5th gear

loe

back in the uk my neighbour has a csr200 - and that struggled to idle on its own when cold too.

single throttle body on that and a plenum to sooth out the inlet, but still needed catching a few times :-)

so do those with 5speeds use them all on track or not?

as an overdrive is it just for cruising or can it be useful when used in anger?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• loe

• stephenh

• combatsapph

• perksy

Loe, you have my email. Let me know if I can be of any further help. I'm not sure what gearing I've got, but will probably have to lower it. I'm waiting to see what my rev limit is going to be, when my engine upgrades are completed shortly.

Harv, what engine/ power output was that with? 148 mph is a heck of a top speed for a Westie, unless you've got a power output much higher than the standard ones, surely? Simon Westwood, the factory sales manager told me that the top speed of mine, which has the same engine as Loes but with an aeroscreen, would be about 140 mph, but I've never been anywhere near that, and I would think it would need a very long straight to approach that speed. Probably bigger gonads as well! :laugh:  :laugh:

thats a zetec putting out just north of 225bhp weighing 540 kg's small aeroscreen  etc ....

half doors on an aero car make a big difference , and the complaint about GT3's i sat tucked right up the chuff of a FIA GT GT3 which was tyre testing at spa ( a car i susequently spent 40 minutes in around spa , and for 5 laps he couldn't shake me , he would edge out at the end of kemmel and be much better on the brakes , and also left me through blanchemont , so impressed that the Hanhook tyres team asked me to take some of there guests on some passanger laps in exchange for my session passangering in the porker ......

westfields can be very quick .

so, if my upgrades increase my engine power to, say, 240 bhp, ;)  ;)  ;) my aerosport should be pretty darn quick!!  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

Just a Thought    :oops:

What size Air intakes (Ram pipes) are you Durabang Lads using    ???

Just reading an old article by Dave Walker (Emerald & Tuning Guru) and He made big gains on His rollers on a Duratech with some Longer trumpets...

Well i didn't say Spa was a poor circuit, just not a very westfield friendly one. I would much prefer to drive spa in ooh say a GT3 for example

Persky, I'm having short ones, apparently also KMS-provided...  anyway they stay inside the bonnet, so I assume they are short ones...

Been looking at an E7 from BGH... look's good, do I need to change the diif with that box?

Reference Perksy's question about the length of the inlet trumpets, I haven't measured them, but as loe says they are quite short. If you remember, my car has no holes in the bonnet (yet!!). However, I believe the short trumpets aren't a particular problem. The foam airfilter may be however, at least if you are tuning/modifying for more power. Troy is going to fit a much larger one on mine, so that will mean a hole in that side of the bonnet. I'm off to Matt Simpson tomorrow. That'll mean another hole, in the other side opf the bonnet!!

Think Dave Walker mentioned that they were on the short side and He also said that the Standard Cam's were abit "soft"

He put some uprated Kent Cams in and Fitted 90mm Ram pipes and it made 208 bhp and 161lbs of Torque

Interesting that with the Longer intakes it made more Power but less Torque  (173 lbs Torque on the shorter ones)