• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingofthetwisties

• jeff oakley

• Hammy

• Tigger

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, take the rocker box top off and spin the engine by hand until the timing marks show number one cylinder is at TDC. The rocker arms at the back of the engine should rock when you turn the engine either way. If they don't then it is TDC at number four so spin until 1 is TDC rocking on 4.

the rotor arm will now point to where number one lead is. Number 4 lead will be dead opposite the other two are as the firing order.

If you didn't move the distributor then the timing should be okay after this

Just re read your first post and IIRC correctly the rotor arm goes clockwise, long time since I worked on one.

Easy way to check is rotate engine by hand clock wise and see which way the rotor arm goes, pretty sure it will be clockwise. So reposition leads to match.

Just re read your first post and IIRC correctly the rotor arm goes clockwise, long time since I worked on one.

Easy way to check is rotate engine by hand clock wise and see which way the rotor arm goes, pretty sure it will be clockwise. So reposition leads to match.

fresh from the garage the rotation of the arm is defo anti clockwise

I have checked and double checked the leads. took the rocker cover off and checked to make sure I had the right set up. It still will not fire up. I tried a complete 180 just to check and it did not even try to fire up so I have now gone back to what i belive to be correct. it does try to fire up but only spits and barks.

I am assuming that the isse must now lie in the carbs.

You dont tell us wether or not  you  checked the static timing marks when you fitted the new head .

Can we assume the camshaft is correctly orientated with the crankshaft  :t-up:

You dont tell us wether or not  you  checked the static timing marks when you fitted the new head .

:t-up:

Wouldn't start on the Carb's just yet...

Hi, note sure what you mean by the static timing marks.

I took the cam off and fitted it back on without the engine turning or moving at all so assumed that all would still be in line.

Is this not the case?

I took the cam off and fitted it back on without the engine turning or moving at all so assumed that all would still be in line.

Is this not the case?

So are you saying you marked up the Cam position before removing it and then refitted it in exactly the same place without rotating the crank    ???

oh my gawd....

If you've had the cam out then you must check that is timed correctly before you go any further.

Is this not the case?

So are you saying you marked up the Cam position before removing it and then refitted it in exactly the same place without rotating the crank    <!--emo&???

I didnt mark the cam just removed it and put it back how I took it off.

How can I tell if it is aligned correctly

depending on the cam set up you have - if its a standard cog on the cam then it will have a liitle pip mark, which is set to face a similar pip on the crank sprocket .  If its a vernier cam gear then you need a dial guage to set tdc and a protractor to set the cam against the manufacturers specification.-   I'd advise buying a Haynes manual for a x/flow engined car - Mk2 Cortina or similar.

This will also give you all the torque setting etc and show how to set a biasic cam setup and will cover timing firing order the lot.

Not too late to ask Santa

Without being rude are we all talking about the same thing? The cam would require you to remove a cover off the front of the engine and the crank pulley. describe what you actually did as to remove the head on a crossflow you don't need to touch the cam.

If you email a phone number I will call you tomorrow to talk it through with you.