Cleggy's Spyder Rebuild 17 07 09

Cleggy the Spyder Man

What did you bend the aluminium round to make the fuel pump bracket?

put the curved bend in first using an offcut from the roll bar hoop - and then clamped two pieces of flat bar together (4mm thick) and then mounted the whole lot in the vice to hold it whilst I bent the sharp bends - does that make sense ? :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

again very little progress whilst the shed was being built - shed/garage just about finished with a massive thanks to Tony

top job m8 I am well chuffed with it  :t-up: let me know how things are at home when you can

been busy filling it with crap today so I can make a start re-organising the garage

the plan is to get it back as a rolling chassis now so I can look at painting the garage and maybe fitting some extra lighting

shed getting filled with rubbish

SANY4796.jpg

chassis getting ready to get it rolling again

SANY4791.jpg

SANY4794.jpg

SANY4793.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

spent the last few nights looking at getting the body to sit on straight

first job was to get the axles back on, engine in and body work back in place (thanks Tony)

I then did a very basic geo set-up with a bit of string, levelled the tyre pressures and rolled the car onto the floor tiles which are near as dam it level

the plan so far is to get the rear of the front section bolted down - the side of the tub (where it sits onto my new floorpans) flops around at the moment so I made up these little brackets to stop the sides from splaying out - I shall fibreglass it all up and remove the brackets at a later date

SANY4910.jpg

I then used a straight edge and dropped this down from the top of the rear arch and used a spirit level to get  vertical - I then measured from the vertical straight edge to the end of the drive shaft until I had the same measurements both sides

SANY4909.jpg

I then measured from ground to top of the arch - at the moment there is about 5mm difference - TBH that would be a good result at the end of the day

trouble is the front is as we know a good inch out (1" higher on the nearside) - so I shall be chopping a slither out of the tub one side and letting it drop down until level - this is no doubt going to effect the back end - mmm this is gonna be fun  :bangshead:

SANY4907.jpg

on another note the westy has four new shoes and thank the lordy fits in its new home rather nicely  :t-up:

SANY4902.jpg

forgotten how easy it is to spin the wheels up in 1st,2nd and 3rd at this time of year on cold tyres  :devil:

on another note the westy has four new shoes and thank the lordy fits in its new home rather nicely  :t-up:

SANY4902.jpg

It was made to measure mate :laugh:

and your levels are way out :devil:  :laugh:

Hope so Jay -  :t-up:

found this whilst surfing - lovely car but b****y wierd video - anyone translate it? I await the comical responses  :laugh:

• 1 month later...

came across that chassis a few weeks back on the volkzone site

looks a good option if I was starting from scratch - I think the chassis would be 19" too long though

Cheers  :t-up:

Blimey mate when i saw the thread come up i thought you had done some work on it :down:  :laugh:

That lift is still available :t-up:

Blimey mate when i saw the thread come up i thought you had done some work on it :down:  :laugh:

That lift is still available :t-up:

Hi fella -

I got my brother to help with a lift when he was over last weekend

Will try to give you a tinkle over the weekend for a catch up

Popped around Dave's tonight so have seen your motor in bits - no doubt you will talk with Dave to get the low down

Oh and heater now purchased for the garage so there really is no excuses now  :laugh:

Catch up soon m8 and hope all is well with Elaine