• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Discount on hold for club members

Mark Williamson

The big boys always go for discount per-centage. They never look at the bottom line. You decide if the business is worth it or not.

There is only good business, the bankruptcy courts are full of those that don't understand this.

Yep your right Norm, they do look at discount percentage, but what gets my goat is my competitors mark up there product to insane levels in order to give 40 - 45% discount to the insurance company's and guess what these company's then use them religously because of this disount and there just dumb enough to actually belive theyve made this saving! :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :durr:

I dont increase my mark up in order to give discounts BUT when I need to give estimates for insurnace replacement I now stick on 25% in order to to afford to  take it off the insane thing is Ive lost business in the past because I refused to give discount although my quote was the cheapest by far! :angry:

My view on discount is simple, not everyone asks for it and therefore the people who dont ask effectively pay for the ones who do ask, I dont feel this is fair I also dont make enough money to give discounts. ( the one line that REALLY winds me up is " I know how much money you people make!")but what I do reward is loyalty because fairs fair.

Sorry rant over this just happend to be my pet hate subject! :blush:

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scott beeland

• jak

• Norman Verona

• rgs_laverda

I would concur with Mr B. perhaps it would be prudent to allow the new management team to carry on with their work and re-structuring and allow time for matters to develop  ;) for everyones mutual benefit  :)

So, when can we expect a comment from the factory?

James, Sorry, maybe I should know, but are you a bodyshop, franchise dealer or independant garage.

My comments are from a franchise dealer with a bodyshop and a commercial vehicle body building operation.

I am writing to confirm the discount policy that is being discussed in both the race series and the owners club.  

We are setting up dealers both in the UK and around the world and while you may think that the factory should give a discount to the owners club we must also ensure that this is communicated and implemented throughout the world.  This is so that the factory is mirrored around the globe with its pricing and not undermining its dealer agreements that are in place.

Some of the people that do buy in bulk have been offered agreements.  I have also made available for every new customer throughout the world the first years memebership for free also made available through our dealers network.  

The topic of discount is being discussed with the committee, BUT, it must be implemented the correct way and when working with agents in partnership we must honour our agreements with them and offer them the same.

While i want the factory to remain competitive it is necessary to look at a number of things when judging the cheaper option.  After working on a project in the aviation industry and seeing the effect on aircraft of "cheaper" interchangeable parts i understood very quickly why manufacturers did not move on their price while others undercut them.  

Westfield  provide a safe product for you to drive in a safe environment.  We have designed and thoroughly tested the parts we have made and worked with suppliers to ensure that this is mirrored throughout the supply chain.   That is why we personally test development vehicles prior to them going to production, putting them through hell and earth in order to simulate the worst possible operating conditions.  If this is not done the weakest link fails every time.  Fitting none tested or standard parts can mean this is the weakest link.  I have seen this on some of your vehicles and pointed it my concerns.  

Westfield have acted on this and other misleading claims of so called factory built cars by creating a database of customers cars (linking the chassis numbers to the engines numbers and other coded items on the car.  We will therefore be ensuring this misleading information is stopped in its tracks - i.e you call the factory for information relating to a car you see for sale, we can then tell you the value of the car and who made it etc

The service of factory certification will be available to anyone - this includes cars made by yourselves.  A factory approver will rate your car and your car details will be kept on the database this will also ensure that the vehicles that are built well have a better second hand value than those that are of lower build quality.  This is being launched at the Stoneleigh show and the approval process can be done at the factory or at any show in the future.  I also think we will be giving out plaques on these cars so that people can see that it is approved by us

Insurance companies are also asking us to verify parts on cars for recalls and insurance work, as you can imagine there are always cheaper parts, but then questions get asked as to why certain items were fitted on later - we obviously have not tested, designed or approved these and have therefore given evidence where necessary.

I hope this provides you some answers

Julian

Insurance companies are also asking us to verify parts on cars for recalls and insurance work, as you can imagine there are always cheaper parts, but then questions get asked as to why certain items were fitted on later - we obviously have not tested, designed or approved these and have therefore given evidence where necessary.

Why do insurance companies need this information? Will it be used as a basis to refuse a claim?

John

John

This is not uncommon  ;) for example a few years ago when the Seight V8 option was developed and introduced by westfield a number of insurance companies requested chassis no.'s for ensuring that a V8 car was indeed the correct chassis for the engine fitment  :)

Why do insurance companies need this information? Will it be used as a basis to refuse a claim?

John

whilst I dont trust Insurance company's more than a mm I cant see how they can refuse a claim based on the fact that not ALL the parts came from westfield they have agreed after all to insure a "kit Car" which by defenition will be made up from a collection of parts from various manufacturers, I feel they would be on a sticky wicket there.

Besides does that mean that a car running Cortina uprights may be refused its claim because the upright didnt come from Westfield ???

Although I wouldnt put it past them to try and squirm there way out of everything posible.

like I said earlier only one notch above Pond Scum!

Julian.

Thanks; on my part at least; for a clear and concise explanation of plans and processes taking shape within Westfield at this point in time. It is abundantly evident that you have a clear grasp of the bigger picture as far as the cars/ club/brand/market/customer base go.  

The simple move to offering new customers their 1st years WSCC membership free shows your thinking was already in line  with what the club would like to see as an increased link between club and factory.

As far as the ever increasing new ideas go...I'm certainly interested in speaking to you about getting my 2002 factory build Seight certified/approved.

See you at Stoneleigh

James, Sorry, maybe I should know, but are you a bodyshop, franchise dealer or independant garage.

My comments are from a franchise dealer with a bodyshop and a commercial vehicle body building operation.

None of the above..........

Im not in the Car Industry at all although I think I should have shares in Westfield by now!

But I deal with Insurance company's every day in my trade and I know them of old!

The service of factory certification will be available to anyone - this includes cars made by yourselves.  A factory approver will rate your car and your car details will be kept on the database this will also ensure that the vehicles that are built well have a better second hand value than those that are of lower build quality.  This is being launched at the Stoneleigh show and the approval process can be done at the factory or at any show in the future.  I also think we will be giving out plaques on these cars so that people can see that it is approved by us

Now that could be interesting... I'd like to see what they'd make of mine!

:D

Now that could be interesting... I'd like to see what they'd make of mine!

:D

I would like to get mine "factory approved" as certainly sometimes the appeal to some would be a great benefit.

I like the way the factory is thinking, we have had endless post's on here bemoaning the residuals our cars make. Here is one way that this would help us all.

I would also be interested in getting my car approved as I can see the benefits with resale value's.

Unfortunatly I cant make it to Stoneleigh as my dear wife booked our holiday on the Sunday Bless ???

But I would be interested in details on how I can do this I may need to go to the factory soon as my brother is considering the Mazda SDV as my Mum's MX5 is going spare.

Is this something that could be done at the same time?

Julian, great to see how Westfield is taking the business forward.  I love the idea of factory certification, but I can't make Stoneleigh either.  Any chance you can send someone out to Seattle?  I'll buy the coffee :)

-John