• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

croft trackday 24 august

SIMON.G.

Pete, I'd of thought the constant fall in pressure should not happen if you dip your clutch as your going down the gears. But if you don't dip your clutch then that might have some reason why the pressure drops constantly at speed.

PS, your not meant to dip your clutch ;)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pilot Pete

• danmo

• evo-mark

• SIMON.G.

Pete, I'd of thought the constant fall in pressure should not happen if you dip your clutch as your going down the gears. But if you don't dip your clutch then that might have some reason why the pressure drops constantly at speed.

PS, your not meant to dip your clutch ;)

What do you mean exactly by dipping my clutch, I use the clutch to change down? Or do you mean holding my clutch down while I go through the gears. Deffo dont do that, remember having a bad experience on my 1st ever trackday years ago doing that! The cap wasn't impressed with the ensuing spin and the amount of his tyre rubber left on the track. :D  :D  :D

I mean the hairpin being the slowest corner in the country I go round it in 2nd, should be 1st really. So the revs drop towards the low scale as I crawl round, not sure what but its probs around 2000rpm, maybe even lower.

I could try left foot braking with a blip but with my lack of skill that could end up hurting the wallet if not anything else! :D

So approaching the corner that is encouraging the oil pressure to drop, I presume your in 4th. So when you change down to third, you press clutch followed by engagement of 3rd gear :p Is your next action lift off the clutch ???

If so, your asking the engine to assist you to brake. Which, does lead to transmission failure and oversteer. This ultimately is wrong. However, it would maintain the engine revs somewhat which is where I am getting at :p

So approaching the corner that is encouraging the oil pressure to drop, I presume your in 4th. So when you change down to third, you press clutch followed by engagement of 3rd gear :p Is your next action lift off the clutch ???

no approach for that corner will be in 3rd gear

hard on the brakes and clutch dabbed and 2nd gear selected just before turning into the hair pin

If so, your asking the engine to assist you to brake. Which, does lead to transmission failure and oversteer. This ultimately is wrong. However, it would maintain the engine revs somewhat which is where I am getting at :p

2nd one I think. :D

That corner I dont change down, just leave it in 4th all the way round until just before the right hander where I snatch 3rd. In fact I spose that might explain the drop in pressure at that point. :blush:  :D

But if I was to change down I would put clutch in, change gear and let the clutch out.

So what should I be doing after engaging the gear? :)

Always open to advice. :t-up:

no approach for that corner will be in 3rd gear

hard on the brakes and clutch dabbed and 2nd gear selected just before turning into the hair pin

Oh sorry, thought he meant the one before, yes, above is correct for the hairpin.

The slow left hand hairpin, looks to be where the oil pressure drops off and that is where I refer.

So you approach that in 3rd, do you change down and drop the clutch before you turn in  :p

The slow left hand hairpin, looks to be where the oil pressure drops off and that is where I refer.

So you approach that in 3rd, do you change down and drop the clutch before you turn in  :p

Like Mark says I change to 2nd before turning in. So go round in 2nd.

Its literally as mark says a dab on the clutch for the change.

Dan, thats weird, I could access those pics this morning but cant now. Try uploading them to photobucket, much easier.

Yeh thats cos of the way i was getting them on - you had to register to use them on this site :p

Cheers for the photobucket idea - as you said much easier.

Now pics are easier to see.

Cheers again for loan of the wheels ;)

Dan :D

So why does the oil pressure constantly drop then if your keeping up the engine revs ???

Thats what I was trying to say, travelling at that speed in 2nd gear probably equates to very low revs. :)

What speed is the hairpin does anyone know? I could work out what revs it is if I knew what speed I was doing.

So why does the oil pressure constantly drop then if your keeping up the engine revs ???

Thats what I was trying to say, travelling at that speed in 2nd gear probably equates to very low revs. :)

What speed is the hairpin does anyone know? I could work out what revs it is if I knew what speed I was doing.

Pete, I am trying to indicate to you that the revs may not be very low ;)

Hairpins down south such as North Bend at Lydden I take at about 35mph or Druids at Brands I take a bit quicker I'd of thought, but can't be specific sorry.

Pete, I am trying to indicate to you that the revs may not be very low ;)

Hairpins down south such as North Bend at Lydden I take at about 35mph or Druids at Brands I take a bit quicker I'd of thought, but can't be specific sorry.

I would have thought it was tighter than the hairpin at Lydden looking at video footage but I've never driven it.

I seem to remember a commentator saying its the slowest corner of any UK circuit, but could be wrong on that.

I think Mallory Parks hairpin is possibly tighter but obviously much much more cambered so possibly quicker?