Cleggy's Spyder Rebuild 17 07 09

Cleggy the Spyder Man

good idea ,why not make your own GRP flat sheet ?

all it needs is a sheet of harboard or similar , wax the surface with mold release wax , laminate with cloth and resin glass to the required thickness and viola!

you have a sheet of grp ready to be cut to size  :t-up:

good idea ,why not make your own GRP flat sheet ?

all it needs is a sheet of harboard or similar , wax the surface with mold release wax , laminate with cloth and resin glass to the required thickness and viola!

you have a sheet of grp ready to be cut to size  :t-up:

blimey that sounds a bit adventurous for me  :laugh:

might give that a go though If I cannot pick up some ready made easily

Cheers fella  :t-up:

It may be a bit weak when you come to cut new holes in the dash if you cut part way though an old one. May be better to cut a dash shape out from fresh grp and bond in place in front of the existing holes and blend to suit edges....

It may be a bit weak when you come to cut new holes in the dash if you cut part way though an old one. May be better to cut a dash shape out from fresh grp and bond in place in front of the existing holes and blend to suit edges....

developing your idea m8 and maybe I should bond a sheet ebhind and then do as I said - that way I aint got so much blending in to do but have the strength needed

cheers fella  :t-up:

tonight sees me tackle the almighty bodge that was the steering column - I managed to pick up a used column - I dont have the tools that is needed to do this properly, but I do have a chop saw and a good selection of files  :devil:

this picture shows the bodge that was on the vehicle when I got it - reminds me just why I didnt try to drive it back from London  :0

SANY1219.jpg

SANY2579.jpg

I now need to find some sleeve - I take it that most people sleeve the outside of the existing? rather than a metal rod inside?

anyway with a bit of lost blood this is the effort so far - the outer sleeve now cut to tidy it up - the column cut and the new part ready for sleeving onto the main part

SANY2583.jpg

well everything is still old and rusty looking - good aint it  :laugh:

good progress made just recently with jobs that would have meant me going to an engineers to get sorted -

thanks to a very good chap (Dave) who stepped in and offered to help me out with the column, after just a week or so ago also wipping me up some threaded seat belt lugs

so a big thanks chap  :t-up: I am in aww of the lathe and the tig - fantastic bits of kit (would love to get a lathe at some point if funds allow) - beer money and your tap on its way to you

after deliberating and cogitating for half an hour over a coffee it was decided that a metal rod would be used to join the two parts of the column together - the piece of metal was oversized so meant me getting my mits on the lathe after a short master class by my assistant  ;)  :laugh:

after a good number of runs it was down to correct size and ready for fitting - whilst I was doing this Dave was busy drilling holes through the sleeves - the idea was to leave a 5mm gap or so and then fill the gap with the super powerful tig welder, unfortunately there was not a spare welding mask so I could not see the welding in progress (was very happy to leave this critical safety part of the build to an experianced chap TBH, and it would have been my forst go with TIG) - the four holes would then be filled with weld adding even further strength - all in all a b****y fine job

just got a bit of tidying up to do with the pitted column before I can call it job done

SANY2630.jpg

so now with the column extended closer to the driver it was time to do a Cleggy fit test to see if I was getting closer to an acceptable driving position - I also temporarliy re-fitted the perspex wind deflector and the drivers side door to see how getting in and out would be

more by luck than judgement everything seems to be about right and the only real challenger as far as driving position goes is the pedal arrangement - I have an idea to use the original pivots but to cut the pedals off and re-weld something more akin to something you might see in a westfield or other race type car - this will allow me to get the pedals somewhere about right for my size 12's

bits temp re-fitted for a 5 minute sit down

SANY2627.jpg

the other job that Dave helped me out with was the seat belt lugs or whatever you call em  :durr:

basically bits of threaded bar that have seen a tidy up on the lathe - cut to size and drilled and threaded - this post is beginning to sound like a homage to Dave  :laugh:

here are the results shown with my ebay purchase of the threaded eye bolts

SANY2632.jpg

on a side note we also noticed when removing the steering wheel that the small bolts were loose and could almost be turned by fingers and that (you guessed it) the large nut that holds the boss on the column was also very loose - the nut had one of those curved type washers that goes flat under tightening, dunno what they are called - anyway you could see that the washer was still at full curve under the nut  :bangshead: - the spline on these beetles are not tapered and slides easily along so dont like to think of the consequences

once again I am glad I did not try to drive the thing back from London - I honestly reckon with all the things that were wrong with it something very serious could have happened

Well what an enjoyable read. I've been meaning to follow this from the start but like anything in life things sometimes escapes you! I've got to say what a great looking car and the back end is really  :cool: for sure. I did wince when I saw the beetle floor pan it just brought back memories of my youth and the heartache of trying to keep my 1302s on the road! keep up the good work cleggy!

Buzz

Well what an enjoyable read. I've been meaning to follow this from the start but like anything in life things sometimes escapes you! I've got to say what a great looking car and the back end is really  :cool: for sure. I did wince when I saw the beetle floor pan it just brought back memories of my youth and the heartache of trying to keep my 1302s on the road! keep up the good work cleggy!

Buzz

Thanks Buzz - surprising reading back how many people have come into contact with the beetle

It has rekindled some memories for some I am sure :blush:

Keep dipping in   :t-up: - sometimes it's even worth a read  :laugh:

The picture of the car with the body panels temporarily in place looks brilliant. Keep it up Cleggy.

nice to see it all happening mate.

got to agree someone we know is a diamond

must admit the more i hear and see the state it was in im glad we didnt drive it back

hope to start on mine soon, so i hope to ring that bloke we know soon ;)

if you need a hand you know where i am.

tony

Stephen - cheers m8 - am so looking forwards to driving her for the first time - it is a her sint it? to slow for a boys name  ;)

Tony - thanks m8 - pop over any time chap, even if we dont get owt done it would be good to catch up and have a cuppa - I did say to Dave that when he pops over to help you with your timing to give me a shout and we would come over together - would be good to see how to time the camshaft up, it has been 20 years since I last did it  :oops:

Spence - I find keeping this thread updated theraputic TBH - it is good for dipping back into (only today I read from start to finish) and encourages me to keep going at it and reminds of just how much has been achieved so far - and it is always good to see the comments coming in and to hear that people are interested - it might not be able to help people much as I am a bit of a novice but at least I am having a go  :laugh:

got a multi pack of 3mm flat off ebay for £31 - ideal for making up brackets n s**t  :oops:

from 50mm to 10mm - bit of a useful bargain I thought

SANY2635.jpg

if anyone wants the ebay link let me know

edit to say - all 1m lengths

1st of December and Santa’s been dropping parcels of at my house  :xmas: thanks Clark!  :t-up:   

You were suppose to keep the tap to run through the bosses after welding them in  :bangshead: don't you listen to anything your told  :laugh:

Tony good to hear your making a start on it soon, take it your bathrooms nearing completion then?

just give us a ring when your ready and me and Clark will pop over.

np Dave - I have a set of taps so you can have your little fella back :p