• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Cleggy's Spyder Rebuild 17 07 09

Cleggy the Spyder Man

had today off to get back back on track with the project - so managed a good handful of hours with angle grinder and welder to hand

It was not a good day to be a neighbour of Cleggy  :devil:

Got a good chunk of the front framework fab'd up

SANY4423.jpg

Used the original sheet for the rear section which tucks under the new thicker front sheet (1.5mm) - I have made it all up so that I do not rivet into any box section

SANY4422.jpg

SANY4424.jpg

SANY4422.jpg

hoping to get most of the day off tomorrow as well - providing there are no issues  :suspect:

will start on the rear section as I have a few plans fully mulled over

not sure if the ali sheet will be strong enough without a brace (flat bar going diagonal) - would be nice to use a bead roller but I don't have access to one

what you reckon?

Hi Cleggy

Personally, I don't think 1.5mm will be strong enough for long life without deformation, and feel that a bit of bracing wouldn't go amiss.  However, I am betting someone will disagree with me and there will be a reply to this affect within 32 minutes, 47 seconds.  :laugh:

Seriously, I think you're doing a great job, far better than I could do.  Can't wait to see it at Stoneleigh as some point - this bl**dy thing has to go on the WSCC stand next year just for the epic tale.

Surely is an epic  :laugh:

Dom -  I think I have misled you my post does not read that clearly - I meant the foot well area for extra bracing not the lowered floor section (front alloy sheet is 1.5mm)

The rear part is the .9mm sheet and definitely needs bracing and I have already started putting diagonal flat bars into the lowered part - will be an update tonight

cheers  :t-up:

cool, it looks better this way and a tad lighter but again like captain said your doing a cracking job on this. i guess when your doing it on the fly changes like this are inevitable

i only posted as im not overly impressed with my lowered floor in the westy i like the idea to get the room but you see it sticking out under the body and the ali has always seemed flimsy where it drops down and i would worry that if i cluncked it it would just rip away. i think the braces that hold the seats go on could do with being a little thicker as they have deffo bent a little with the weight of me and the seat.

U usual choice the red, but does look good in it. is it supposed to have a heated towel rail built in behind the seats?  :D  :p

Couldn't help noticing

...only weighs 500 kg
 :p  :D  :D  :D

Taxiiiii

500 kg - that's nothing, mine will weigh a lot more than that  :laugh:

the towel rail does not have any bracing by the look of it and I think all my electrics will be at the back - other than that I think it looks good

certainly sits well so they obviously overcome the wonky tub syndrome

I have seen pictures of some in other colours - nothing beats the silver although I did see a white one with a stripe that looked very cool

I did see a white one with a stripe that looked very cool

Mmmmmm Martini colours  :D  :t-up:

well then red spyder on ebay got to 18 bids at £6600 but did not sell as it did not meet the reserve  :oops:

------

been really swearing at my little 130amp SIP welder over the last few weeks - really have not been getting on very well - did all the usual checks and adjustments on the welder and ended up doubting my little bit of ability and the welder I was using

anyway finally thought about changing the tip for a new one and could not believe the difference - the old one was pretty manky but the wire seemed to feed through smooth enough so I was surprised it made such a difference

anyway I now will have to get the grinder out and re-visit some of my poorer attempts - all the weld will be covered with seem sealer so I am not too fussed as long as it is good n strong

------------

pretty much all welded up now at the front foot well section

SANY4506.jpg

what do you guys think about the strength under the seat area - should I add more bracing - I don't wanna be doing a flinstones

SANY4511.jpg

SANY4510.jpg

SANY4509.jpg

SANY4508.jpg

your thoughts

Consider the wessy floor is ally with two very light lateral braces where the seat runners bolt to,  I recon its adaquate (  over engineered  ;) )   :t-up:

Unless your 7ft tall and weigh more than 350 Kg leave it alone   :D

you mean you have seen a picture of me

you mean you have seen a picture of me

Thought I spotted you once .............

climing the post office tower   :p

seriously , it looks great  , now stop mucking around , get the thing  back together and get it road tested   :t-up: