Turbo powered Westfields....?

The Seer

No it was no problem at all. had great charge temps.

It was much better for space and the pipe work was not a problem.

i will find some piccys of the install

that will be nice if you can....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• westy turbo

• scooby

• The Seer

• Torqueman

Thats a nice setup....i bet its flying....0-60 in 3 ?

LOL     I dont quote figures....

Its just quick :)

Thats all it maters ;)

L16COS is a complete nunney cat for the most part.  With proper mapping you get a lovely power delivery, plenty of grunt and nice smooth delivery.

Remember that with silly power levels everything happens very much quicker so it's not an ideal car to get started in.  I've done about 30k miles in L16COS and am only just beginning to give it beans through the corners.  On the flipiside the sheer effortless grunt flatters my driving ability and means that you can easily make up on the straights what you lose by not daring to give it 100% through the corners.

When the nights draw in and the roads start getting damp patches on the road you do end up tiptoeing around that isn't nearly as much fun.

L16COS is a complete nunney cat for the most part.  With proper mapping you get a lovely power delivery, plenty of grunt and nice smooth delivery.

Remember that with silly power levels everything happens very much quicker so it's not an ideal car to get started in.  I've done about 30k miles in L16COS and am only just beginning to give it beans through the corners.  On the flipiside the sheer effortless grunt flatters my driving ability and means that you can easily make up on the straights what you lose by not daring to give it 100% through the corners.

When the nights draw in and the roads start getting damp patches on the road you do end up tiptoeing around that isn't nearly as much fun.

True-true...moderation is the key for everything....

Just wondered what people thought of turbo charged Westfields?

Are these alot more challenging to drive than N/A cars? I'm thinking the turbo torque will unsettle the rear much more than N/A's with less lbs/ft.

Can anyone compare? Anybody owned or driven both highly tuned N/A and turbo car?

I'm tempted since the turbo car is much cheaper to tune, but worried it'll become a straight line merchant.

Have you driven a N/A Westfield yet?

Agree with the above turbo "gurus" If you mach turbo (size) with the engine and a god map, and not to forget a proper ratio in gearbox and diff, then no problems.

In my experience the big difference is in the higher speeds, who says that the Westfield has aerodynamics as a brick :p

Are these alot more challenging to drive than N/A cars? I'm thinking the turbo torque will unsettle the rear much more than N/A's with less lbs/ft.

Can anyone compare? Anybody owned or driven both highly tuned N/A and turbo car?

I'm tempted since the turbo car is much cheaper to tune, but worried it'll become a straight line merchant.

I haven't but science would say turbo cars would be hairy than N/A's.

I had a nasty experience in an Impreza STi Type-R I once owned. Torque split 65/35 rear biased. Minimal understeer but the oversteer annoyed me. It detracted from the driving experience. You could'nt get on the power as early as I would've liked to. Just don't want to repeat this situation and have it amplified in a car half the weight with similiar power as the Impreza.

I guess with a decent map though, nasty breakaway from turbo torque can be minimised in a Westfield, but just how much?

as said size the turbo correctly,and the lowest boost presure in low gears...lag is bad enemy cause when it comes..its instant....

I have driven a NA and Turbo westy. Very different beasts.

The NA was our first westy and had a Twincam on carbs. Went pretty swiftly and sounded great.

The turbod one has a cossie lump in supposedly with more than 300hp but after reading cngs well documented developement of a similiar car its probably nowhere near to that.

It really is two cars in one. If you keep off the turbo its very tractable and easy to drive. When the turbo comes on its a fistful of torque for something so light and is honestly too quick for roads that can be described as interesting. You will probably adopt the point and squirt driving style as I have unless your surnames raikonnen  :cool:

Minimal understeer but the oversteer annoyed me. It detracted from the driving experience. You could'nt get on the power as early as I would've liked to. Just don't want to repeat this situation and have it amplified in a car half the weight with similiar power as the Impreza.

I'm afraid if your goal is traction then a rear drive car won't have as much as a 4wd car. Get a Skyline.

You can  force push a brick :laugh:

Exactly, the torque will do the job :p  :D

Yes thats true - evan past 150 mph with a screen...... :):devil:

Minimal understeer but the oversteer annoyed me. It detracted from the driving experience. You could'nt get on the power as early as I would've liked to. Just don't want to repeat this situation and have it amplified in a car half the weight with similiar power as the Impreza.

I'm afraid if your goal is traction then a rear drive car won't have as much as a 4wd car. Get a Skyline.

A Lancer over the Skyline, certainly lighter and with better balance.

Light weight kit cars appeal for their power to weight and for sheer driving pleasure, and in the right conditions certainly as much grip as a 4WD if driven correctly.

I haven't but science would say turbo cars would be hairy than N/A's.

I had a nasty experience in an Impreza STi Type-R I once owned. Torque split 65/35 rear biased. Minimal understeer but the oversteer annoyed me. It detracted from the driving experience. You could'nt get on the power as early as I would've liked to. Just don't want to repeat this situation and have it amplified in a car half the weight with similiar power as the Impreza.

I guess with a decent map though, nasty breakaway from turbo torque can be minimised in a Westfield, but just how much?

I only ask because on a (very wet) trackday a couple of chaps turned up with their newly aquired pinto powered 7esqe toy.  They'd both done quite a few trackdays in subarus & thought their new toy was going to be a breeze.

One of them span it on a sighting lap, came in swapped drivers, span... this went on for a while & chatting to them they couldn't seem to grasp that in the scooby they apexed it, buried the throttle & let the 'puters sort it out.  After 5 spins vs 3 spins they finally got that a lightweight rear wheel drive with comparatively little power was quite a handful in the wet.

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't build/buy a turbo'd car, or that you are in anyway similar to the fellas described (& don't get me wrong, they certainly seemed to be having fun 'learning' their new toy) just that turbos & huge power aren't a necessity & take a lot of development to make them work.

Sorry if the above is egg sucking stuff, maybe try & get a few passenger rides before you decide? I've passengered in a turbo'd car on track & it was b****y exciting but I'm not sure I could live with it in all weathers etc. thankfully the driver was superb ;)