Touring in a westy...

Gez

That only mentions storing fuel on property. Not carrying it around in a car. It just says storing fuel at home, work-place, or in a car is risky.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gez

• Tarmac Terrorist

• EeekiE

• combatsapph

Have you actually run the tank dry? My old car read empty after about 80 miles but I was forced to test it once and I managed 132 before finding a petrol station.

The gauge might be innacurate. You'd have to be pedalling *very* hard or have your fuelling *very* rich to only get 15mpg on average.

I bought 2 x 10l plastic containers to increase the range of my tin top when touring in France. Also a tight ar5e cos my fuel is paid for in the UK  :D

Why do Halfrauds sell 10l if the law says 5l??

Also, there are specific restrictions if you use the tunnel.

Clicky

Thanks for that Mark, had a google, but couldn't find anything.

So reading that, i can carry 20 litres, but it would have to be in 2 10 litre metal containers. Still viable and would extend my range considerably.

Now how do i carry this on a westy?  Luggage rack that still allows usage of a bootbox, rack where the spare wheel is? any other ideas?

Have you actually run the tank dry? My old car read empty after about 80 miles but I was forced to test it once and I managed 132 before finding a petrol station.

The gauge might be innacurate. You'd have to be pedalling *very* hard or have your fuelling *very* rich to only get 15mpg on average.

the 18mpg was based on brimming it, getting mileage then brimming it again with 20 quids worth of fuel.  I probably was pedalling very hard, but then again, is there any other way?

Just got a response from Westfield - long range compatible boot box - £78.03 in vat!

Now to sell my standard box :-)

YOU BIN RAGGING MY LITTLE CAR!!!!!!

Dont think its a smaller than average tank.

Glad your enjoying it.Space in the garage is tooo big :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(

Phil

where are you going in scotland? i went right up past loch lomond last year right up the west coast as far as ullapool then over to the east coast right along the caledonian canal past fort augustus back via loch lomond... fuel stops are not a problem.. i used microsoft autoroute to show me the fuel stations and it was bang on everyone was there it said was there!! fuel wasnt a problem.. i have a tank that takes about £26 - £27 to fill in my dax running twin webers... two people all the gear in the car - stayed B & B.

where are you going in scotland? i went right up past loch lomond last year right up the west coast as far as ullapool then over to the east coast right along the caledonian canal past fort augustus back via loch lomond... fuel stops are not a problem.. i used microsoft autoroute to show me the fuel stations and it was bang on everyone was there it said was there!! fuel wasnt a problem.. i have a tank that takes about £26 - £27 to fill in my dax running twin webers... two people all the gear in the car - stayed B & B.

Up to Loch lomond and down the east coast.  There are fuel stops planned in the route for bp ultimate, but they are around 150 miles apart, which is just a bit further than i dare go on a tank.

Gez

18mpg on a 2.0ltr zetec , what spec is it .............. i was easy able to get 150 miles from the tank at a steady 90mph run the other night and thats running 225bhp on carbs , i guess you only have a 2d mapped ecu on carbs ,or something is very very wrong .

27 litres - STD tank? you sure about that?

I thought it was 22

My standard tank definitely takes 28 litres, and coming back from Northampton motorsport, the lack of petrol stations meant I just managed to fill up at Thurrock with 27.4 litres, though I did think I was going to run out on the roundabout after some kangaroo action - the engine didn't like running on fumes. :D

I've done a fair amount of touring over the past 11 years and I can't say that I've ever cursed the size of the tank or been troubled by it.  You will appreciate the chance to stretch your legs in my opinion after you have emptied that tank anyway.  This will be the case whether you have been a a serious blat or a gentle run.

If your going to stop to fill up from a can, you may as well stop at a petrol station and do the same thing, it will hardly take you any longer.

Solution to not being able to get V Power would be to carry a bottle of Octane booster.

Gez

Dont know what the mpg is gonna be since the carbs where set up and new ecu fitted.Only went 30 miles.

But before, i guess it did 20 plus.But im an advanced Granny driver aint I!

Take it easy , dont want you rapped round a tree like many before.

You should go on the Scot Beeland school of motoring course  :D

Phil

Ps If you ever need paint for her its Chevrolet  Apple Red