5th gear

loe

Whatever your problem is - if you have purchased a new vehicle from any dealer then take it back to them especially while your car is under warranty - very difficult but don't be tempted to undertake work yourself or allow any other garage to do any work  ;)  ;)  ;)  :)  :)  :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• loe

• stephenh

• combatsapph

• perksy

:)

I agree... but apparently they are really busy at the moment...

one other thing I can think of, I specified a 6 inch exhaust (quieter due to Noise restrictions on our tracks here...), maybe this is the cullprit?

Hi Loe, I've only just seen your post. I have a 2008 spec Westie with 2.0 ltr. duratec, as Perksy said. Various points:

1. Is your engine fully run in? Mine was very tight until I took it to a track for a private trackday. That will have an obvious effect on power, particularly at high engine speeds.

2. Who told you the engine was 200 bhp? If it was the importer you might want to go back and complain!!

3. In my experience, in "standard" Westfield specification, it will be a good engine if it produces over 185 bhp at the flywheel. I assume you have the standard road use silencer, with a catalytic converter, and the heat shield? My engine at about 1500 miles on the speedometer produced 187 bhp without altering the mapping, and the mapping wasn't far out. However that was with Westfield's trackday silencer on, which doesn't have a catalytic converter, so is several bhp more efficient. even so, with a bit of tweeking of the mapping it is doubtful if we could have got above 190 bhp.

4. I'm surprised that you are reaching the rev limit at 180 kph. in 4th. gear. I'm fairly sure mine was reaching 120 mph at the rev limit in fourth, which would be over 190 kph. My ecu was set so as to cut te engine out at 7,050 rpm, which was a bit low for that engine, but thats the way it was. Is yours the same?

5. My rev counter tended to under-read when accelerating hard, almost as if the rev counter ws not keeping up with the engine, so when it was on a rolling road test bed I found it was going faster than I thought. Same with the speedometer. That makes me wonder if when you say your speed in 5th. gear drops to 160 kph how do you know that, is it just what your reading on the speedo? Maybe the speedometer is slow.

6. My car has an aeroscreen, even so it is like hitting a brick wall at high speed. Seven type cars have very poor aerodynamics! If your gearing is the same as mine, I'd be surprised if you used 5th. gear much if at all on track.

I hope these thought help point you in the right direction.

stephen,

1) Engine had 450kms, now it has 1100kms. Does this register as "run in" or not?

2) Sorry meant 190, as such is claimend on the importers site.

3) Nope, I changed to silencer (at least, the importer changed it) to a less noisy one..., I believe a 6inch? without heatshield...

4) I got 170-180 near the rev limiter in 4th gear. did not run into the cut off...

Revs dropped in 5th to 4500-4700rpm (again as shown on the DASH2) which should be about right no?

5) All shift light were on on the DASH2 to, was not really paying attention to the revs themselfs... Regarding calibration, it appears to be fairly accurate speedwise at least, comparing by other road users and the national speed limits :)

6) mine has for now the normal windscreen, indeed I notice that if you release the acceleratorpedal, you instantly hit a wall... well this can only help us to brake even later :)

I know seven have bad aero's... but 200-220 should be feasable no?

(previous car was a GT3, so I was really upset by the low topspeed) :)

Kemmel straight is also a massive up hill drag, so perhaps not the best place to try and consider vmax. Personally it sounds like yours makes a more modest power output and you were seeing the combined effects of gravity and wind resistance on a westfield.

GT3's (no offence ment), but used to P**s me off no end up over the hill. I was maxed at 170kph, so used to knock off the revs a bit and just cruise up and the they would come flying past just mising me. No need to drive so close, but a waste of time explaining. So spa is not a really westfield friendly circuit, sorry.

GT3's (no offence ment), but used to P**s me off no end up over the hill. I was maxed at 170kph, so used to knock off the revs a bit and just cruise up and the they would come flying past just mising me. No need to drive so close, but a waste of time explaining. So spa is not a really westfield friendly circuit, sorry.

exactly my expirience  :cool:  (from westfield poitn of view I mean...)

So spa is not a really westfield friendly circuit, sorry.

i beg to differ , one of the best circuits i drove on many times in my westy .... and it would pull right the way up to 148mph , gear calculated  speed and pull all the way along kemel ...

if you don't you need more power , simple as that.

Harv, what engine/ power output was that with? 148 mph is a heck of a top speed for a Westie, unless you've got a power output much higher than the standard ones, surely? Simon Westwood, the factory sales manager told me that the top speed of mine, which has the same engine as Loes but with an aeroscreen, would be about 140 mph, but I've never been anywhere near that, and I would think it would need a very long straight to approach that speed. Probably bigger gonads as well! :laugh:  :laugh:

Loe I was going to send you a personal message, but I cannot. That is because you are not a member of the Club, at least you are on the boardroom as a boardroom user only. You might want to consider applying to become a member of the Westfield Sports Car Club?

Welcome Loe,

Being in Belgium, you could also be interested in a french speaking forum dedicated to Westfield. Send me an email to chris7273 (at) yahoo dot com

I have paid my membership but I have to wait a few days before full activation of my profile.

Regards

Harv, what engine/ power output was that with? 148 mph is a heck of a top speed for a Westie, unless you've got a power output much higher than the standard ones, surely? Simon Westwood, the factory sales manager told me that the top speed of mine, which has the same engine as Loes but with an aeroscreen, would be about 140 mph, but I've never been anywhere near that, and I would think it would need a very long straight to approach that speed. Probably bigger gonads as well! :laugh:  :laugh:

thats a zetec putting out just north of 225bhp weighing 540 kg's small aeroscreen  etc ....

half doors on an aero car make a big difference , and the complaint about GT3's i sat tucked right up the chuff of a FIA GT GT3 which was tyre testing at spa ( a car i susequently spent 40 minutes in around spa , and for 5 laps he couldn't shake me , he would edge out at the end of kemmel and be much better on the brakes , and also left me through blanchemont , so impressed that the Hanhook tyres team asked me to take some of there guests on some passanger laps in exchange for my session passangering in the porker ......

westfields can be very quick .

What ratio diff are you running?  When I had a 3.6 diff in mine and 185bhp is struggled to pull in 5th, changing to a 3.9 made a massive difference.

leon,  I have no clue, should be the standard westfield diff (guess 3.6)

harv, interesting comment... so it's possible to create a quick westfield.. that's a relief...

guess I'll be looking for a new gearbox/diff combo... :)

What ratio diff are you running?  When I had a 3.6 diff in mine and 185bhp is struggled to pull in 5th, changing to a 3.9 made a massive difference.

good point leon as a 3.6 diff takes alot of power to pull , in fact if i remeber with an 8k rev limit a 3.6 on my close ration box had a stupid theoretical top speed of about 175 .... that wouldn't happen .