive on the new tyres, I was shocked to discover that even when cold (car had been driven less than one mile on a 48F/9C day) they had more grip in a straight line than the T1-S.  My old AO32Rs were the opposite.  Really slick in cool weather compared to a regular road tyre.

-John

Christ I've only just managed to get 6k out of my T1r's. All road use.

I also fancy a change as they don't offer enough grip.

I must try harder then!  :D

Have to say it has suprised me how well they have lasted!

Had t1s's on before and there is big difference in grip!  :t-up:

Jack

Gooning aside, R888's will last *almost* as well as T1S/R's on trackdays etc, mainly because you won't be sliding around so much on the 888's in the first place ;)