• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oioi

• Matt Seabrook

• Mark B

• a4gom

Apart from at Capesthorne when it rained eh dave   :p  :D  :D

I've driven it in the rain a few times since then, long as you're moving (and wearing a lid) it's not a problem  :D

Seriously though, for those "Capesthorne" moments when you're parked up, a decent tonneau cover would prevent those fish tank moments!

If you're thinking of having one made dave, martrim (near me in middlewich) made a nice one for andy webster, well made & with half doors.  :t-up:

Was quite amusing at capesthorne watching the aeroscreen boys dissappear as the big black cloud loomed over, It's moments like that when I'm extremely glad I have a roof!

I do quite like the raw "feel" of an aeroscreen, just not keen on the lack of practicality that they give. When me & the missus were out a couple of months ago, we were travelling down a lane & there was a smallish branch hanging right down at westy windscreen level, I didn't see it untill the last minute & hit it doing about 40mph, it went with a bang and I expected it to crack the windscreen, fortunately it didn't, but if I had an aeroscreen one/both of us would've been in a&e...

When me & the missus were out a couple of months ago, we were travelling down a lane & there was a smallish branch hanging right down at westy windscreen level, I didn't see it untill the last minute & hit it doing about 40mph, it went with a bang and I expected it to crack the windscreen, fortunately it didn't, but if I had an aeroscreen one/both of us would've been in a&e...

Fair point, for anything other than "round town", "nipping to the shops" type trips I use a helmet, much safer, comfy and I don't find it reduces the "aeroscreen feel" that much, it's just different. Must admit though, needing a lid isn't that SWMBO friendly, though did see a few couples at Capesthorne with matching helmets.  :oops:

Having had a stone the size of a ping pong ball come flying into the windscreen making a godalmighty bang, I dread what would have happened to my face if I only had an aeroscreen.

Two options

a) Windscreen

b) Aeroscreen AND helmet

You may have never had a stone hit you, but it only takes the once!

So I believe, I'm hoping to have a look at the one they've done for Andy, hopefully at the next meet.

Unfortunately Andy won't be joining us for a while as he's working away for the next few months.

:D True enough, I think most of them were nesh, but then again I stayed. By the way thanks for lending me the chamois to bail out the boot box, had about an inch and a half of water sloshing about in the bottom!

No worries, you were the only aero chappie brave enough (or is it daft?  :D  to stay! )

Must admit though, needing a lid isn't that SWMBO friendly, though did see a few couples at Capesthorne with matching helmets.  :oops:

Can't see my missus going for matching "lids" somehow  :oops:  :D

Peltor do some extremely good solutions for this problem, means you can still converse with the passenger at 140 which can be useful ;)

At a cost!  :p

Windscreen kit from Westfield - £299.25, how much are side screens and can you actually hear your passenger over about 70mph?

Peltor intercom system amp - £138, headset £72 x 2, £330 including vat... and that's from demon tweeks  :p

(not strictly fair, you still need mirrors and potentially an aero screen, then again, no heater or wipers...)

You can get much cheaper than peltor of course, but you get what you pay for.

I got hit in the forehead by (thankfully) a very small stone which seemed to have found an unusual projectile from the rear tyre of a car I was following (I watched, with interest as it approached). It really hurt, left a bruise on my head and I actually understood for the first what the expression seeing stars means!!!

You've guessed it, that was with the proper screen.

Having had a stone the size of a ping pong ball come flying into the windscreen making a godalmighty bang, I dread what would have happened to my face if I only had an aeroscreen.

Hmm. As pointed out earlier, it is wrong to assume that the windscreen is offering any real protection - dont forget that stones such as this can come at you from the side too. I have seen someone recive a bad cut on the ear from a stone 'flicked up' from a passing truck. As most 'aeroscreeners' probably have helmets on for the majority of journeys, they probably have more protection than the driver with *just* a windscreen...

No worries, you were the only aero chappie brave enough (or is it daft?    to stay! )

Ahem! I was equally as daft... :D

I tend to wear a helmet even with a windscreen.

This is what happened to my windscreen after a pigeon hit it at 70 mph, just kinda glad it wasn't my head even with a helmet.

4176.jpeg

Thought about an aeroscreen but I've got no garage so weather gear goes on to keep the inside dry, aswell as me.

No worries, you were the only aero chappie brave enough (or is it daft?    to stay! )

Ahem! I was equally as daft... :D

Sorry Stu, forgot about you too!

The pic that Crash has posted further re-inforces my view on windscreen vs aero!

Cheers,

Mark.

I tend to wear a helmet even with a windscreen.

This is what happened to my windscreen after a pigeon hit it at 70 mph, just kinda glad it wasn't my head even with a helmet.

4176.jpeg

Thought about an aeroscreen but I've got no garage so weather gear goes on to keep the inside dry, aswell as me.

Jesus without a screen it could have broken a passengers neck. Nope still stand by what I have said screen for road and aeroscreen for track. The other thing I always feel like a right knob driving my sprint car on the road with a lid on. You get the looks from other road uses that you think you are Michael Schumacher and you dont have to be driving fast to get those looks. I can’t believe that people bang on relentlessly about RAC roll bars when for most they are still too low. Then the same people go and remove there windscreen may be the only thing that stops impact from the front. That said even with a screen I still wear safety glasses with a screen, as it is not the complete answer.  :(

The other thing I always feel like a right knob driving my sprint car on the road with a lid on. You get the looks from other road uses that you think you are Michael Schumacher and you dont have to be driving fast to get those looks.

I thought I might feel like this when I switched to an aeroscreen, but in 2 years of aero use, always with a helmet, nobody has ever given me a look that is either disapproving or p***-taking.  I think most people see the sense of it when they realise there is no screen on your car.