2000 duratec sport?

logie

I have been looking to bulid a new car for a while now. I was looking at the 200bhp module kit but with a few options it comes out around 28k!!!

If i was to start with the starter kit what budget would i need to finish to the same spec.

cheers

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• logie

• peterg

• stephenh

• Cleggy the Spyder Man

That sounds like an aweful pot of extras/options! Unless the prices have risen substantially in the last year or more. I had a brand new factory built 2.0 aerosport completed and delivered at the begining of March of last year, and although I thought it was a lot of money to be paying for what is still at the end of the day a kit car, it wasn't anything like that much.

The engine and gearbox is a major item of course, because it is all new. I dont know how much you would have to pay for a second-hand engine, as it isn't all that old a design. Also it is going to be less readily available second hand than, say, a Zetec, or of course a vauxhall 2.0 ltr., because they are older, so there are more of them coming out of crash damaged cars.

At the end of the day, you pays your money and you takes your choice!

your right it sounds alot to me thats why im asking the question. the duratec is  available through breakers best quote £800 for basic engine. If im reading it right then a basic 135bhp factory car is 19k then you can add 4.5k for the duratec. The extras are not long adding up!

I paid 12k for my less than a year old 2000 sport (only 800 miles) - so have a good look around before you splash out that sort of dosh

why not list the options 'you think you want' and we'll tell you if they're worth having  ;)

and we'll also tell you what you should get  :cool:  :D

basic car  19k

duratec   4500

lsd    800

fw front 295

wide track  495

rear ARB   235  

nylon bushes 99

comp shocks 695

4 pots 550

race wheels 250

4 piont harness 180

heater 250

contoured dash 395

spare wheel carrier 100

carbon kit 280

front arb 235

£28359!!!!

I paid 12k for my less than a year old 2000 sport (only 800 miles) - so have a good look around before you splash out that sort of dosh

Thats what iv been lookin for but no joy, they seem to be few and far between

That's factory built, put it together yourself and save £2500, leave out the spare wheel and carrier and carry a foam repair kit and get a decent breakdown/recovery package (Britannia Rescue are good but RAC or AA etc will do)

Heater  ???  :p  :laugh:

oh, and for gawd's sake junk the standard rollbar and get a proper one that will actually give some protection (like the one originalgeezer is doing in his bulk buy...)  ;)

Just IMO, but seems a confused spec, got race wheels and suspension, then a heater and spare wheel carrier?

what use do you have in mind for it?

no its not a confused spec thats what a sport is all about for road and track. Im going to be using it for good weekends and then going to the track when trackdays are on. i take it the heaters are pure poo then?

i take it the heaters are pure poo then

no, they work fine, just seem like a lot of weight to carry around (like the spare wheel as well) for a lightweight sports car... oh and 'cos some of us take the p*ss out of people who have them  :laugh:  ;)

Hi,

I've just completed a similar build to the one you have specked.

2.0L Duratech, Jenvy Throttle Bodies, OMEX 600 ECU, Raceline Sump, Raceline Waterail, Racline Lighweight Flywheel, BGH Type 9 Heavy Duty Sporting Close, Freelander/Quiff 4.1 Diff, OZ Supperlegerras, lighweight 4 pot fronts, Lightweight rears, AVO Alloy Suspension from Cat Motorsport, Contoured Dash, Windscreen, heater, Spare Wheel & Carrier, Chrome Kit, Low Pressure Fuel Pump, Swirl Pot, High Pressure Fuel Pump, Oil Catch Tank and I'm sure there is a few bits i've forgotten.

I didn't get all the parts from Westfield. Had to do a far bit of shopping around the various suppliers.  I have been buying bits at the end of each month with the left over cash for the last 5 years but she is finally finished.

The total cost (excluding blood sweat and tears) was just over £23K.

So prices will have gone up on most parts in the last 5 years so your 28K figure from Westfield seems about right.

Where abouts are you located ?  It would be worth you going along to a local club meet and having a chat with them to get some of there experiences.

Regards,

Steve

I dont think I would bother with the competition shock absorbers. They're a bit lighter than the standard ones, but apart from that I hear tell they're no better in quality.

My gearbox acts as quite a good heater for my left leg!

The prices have gone up a lot, if the basic car is now £19,000.

I think you have to sit down and decide which components your prepared to buy second hand, and refurbish yourself, and how much that is likely to cost, and then price up the modules you would need new from the factory. 2nd hand engine, clutch, gearbox, diff for example? The diff used in the 2000 sport is the same one as was used in several Fords, including the late type Granadas so capable of handling loads of torque. Try and make sure you get one with the 3.92 ratio, not the 3.62. The latter is too high geared for choice. You might want to get a new AP comp clutch anyway, I find I give mine a bit of "stick". The gearbx is readily available 2nd hand. Regarding the engine, allow for the cost of a decent tubular stainless manifold and silencer which can be expensive, although I happen to know a standard factory one is on the "parts for Sale section at the moment!  ;)  :devil: . Also you will need inlet manifold, throttle bodies and ecu, which are expensive!

Like others have said, simply assembling it yourself will save £2,500 alone. I din't because (a) time was against me (I'm quite old, you see!) and (b) at the time, I could afford it, but guessed I wouldn't be able to in a year or two's time. How right I turned out to be!!

Whatever you do, think carefully, and do your sums, before jumping in either direction.

or you could buy a a second hand one like mine that is faairly standard and enjoy speccing it up to your standard  :D