Ards test

neo

Well perhaps it's the time of year, or it's contagious, or summat.............. but following on from my comments on The Birkett thread I decided to get me a race licence.

Done quite a few track days and have decided I needed to move to the next level  ???   ??? Been on the MSA website and ordered me "Go racing starter pack" just need to find a series I can hopefully enter the Westy in.

I think I might struggle to get it in some of the series because of some of the mods to it  :durr:   :durr:  but hey ho there are lots of other cars to go racing in.  :D   :D

Northern Saloons series looks the right sort of stuff even if croft is a bit of a trek.

Anyway Best of luck Jeff

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JeffC

• Mark Stanton

• conibear

• neo

cheers  :t-up:

trying to work out what class my car would go in, anyone any idea  ???

Im guessing it would go into E but not sure on what tyres they have to run, will maybe drop Mark Leybourne an email think he has had a bit to do with nssc  in the past :t-up:

Conibear, looking at the NSSC site mine would probably drop in the A2 class.

It's basically a SEiW with a modded 2L duratec, 6 speed Quaife sequential, full cage on slicks. It's been developed in that way to suit me and not really anything else.

Most people seem to think the gearbox will not allow it to go into a lot of classes  :(   :(  it would be nice if someone told me different though.

I suppose if that was the only sticking point it would have to be changed  :arse:  :arse:  but I like it so much and was something I always wanted in a car, but didn't want to go the BEC route.................. so if BEC cars can have a sequential box why can't I (where's the sad grumpy b*****d smilie)

:D   :D   :D

Was thinking that I should get the race licence rolling and spend some time discussing race series at the Autosport show.

Any suggestions

Cheers

I sent off for my MSA pack, and have been researching.  I'd love SEMSEC last year, but having a bit of an issue with the medical...

I have a heart condition called Congenital Aortic Stenosis, which day-to-day causes me no issues, Not on any drugs, etc.  It did stop me getting my Pilots license 5 years ago, and i hope the race license doesn't go the same way.  To put it into mechanical terms, the output valve of one of the chambers of the heart doesn't fully open, restricting the maximum flow through the heart - meaning my maximum blood flow and therefore stamina is reduced.  On a day to day basis, this isn't noticeable - i can do as much exercise as a "normal fitness" sort of person.

MSA's medical advisor said that they follow the DVLA Class 2 HGV guidelines closely and if I can achieve that, they would look favorably on my application.  I decided to go and get a private appointment with a cardiologist... who has now referred me to the hospital to get an echocardiogram and treadmill test.

He's very confident it's no problem, but knows that on the surface the echo test shows up abnormal, so it needs to be researched further.  An HGV license requires a heart test to spot heard disease which may lead to heart attacks - this shows a different abnormality to mine apparently.  Apparently i'm now even able to get a national pilots license under recently changed rules!

So...  fingers crossed!  Anyone have any advice/thoughts/experience?  I'm prepared for the worst, so its not a sensitive topic or anything!

It's basically a SEiW with a modded 2L duratec, 6 speed Quaife sequential, full cage on slicks.

Most people seem to think the gearbox will not allow it to go into a lot of classes  :(   :(  it would be nice if someone told me different though.

Cam, my SEIW is the same spec.

I race at Semsec and in the slick class. In this class there are NO rules on power or gearbox.

What signify's a class at Semsec is engine capacity, type of car normally aspirated or not and tyres. So you would be the same as me, if at Semsec. I thought the NSSC was a mirror of Semsec TBH. FWIW, my mate who also races at Semsec bought his car from a guy that competed in the NSSC back in 2005.

So unless you have paddle shift (which I don't think is allowed) you do NOT have a problem with the spec of your car ;)  :cool:

Carl, sorry to hear about your condition. I'd of thought the ECG and treadmill test would prove your ok for racing, hope to see you on the grid next year :t-up:

so... race pack arrives, I get straight on the phone to Croft circuit to book my ards test and...........

they did the last one of the year on Wednesday  :arse: they are not taking bookings now till Feb/march  :mad:  :arse: so its either wait or sit it elsewhere  :(

What about a call to the following:

Donington Park, Cadwell Park, Mallory Park, Knockhill, Silverstone  ;)  :)  :)  ;)

It's been developed in that way to suit me and not really anything else.

Cam, I think you've probably answered your own question on your car and finding a race championship  ;)  ;)  :(

I've often posted it - that ideally you need to find a race championship that you'd like to enter and then build your car towards those regs  ;)  ;)  ;)

Buidling a car specifically how you want it and then trying to find a race championship that encompasses those particular items is very difficult  ;)  :(

Cam - if you want to try racing take a look at the Locost 750MC championship  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

Yep I know they aren't the quickest of things - but if you want to "race" they are all reasonably well matched  ;) and cost effective - loads of track time - friendly helpful paddock - and circuits throughout the UK - a good championship to learn "race craft" if you like it - you can continue or sell your car and move onto quicker things - if you don't like it - flog your car and you won't have lost much money, if anything  ;)  :)

Maybe have a word with Ivan and Matt at ProComp  ;)  :)

To be honest for what it would cost to down spec and prepare your car - for not much more you could have a ready to go Locost  ;)  ;) and you've got everything else already  ;)

Cam - What about Westfields own race series?, new car for next year from the factory (2ltr Zetec) or pick up a cheaper current car (1.8 Zetec)? Both will run on the same grid but will be split for championships.

All the major circuits, mostly double headers (keeps the travelling cost down) and you can 'keep the faith' in a Westfield.....................

Cam - What about Westfields own race series?, new car for next year from the factory (2ltr Zetec) or pick up a cheaper current car (1.8 Zetec)? Both will run on the same grid but will be split for championships.

And we know that for fact as I've heard nothing

Apparently, packages for the new race car will be revealed at the London Motor Show on December 12th and then on the WSC website

Try giving Simon Westwood a ring at the factory, he will be please to hear from you and he will comfirm all details.................or drop me a PM

That's not a very professional way to release information of a championship now is it  :(  :(  :(  :(  ;)

I'm sure the folks at WSC Ltd will release info in the correct and proper manner when available and not via whispers and rumours :)  :)