Discount on hold for club members

Mark Williamson

So does this mean that if your pride and joy is not factory build or uses a number of non-factory components it can't be certified and therefore the perception is the car is worth less??? If this is the case it's total utter nonesense!! :angry:  :angry:

I know a number of cars, and I'm sure others on here do too, that use a large number of non-westfield parts and are excellent!

I wonder, as has been mentioned earlier, if this is the first step to factory only build cars, - that would be very sad and would take the spirit out of Westfields. ( In my view ).

.....Oh, and as for whether it's safe etc, - isn't that what the SVA is for?????

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scott beeland

• jak

• Norman Verona

• rgs_laverda

.....Oh, and as for whether it's safe etc, - isn't that what the SVA is for??

Julian is attempting to tidy up on cars that are legally registered already but modified and dangerous  :devil:

Edited to add:

As well as sell more westfield parts  :devil:  :devil:

The motive isn't wrong it's just the way WF want to go about it is questionable.

So does this mean that if your pride and joy is not factory build or uses a number of non-factory components it can't be certified and therefore the perception is the car is worth less??? If this is the case it's total utter nonesense!! :angry:  :angry:

Sue em Charlie :devil:  :devil:

You're talking about the diff mounts in the chassis here presumably?  :devil:  :p;)

Or do you mean steering arms falling off front cast uprights??  ;):D

mmc [+]

You're talking about the diff mounts in the chassis here presumably?  :devil:  :p;)

Or do you mean steering arms falling off front cast uprights??  ;):D

mmc [+]

What it made you chuckle when you diff mounts cracked  :D  :D

Pats my non standard braced rear end  :p:p

Bazzer

So does this mean that if your pride and joy is not factory build or uses a number of non-factory components it can't be certified and therefore the perception is the car is worth less??? If this is the case it's total utter nonesense!!

I thought it was to prevent people selling cars as 'factory built' and therefore profiting from that when they are actually not factory built and are of poorer quality. You see it all the time on advertisments on ebay and pistonheads etc.

It would be beneficial to the less experienced who buy these cars to know that they are actually getting what they are paying for. A simple call to the factory with the reg number would reveal the complete spec and therefore what mods had been made since the origonal build.

or not ?

So does this mean that if your pride and joy is not factory build or uses a number of non-factory components it can't be certified and therefore the perception is the car is worth less??? If this is the case it's total utter nonesense!!

I thought it was to prevent people selling cars as 'factory built' and therefore profiting from that when they are actually not factory built and are of poorer quality. You see it all the time on advertisments on ebay and pistonheads etc.

It would be beneficial to the less experienced who buy these cars to know that they are actually getting what they are paying for. A simple call to the factory with the reg number would reveal the complete spec and therefore what mods had been made since the origonal build.

or not ?

That is completely different to inspecting peoples cars and "Certifying" them.

Also the whole factory built thing is complete rubbish, the factory builds them to a cost in a given time frame. Thry can be built better it just takes longer. As I have intimated in earlier posts the factory attaches removable panels with self tapers, there are ways of doing this better. Its just cheaper and faster to do it that way.

I am not sure I would buy a factory car. I would buy one that had been built by someone who cared with great attention to detail.

Bazzer

I'd be insulted if the factory said my car was built to their standard.

And I'd never buy a car that was factory built - I'd want to buy from someone who knew how to look after their car properly because they knew what went into putting it together right in the first place.

Many thanks for the comments on the thread, i would just like to clarify some points which unfortunately have been mislead through the wording used in my previous email.

Car database

The database will detail the basics of the car, mainly whether it was factory built or whether it was sold as a kit.  This will stop people intending to profit from using the words "factory built".  It will also guide people throughout the purchase of the vehicle.  They can find out the history of the vehicle who made it etc.  If a kit was well made by an enthusiast then they should be proud and hence rewarded by having their kit looked over and registered by the factory.  This is not intended to devalue kits or increase the price of factory built cars, nor is it a ploy to sell more factory built cars.  It is a way of getting integrity into the market and helping those that aren't sure about a car they are looking at purchasing.

If you use other parts during the build of the car then this WILL NOT de-value your car or effect the price, as i described earlier the database will hold the very basic information on the car (Who built it, Chassis no. and Engine number).  Westfield's biggest market in the UK is the kit market, we want to support this.

I hope this provides some clarity

Julian

Surely you have all this information already ?

You should know what cars are factory built, module kits etc etc.

Surely if someone gives you a chassis number you can tell them already if it was factory built ?

How does the Certifying process fit into all this ?

Cheers

Bazzer

Well FWIW I think this sounds like a good idea.  :D

I have a factory supplied kit, down to every bolt...  :suspect:  Ish  :D  And later got a factory supplied TB kit and fitted that myself. So I guess a certificate / car history would show this, which may help a potential buyer make a more informed decision?  

If I was ever to sell my car...  :0  Which I never intend too.  :t-up:  :laugh:

I wonder if it will include serial numbers of other key parts, such as gearbox etc helping with potential insurance claims or even recovery and therefore prices of insurance in general? Stealing 7's may not be a billion dollar industry but it does happen? ?

I'd be insulted if the factory said my car was built to their standard.

And I'd never buy a car that was factory built - I'd want to buy from someone who knew how to look after their car properly because they knew what went into putting it together right in the first place.

Oh so you've seen the quality/finsh of my factory built car then have you?

LOTS of supposition/bulls*** being dished out on this thread

I don't need certification for mine, I have the original reciept from the factory for a fully built car and lots of other Westfiled reciepts for the upgrades. Surely getting mine certified would be a pointless task. I do agree that some cars built at home are better quality, ie better quality parts and fixings. It is obvious that someone building a car as a hobby that has good engineering skills would use more attension to detail and if money was no object as with some they would use the best of everything. As for the data base if you need details about the car checked then there is quite a bit your A/O's can help you with as the club has a database of owners including engine type and size, colour, registration, number, year of build and chassis number. Obviously this info has to be used carefully though and I would only ever confirm to someone the details they have, as I would say letting someone know a chassis number by giving them the reg number would be a dangerous game. My dad had his Westfield ringed, he got a speeding ticket in Newcastle in his Westfield having never been there, obviously someone copied the details at a show and probably had no SVA etc.

Also the whole factory built thing is complete rubbish, the factory builds them to a cost in a given time frame. Thry can be built better it just takes longer. As I have intimated in earlier posts the factory attaches removable panels with self tapers, there are ways of doing this better. Its just cheaper and faster to do it that way.

I am not sure I would buy a factory car. I would buy one that had been built by someone who cared with great attention to detail.

Bazzer

Bazzer....Exactly how many factory built cars have you inspected in finite detail to substantiate your postings?

I'd challenge anyone to find much wrong in the way of quality/finish on my 2002 factory Seight.

Sure...there will be bits on the car (like every car!!) that YOU and maybe others (including me) might have done differently....but as far as quality of finish goes.....Like I said.I've seen plenty worse home builds

Interesting thread, - Scott, - I don't think any of us would question the quality of the product we all love and drive round in, - otherwise we wouldn't have bought a Westy in the first place and I'd happily buy a factory build car. The point I'm making is just because a car isn't factory build doesn't mean the quality is poor and there are lots of non-factory build cars that would command a good 2nd hand price, - for example, Scooby's ex car or Barry's beast of a machine.