Touring in a westy...

Gez

I've done a fair amount of touring over the past 11 years and I can't say that I've ever cursed the size of the tank or been troubled by it.  You will appreciate the chance to stretch your legs in my opinion after you have emptied that tank anyway.  This will be the case whether you have been a a serious blat or a gentle run.

If your going to stop to fill up from a can, you may as well stop at a petrol station and do the same thing, it will hardly take you any longer.

Solution to not being able to get V Power would be to carry a bottle of Octane booster.

i find the size of the tank a right pain in the ar5e. especially before i went to fuel injection.  its almost embarrasing you over take everything in sight.  stop for petrol, overtake them again.  happened to me once on a run back down from skye that i overtook the same car three times.  it can really cut in to your a to b time. if you actually want to get somewhere and having stop every hour for fuel is a feck on.

i shall hopefully be fitting a 60 litre tank this year if i decide to do the guild of motor endurance rally.  need to be able to do a whole mornings run without needing petrol.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gez

• Tarmac Terrorist

• EeekiE

• combatsapph

Gez

Dont know what the mpg is gonna be since the carbs where set up and new ecu fitted.Only went 30 miles.

But before, i guess it did 20 plus.But im an advanced Granny driver aint I!

Take it easy , dont want you rapped round a tree like many before.

You should go on the Scot Beeland school of motoring course  :D

Phil

Ps If you ever need paint for her its Chevrolet  Apple Red

Cheers Phil

I'm probably even more keen not to wrap it round a tree than you!  *touch wood* I've not stuffed a car yet and don't plan on starting now!  i've been taking it very easy in the corners for that very reason and do all my accelerating and braking in a straight line.

Being an advanced driver doesn't mean you have to or do drive like a granny though... its about making safe progress.  There's nothing wrong with accelerating quite hard if its safe to do so, and getting the most out of the car.  I've done one advanced driving coure myself and am doing another this summer with the High Performance Club - run by some of the countries best advanced and police driving instructors.

Gez

The gauge might be innacurate. You'd have to be pedalling *very* hard or have your fuelling *very* rich to only get 15mpg on average.

I agree, I spent a day at Curborough last week and reckon my 1.8 zetec on t/bs was doing 15 -20 mpg, and the car spent most of it's time bouncing off the rev limiter in second.  :D  :D  If you are getting that kind of mpg on the road you either drive like a lunatic or there is something amiss with the car.

I run the 1.6 Zetec SE and get about 130 miles to a tank. I also carry a 20Litre jerry can in my bootbox strappd to my roll cage and have travelled the length and bredth of Blighty for speed series rounds without being stopped or any concerns.

I run the 1.6 Zetec SE and get about 130 miles to a tank. I also carry a 20Litre jerry can in my bootbox strappd to my roll cage and have travelled the length and bredth of Blighty for speed series rounds without being stopped or any concerns.

Thanks mark, thats the sort of idea i was after.

Gez,

Something to consider, if I remember correctly it’s illegal to carry that much spare fuel, and it’s not easy to hide in a Westy. I think 10 litres is the most you can store in a vehicle?

Jeeesus I usually car 60ltres of optimax in  jerry cans in the van for a race weekend!. I think carrying 10 litres in the westy would be a better option having a big 20 litre jerry is a pain. Before I got the van I'd always take a 20 litre jerry can plus all my kit and it was a pain

Strapping the 10 litre jerry can down would be easier and simpler. However,(just to rub it in) My 4.6 V8 does around 30mpg so I can usually do around 220 to a long range tank. (7gall), but I normally fill up up well before that due to the very thirsty 2.0litre boys always in fuel stations  :p

Buzz