Turbo powered Westfields....?

The Seer

I shouldn't think I'll be doing trackdays, and certainly no intention of building a car myself.

As for driving hard in the wet and trying to find the limits on public roads, forget it. Thanks for confirming my suspicions of how tail happy these lightweights can be.

Undecided about whether to go for turbo charged car. Sure it will be blistering speed on the straight, but getting on the power in the corners....hmmm. ???

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• westy turbo

• scooby

• The Seer

• Torqueman

I'm having a bit of a dilema too at present. I pulled the N/A engine out at the weekend with the intention of dropping in my silly powered turbo lump. The alternative option is to go for an intermediate setup by just turboing the standard engine to achieve somewhere in the region of 250 - 280Bhp, and then go the whole hog in the winter.

For me, the standard N/A engine setup was feeling horrendously slow, so maybe the extra 100 or so horses will be enough for the time being. Then again, the silly engine is sat there ready to go so maybe I should just stick to the original plan and drop it in.

in the dry with sticky tyres, completely different ball game ;)

Intending for dry usage only, though if used in the wet only at slow speeds.

I currently drive a Clio 182 Cup, which is used for social and commuting, done a few mods such filter, exhaust, cams etc.

When it came to tyres I spoke to several owners via Cliosport who advised me not to take the route of 888's or Avon's. Said that they require a fair amount of heat to reach the appropriate grip levels and that with normal road driving this heat level is very difficult to maintain. Below the required temperature, the tyre actually performs less than performance road tyre. Hence, a little apprehensive to fit 888's or Avon's to the Westfield since most miles will be covered on the public roads.

I currently drive a Clio 182 Cup, which is used for social and commuting, done a few mods such filter, exhaust, cams etc.

When it came to tyres I spoke to several owners via Cliosport who advised me not to take the route of 888's or Avon's. Said that they require a fair amount of heat to reach the appropriate grip levels and that with normal road driving this heat level is very difficult to maintain. Below the required temperature, the tyre actually performs less than performance road tyre. Hence, a little apprehensive to fit 888's or Avon's to the Westfield since most miles will be covered on the public roads.

Learn how the car reacts on all type of conditions and drive there after. I´m on Toyo 888 and they do a god job with my 330 bhp and 450 Nm from the Saab 2,3 turbo thats in my Westy, and its most road going. Learn to drive the thing and yuore ok ;)

Learn how the car reacts on all type of conditions and drive there after. I´m on Toyo 888 and they do a god job with my 330 bhp and 450 Nm from the Saab 2,3 turbo thats in my Westy, and its most road going. Learn to drive the thing and yuore ok ;)

I guess with 330 bhp those tyres are always warm. :oops:

I'm having a bit of a dilema too at present. I pulled the N/A engine out at the weekend with the intention of dropping in my silly powered turbo lump. The alternative option is to go for an intermediate setup by just turboing the standard engine to achieve somewhere in the region of 250 - 280Bhp, and then go the whole hog in the winter.

For me, the standard N/A engine setup was feeling horrendously slow, so maybe the extra 100 or so horses will be enough for the time being. Then again, the silly engine is sat there ready to go so maybe I should just stick to the original plan and drop it in.

Go for the turbo, after two Zetecs, one with 233 bhp natasp its no way I´m going back. It was quick thru the gears but fast, nah...  Dont go for to big turbo, I´m nearly there, yuo will sacrifice driviability :(  My old engine with 15T 5# housing was just blistering from 2000 rpm on the 2,3.  I had 350 Nm at the wheels at 2000 rpm :cool:  But then it killed the box :down:

The turbo I have will be the same whether I sick it on the N/A engine or the LET. The main difference is the N/A engine has a 10:1 compression ratio while the LET is around 8:1 making the N/A engine much more driveable off-boost.

Personally, I'm edging towards just sticking the LET in and be done with it, like you say, there's fast and then there's FAST. The turbo I'm using is a fairly modest unit this time (T38).

The turbo I have will be the same whether I sick it on the N/A engine or the LET. The main difference is the N/A engine has a 10:1 compression ratio while the LET is around 8:1 making the N/A engine much more driveable off-boost.

Personally, I'm edging towards just sticking the LET in and be done with it, like you say, there's fast and then there's FAST. The turbo I'm using is a fairly modest unit this time (T38).

With 10:1 compression ratio it will be perfect for Ethanol ;) I dont know how the Ethanol situation is in the Uk thought.

I´m doing this my self and cant wait to install the bits.

(new map, larger injectors)

You will get soo much more responsive engine :D

Sorry to thread-jack, but i am thinking about going turbo too. Any one had experience of a Busa turbo? its mainly a track toy but is used on the road in all weathers. i was thinking a boost controller would be a tyre (and life!) saver. turn it down in the wet and up in the dry :D

Come on Neil....T38 its gonna have huge loads of torque and BHP to ENJOY and be FAST as you said,depents by the day...dragster.....T38,trackday.....GT3071 64housing if not  GT2876,think the down pipe flange is the same and ghange them like pair of pants :D  :D  :D  :love:

My westy was running cica 400bhp and over 360ft/lb the other year with a sequential box

It weigh's just over 500kg

The 400bhp engine was silly fast  in a straight line and out dragged most bikes, inc a hyabusa and CBR900

round the bends you dare not boot the thing incase the rear end overtook you which it did on one occasion

I went in a friends duratec and hyabusa powered cars round cadwell and discovered to my surprise that mine would have struggled to keep up on and off the throttle esp roound the bends

Down the straigght I'd of killed em no problem

Built new 600bhp turbo motor but decided to go Nasp route instead now, going volvo 5 cylinder route with loads of revs, big power, 320bhp ish and as little torque as possible to make it more drivable

Should hopefuly be lighter too this time round as the block is all alloy

Been keeping up-to-date with your thread on PF Austen. It's a shame that engine will never see the Westy but it makes perfect sense and it's not as if the volvo is going to make a slower car. It's certainly food for thought.

I had a think about things last night and I've decided to drop the turbo lump in right away. It just seems pointless having it sat there doing nothing after all the time I took to build it. I noticed last night that my AVC-R solenoid has taken a bash and looks irrepairable so if anybody knows who can supply a replacement I'd really appreciate it!

You better through that beast in there as said it sucked alot so send her "home". I think some one was selling one...ill have to check on that