• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Ards test

neo

Hi guys has anyone done the ARDS test recently to obtain their Race national B Liecence ? just wondering what was involved in the theory test paper mainly, if anyone can remember the basic platform can they give me a pm or reply please, how long is it amount of questions and on what etc....

:D

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JeffC

• Mark Stanton

• conibear

• neo

Me to - Croft bulk buy anyone  :D  :D

Send of to MSA for a pack (video licence application etc) book a ARDs course at an approved school, couple of laps with an instructor and on your own, written exam (easy peasy) on racing stuff flags n the like, send off pass form. Have a medical and hey presto (probably not in the right order  :D )

Not so difficult, I've recently done the 5-day course thing at Silverstone, culminating in a Formula Ford race (or should that be destruction derby). Anyway, apart from the cost (and lets say my approach wasn't cheap), its pretty straightforward. Main reason for doing the Silverstone thing is that as a 'graduate' I get to go back and race FF's on Stow, if the wife can afford it (RACING IS NOT CHEAP).

The 'exam' is a multiple choice thing, with a very dim view taken on getting the flag questions wrong. There were even multiple goes at this for those particularly challenged. Driving 'test' isn't a time to prove how fast you can drive a car, but how safely, given test day traffic. The medical is simple, given good blood pressure and a reasonable state of health and peripheral vision, no problem. I had some issues with the sight test, but then my eyesight not the best.

Enjoy!

Mallory used to be one of the cheapest places.  :)

Ive already booked my ARDS but its a few weeks away yet,

ive done the following so far.

1, got MSA racing pack first, £52.00

2, got GP medical last week, £40.00

3, Booked ARDS test at CROFT £260.00

Medical was lights and levels and tyre pressure stuff like that.

LOL

Basically medical required 6/6 vision with normal view

Normal blood pressure

Urine test sample

Arms and legs check for movement and strenth

Listen to my chest etc.

and then the normal load of questions like, ever had blackouts,fits,blurred vision,head pains.

all those sort of thing like diabetics, will require further questions and reports.

Mine was fine so just the ARDS bit to do....

I did mine at Mallory - it was easy peasy, cheap and can be done on a Saturday morning. No course needed other than learning the DVD / video that the MSA send you in the introduction pack.

The questions are all multiple choice and fairly easy. There is a section on the various flag colours and what the mean but you MUST get all of them correct or its an instant fail. The second part is about such things as:-

Your car catches fire. What do you do?

a) Park up and run to the side of the track

b) Get to the nearest marshall's post

c) Carry on back to the paddock

(The correct answer is (b) BTW  ;)

The driving part is the easiest - they just want you to show that you are aware of other traffic around you, use the racing line and check your mirrors.

HTH

John

Its a doodle. I did mine at 3 sisters in Feb this year. Its all about common sense and not trying to prove you Senna. There looking for your ability to control the car, turning, apexes, awareness mirrors etc. The written test is a doddle too again common sense. There's a few trick questions in there on the flags and in the race craft section but if you read them the do stand out rather. I got 100% on the test. so that says how easy it is!

I suggest watch the DVD provided with the pack, then Watch the DVD. Then watch the DVD and when your board with it watch the DVD again... all the info you require for the written test is on there + learn your flags

As for the written test there are 3 different papers. I didn't get the question asked above

Thing is relax, be patient and use your head, you'll enjoy it.

There's one thing for sure once you've started racing then the Speed Series palse into insignificance regarding shear entertainment value. I don't want to sound derogatory to the guys in the speed series as they're are some great drivers that would make great racing drivers, but I'm talking about having cars all around you plus the adrenaline rush on the start line wow I just can't explain it its absolutely insaine. As for tracks days well they don't even come anyway close to what real racing is all about trust me they are micky mouse compared to the real thing.

Buzz

UPDATE, Did my ARDS at croft Friday and its in the bag, passed LOL

For anyone else its as above really.

Exam paper is

14 questions on flags you need 100% on here or its a fail

7 questions on racing in general, like fire extinguishers and stuff

7 questions on when racing what ot do, scrutneering and stuff

30 mins on track and thats about it.

i went for 0830 friday and was on my way home by 11am

really enjoyed it mind, done now anyways

JEFF C  your turn mate LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I'm booked in to do my ARDS on Thursday with Darren B but am having real trouble getting the GP bit of the application form filled in.

I went to my GP and they told me they would not do it on NHS time, and put me in contact with someone who just will not answer their phone. Did you have any GP problems ?

No - just went to GP. He just advised that he would not sign anything to do with shotguns and live animals.

Dont take any bull from your GP. You pay NI and are entitled to his services. Threaten him your MP.  :angry:

Really ? b*******. Sounds like another case of London GP's doing as little as possible to try and cope with the crazy patient numbers.

:(

Good, lots of new racing drivers. Where do you all intend to race? Which series?

I did my ARDS course at Silverstone on a soaking wet day in November. My examiner was Danny Watts. I was completely at ease when he told me I'd fail if I spun or went off and he'd also fail me if I didn't go as fast as he thought I could  :D

Very expensive though, not the test but what it led onto.

Hi Mobsy,

My main racing will be with the RAF as we guest at various race venues (Cadwell, Snetterton and Mallory Park), however, my plans include SEMSEC at Lydden.  My aim is to use SEMSEC to build some experience and get sufficient signatures to get rid of my BIF cross so that I can be part of the RAF team at the Birkett 6 hour team endurance event at Silvertsone in October.  Also planning on a race on the Silverstone National circuit in order to get a time for the Birkett handicap system.

Fortunately I know the chief instructor at Mallory so hoping it won't be quite such a tense set of guidlines to work to.

What racing are you doing?