Lamba on Zetec

MAT1800

SUCCESS !!!  :t-up:  :t-up:

The TB conversion has moved along another step.  :)

I've got the engine running, after replacing the throttle cablle, I used the old cable with the new plastic sleve, this gave me enough lentgh to set the TPS with the butterflies fully closed.

The car now runs, however it sound pretty bad, hard to describe in text, but it doesn't sound right to me. Also as I'm running the enigne still, I can see that the exhaust is kicking out a lot of black stuff, which is leaving a lot of black deposites on the wall near the exhaust.

I wondered if this was because of the Lamba?

The instructions from WF say to connect the 4 wires in the following way.

SENSOR      LOOM

White   -   Black

White   -   Yellow/green

Grey   -    Black

Black   -   Green/brown

However my sensor has black, black, white and Blue wires....

:(

So any ideas which way to connect this?

:D  :D

Mat.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MAT1800

• Gavin

• Flappa

• KerryS

Top Posters In This Topic

Flappa and I went through this a couple of weeks ago, let me look for the link......

found it

....this has stuff in about lambda colours. Now I think Blatters said it's not too important if we are not running closed loo, but TBH I haven't a clue if we are or not. The 967 can do it according to MBE spec sheet.

It'll all be worth it in the end, just been blatting round Derbyshire lanes this morningn for an hour, took real care over corners as everywhere a bit greasy, then gave it some welly coming off a roundabout on A38 and woooohhh all over the place :p  fun tho'

Kerry

Matt

As Kerry mentioned the lamba doesnt really have an effect on the running, personally i think it is the map that is at fault. Mine was putting black marks on the the wall too :angry: and was really rough. Took it to Noble motorsport and they said the original map was *interesting*, now it is silky smooth but he commented on the fact the lamba is not in use for nomal running just when being mapped.

It is a completely different car now it has been on the rolling road :)

Jack

Hello,

Dan, thanks for the idea, but AFAIK they are the same map, Kerry was kind enough to let WF use his car to develop the map and kit for ours...

I've re-done the lamba, thanks to Kerry and Flappa.

This however hasn't solved it. I took the spark plugs out just to see if there was anything obvious, because it almost sounded like it wasn't firing on all, but these all look the same. Although they are completely black and greasy.

After having it running a few times, I tried again, just now to run it, and it backfired again with wisps of smoke coming out of the 2 TB's closest to the bulkhead??

I am begining to feel as though I've been beaten by this one. I'll send Mark at WF an Email tommorow and see what he suggests, but at the mo I'm stumped. I'm thinking I'll have to take it somewhere to get it looked at, but with no trailer, or even a tow bar, it's going to be expensive before I even get there....

I expect this is something unique to my car or Kit, perhpas, as others with the WF upgrade have after some tinkering got them running, yet so far mine seems to be a stubborn b*******!!!

ARRGGHHHHH!! I need a drink...!

Can't even put it back to how it was and go for a quick blast to relive the stress... :D:D

Cheers for the Info Jack,

do Noble Collect? :D:D:D

:arse:  :down:  :down:  :down:

Going to get some liquid refreshments, hope you're all having a better weekend.

:t-up:

Black smoke is Rich mixture.

Be wary of running the engine for too long like this, if it's bad it won't do your bores much good  :down:

Be interesting to see the readings from a 4 gas analyser or wideband (off bill )

Think there's something about the wiring on the Llambda sensor in the archives   ???

Noble dont collect i dont think unfortuanately.

I was able to drive mine and went down last week needless to say it p***ed it down all the way :angry:  wasnt much fun, but worthwhile. Took them all morning and was just over £300 but it is excellent. Aparently the original map was overfueling so much it thay couldnt believe it passed SVA.

Can post up the power graph if your interested for a comparison with Kerry's.

I find copious amounts of Stella always makes thing look better :0:0

cheers

Jack

Jack

Are you one of the Madness throttle body bulk buyers?

I find it useful what you have said about Nobles as they're not too far from me. I haven't contacted them yet but I did wonder how much they would know about the MBE ECU and whether I needed my own s/w to speak to it.

As it is now, ex-Westfield, it's smooth enough but the wiggle in the torque/power curve puzzles me and the engine fluffs when the throttle is blipped, making heel-and-toe down changes slow. Although on a personal reg plate, it was eligible for an 05 plate so need to meet requisite emissions for MOT - or run 2 maps.

We are away in Chesterfield next weekend so perhaps I'll go and find them after we have looked at kitchen worktops for SWMBO  :p  :p

Kerry

Ahhhhh... Thats better, some light refreshment works wonders :D:D

I agree, it does seem to be over fueling, rather a lot!

Not sure I could drive it anywhere though? I don't mind it stalling a few times, but it might do more harm. :(

I do have access to a 7.5T box van, which if I made some ramps, again plenty of materials, I could get the car onto that. The problems with this are, when the van is avaliable, getting the car to the van or vise versa, 'cos I wouldn't get the van down my road also pushing the car along the road is relatively simple, getting it up a ramp could be the bit tricky.. :D:D

I'll think about that one over the next few days....

Jak, we might be able to negotiate a better deal if we were to get a few of us in on the same day??

I'm sure kerry would like to ask them.. :D:p:p:D:D

If I can see them, I'ask, though if it's a half day exercise, two on one day?

Flappa's gone quiet - how's it going for you?

Kerry

John

Thought about coming to see you today but 40 miles round Derbyshire lanes seemed more fun than a blast up the A38 to negotiate roadworks at J28 :down:

Kerry

Rub it in kerry! :D:D:D:D

I might give them a ring myself over next week, I'll post it up if I do. You're not after marble are you? think of the upgrades you could get for that. :D  :D

I'm so glad you're enjoying the TB's, I'm not jealous at all. honest. :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :D  :D  :D  

Did you ever have a go at the easymap yourself Kerry?

Hi Guys, yes I'm still here Kerry :D

Perhaps Jack T could share his map ???

MAT remember that it will run rich until the warm up cycle has completed (3-4mins?).

Have you tried to balance the cylinders with the synchrometer?

Mine wouldn't run until I got the ports to shut. Try to get a small amount of slack in the cable.

Have you checked the TPS voltage, and that it goes up with more throttle?