Touring in a westy...

Gez

After my first proper run out in my new toy (thanks phil h, she's beautiful!), its pretty evident that more than 90miles on a tank is optimistic.  This wasn't too much of a problem, and for blatting around locally should be fine, but...

I'm planning a long weekend of driving with some other marques in May up around Scotland, and although fuel stops have been planned into the route, they have been planned assuming 'normal' cars with 'normal' size fuel tanks.  I've started thinking about carrying extra fuel (eg a 20 litre jerry can) so that i could fill up at the roadside in between stops and exend my range to be comparable(ish) with the rest.

Hopefully i won't have to carry luggage, as i should be able to get one of the other cars to take it, but would prefer to be able to carry my own fuel incase the cars get split into groups en route and me and my fuel get seperated!

Has anyone done this before, or got any good solutions?  I thought about maybe replacing the spare wheel with something fabricated from a machine mart jerry can holder that incorporates a padlock so it would be secure overnight.  I would also like to retain use of the wet weather gear, so i could at least put it up at night to keep the elements out as the car would be parked outside.

Edited to add - The one worry i have about this idea is, is it a good idea to have 20 litres of fuel sticking out of the back of my car in case someone rear ends me or something?

Gez

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gez

• Tarmac Terrorist

• EeekiE

• combatsapph

I think there's a bigger tank option available from Westfield from what I've been reading.

While we're on the subject though, what sort of miles should I expect from a Sport 1600 with standard tank?

It all depends on how u use the loud pedal.....keep off it a bit and you CAN tour comfortably but factor in stopping when you can and keep the tank brimmed...touring in France was always a challenge when they used to shut at 8pm and were few and far between...it was a case of see fuel-buy it.

Gez,

Something to consider, if I remember correctly it’s illegal to carry that much spare fuel, and it’s not easy to hide in a Westy. I think 10 litres is the most you can store in a vehicle?

Cheers

Mark

it was a case of see fuel-buy it.

That's was how i managed to get from Cambridge to Munich and back a year or so ago  ;)

What engine do you have  ???  In my 2.0ltr Zetec I can get 150 miles in touring mode, or a lot less if having serious fun  :D  As Westy 1700 says, it depends on how much you use the loud pedal  ;)

A long range fuel tank is a must imo if you want to go touring in a Westfield. I'm going to include one with my build, will need on my yearly jaunts out to the Nurburgring.

Dont particularly fancy running out of fuel on the Brussels ring road :laugh:

That tank is Wiiiiiiide!

Have you got a shallower boot box now or just going to fit a panel of some sort over the rear?

The factory do a special boot box to fit with the bigger fuel tank.

It's still large enough for toneau, hood, tools, spare in a can, fire extinguisher, Botttle of water and cleaning products.

Why will it only do 90 miles to a tank? What have you got in the front ???

My 244 brake XE used to get 120-150 to a tank even at mad blatting speeds

I'm getting 120+ miles to a tank on a X/flow with Webers [( ~22mpg?) before I loose my nerve and fill up ], which I know runs rich on mid range.

I'm hoping to get more now with Megajolt and some car fettling ( ~25mpg)

X/flow must be one of the most uneconomical options too

Maybe you need to look at the motor ?

Wow that's HUGE! I'll be lucky to see a tank half that size... Touring with such a small tank could present another problem. I for one have my car mapped on Shell V-Power, and always plan my journey to tie in refuelling at a Shell Station (It's sad I know, but I entered their locations into my Tom Tom). I really don't like using anything other than V-Power but with a small tank like I have to use, it'll become MUCH more difficult to make sure I'm near one every time I want to fill up. The nearest Shell station to my house for example is a 30 mile round trip. I suppose the simplest option is to map the car on some 95RON.

You could always use the Tescos 99 RON super unleaded. I've used it loads before in my car as well as the V-power without any problems.

Although in light of the recent fuel contamination it might be best to stay clear of Tescos for a while :laugh:

Yeah, I'm just being picky - I've never put anything other than Optimax or V-Power through the engine and just wanted it to stay that way.

With that long range tank sat behind the rear wheels - does it effect the handling at all?