Adjusting camber & toe.

blakeya

OK,

I setup camber & toe lastnight. Set toe parallel & camber to -1.5

Also found a place very close to where i live that has the very same machine that Matt has & have booked in for monday morning to get my settings double checked.  Maybe mad but need piece of mind that i have done everythign correctly.

Opinions wanted as to whether the settings i have made will be fine for the road & odd track day?? Going to Brands Hatch next wednesday & want all to be well!!

Opinions please

regards

Andy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nikpro

• Matt Seabrook

• Al Yupright

• Blatman

Those settings sound good. I would cancel your booking and save your money for the time being. See how the car feels to drive first and adjust again until you are happy. Once you are happy, get the car measured on the machine so that you can record the settings for future reference.

John

Right; here goes for a dense question -

I set my car up using the centerline method with a piece of string down each side and have gone from toe in at the front to toe out and the car handles better for me.

I have 15 inch rims and the toe is set to 2mm out on each wheel (overall 4mm toe out) - What does this equate to in degrees & Minutes and how do you work it out?

Thanks.

I set my car up using the centerline method with a piece of string down each side

How is it set up to the center line when you have use string on each side is this not set to each side to side not center line to wheel

I set my car up using the centerline method with a piece of string down each side

How is it set up to the center line when you have use string on each side is this not set to each side to side not center line to wheel

I found the centreline of the car then measured an equal distance out at the front and back and ran a piece of string down each side.

I found the centreline of the car then measured an equal distance out at the front and back and ran a piece of string down each side.

What did you use for the datum points for projecting the center line

I have 15 inch rims and the toe is set to 2mm out on each wheel (overall 4mm toe out) - What does this equate to in degrees & Minutes and how do you work it out?

Use a formula such as

Adjacent=Hypotenuse*Cos(angle).

Opposite=Adjacent*Tan(angle).

Opposite=Hypotenuse*Sin(angle).

Have you got kids doing GCSEs?  :D

Use a formula such as

Adjacent=Hypotenuse*Cos(angle).

Opposite=Adjacent*Tan(angle).

Opposite=Hypotenuse*Sin(angle).

Have you got kids doing GCSEs?  :D

Sorry Al;

got no kids and the formulas are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard to me as I have no scientific calc or tables

I don't know what angle I should be reading is it the overall angle from the rear of the rims to the front?

Is my toe measurement:

2 x inv. tan 2mm/15 inches?

Not saying that you are one of them but....

It does wind me up when people say what use would I have for maths in the real world  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

Why not take the time to look up trig on the web and teach yourself ? That way you will be able to solve the problem at hand and have a warm fuzzy feeling that you have learnt something today  :t-up:

Bazzer

Edited to add you will find trig tables on the web too !!!

Is my toe measurement:

2 x inv. tan 2mm/15 inches?

Was the 2mm measured at the rim or the tyre?

If rim, then

inv. sin 2mm/(15*25.4)

In degrees.... One minute is 1/60th of a degree.

If you're using a windows pc, it has a scientific calculator on it.

It does wind me up when people say what use would I have for maths in the real world  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

Why not take the time to look up trig on the web and teach yourself ? That way you will be able to solve the problem at hand and have a warm fuzzy feeling that you have learnt something today  :t-up:

Bazzer

Bazzer,

it's not the maths that's the problem it's where the angle is measured from and whether it was the angle given by both wheels or just one side.

Bazzer

Bazzer,

it's not the maths that's the problem it's where the angle is measured from and whether it was the angle given by both wheels or just one side.

Don't want to labour the fact but if you understand what the maths means then that would be perfectly clear.

Best way is to draw it and put the measurements on the drawing. Then you can see where the triangles are and where to apply the maths.

I not trying to be funny, but if you work it out you won't have any problems if you change wheel size etc.

Probably worth measuring the actual distance between your 2 reference points to make sure they really are 15" apart.

Cheers

Bazzer

and have a warm fuzzy feeling that you have learnt something

I have that when I've drunk something :oops:

And for what it's worth, if you've got Windows (XP at least), you've got a scientific calculator.

Just run the regular calculator app (Programs/accessories/calculator) and on the view menu select "scientific"