Aeroscreen vs Windscreen

thos

i was following in an aero car when my mate hit a pheasant

pheasant_blat001.sized.jpg

he has now gone aero rather than replace the windscreen.  i have had a bird hit the upright of the roll bar at a 100mph where my head was before i ducked :0:0 i know cos it left a mess (including strangely the beak ??? ).  i wasnt wearing a crash helmet.  im comftorble with this arrangement.  as pistonbroke says stay in bed if you dont like risk.

i find all this concern for other peoples safety a bit wearing.  we can guess the risk involved and depending on our acceptance of the risk we can make the decision as we see fit.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oioi

• Matt Seabrook

• Mark B

• a4gom

i was following in an aero car when my mate hit a pheasant

pheasant_blat001.sized.jpg

he has now gone aero rather than replace the windscreen.  i have had a bird hit the upright of the roll bar at a 100mph where my head was before i ducked :0:0 i know cos it left a mess (including strangely the beak ??? ).  i wasnt wearing a crash helmet.  im comftorble with this arrangement.  as pistonbroke says stay in bed if you dont like risk.

i find all this concern for other peoples safety a bit wearing.  we can guess the risk involved and depending on our acceptance of the risk we can make the decision as we see fit.

mouth - words = took

Can't believe the damage pigeon's etc have done to windscreens on here at realatively low speeds, I took one on the shoulder / chest while riding my bike, off the clock, along the road passed the entrace to Harewood. Twas very early one morning nothing else on the road, I saw it enter my tunnel vision and luckily had time to move my head but it totally exploaded, when I got to my destination I was absolutly covered in blood guts and feathers but no damage to me, I ached a bit but no bruising, leathers must have stopped that?

:devil:  :durr:

who said anything about going slowly?  i guess the impact on the cateringvan was about 70ish

I did, 70ish seems slow to me

:blush:

A long time ago when riding a bike I was hit in the face at 80mph by a bumble bee, it caught me on the bridge of my nose and was enough to split the skin and temporaly blind me. Luckily it was a straight road with no traffic and I stopped without hitting anything (still blind....).

Given that experience I can safely say that anything bigger than a pea could be serious. However, as others have said, if you are that worried about risk then I would recommend a volvo... :p

I agree with Matt's comment:

I can’t believe that people bang on relentlessly about RAC roll bars when for most they are still too low. Then the same people go and remove there windscreen may be the only thing that stops impact from the front

Does appear strange but this:

That said even with a screen I still wear safety glasses with a screen, as it is not the complete answer

no thanks, life is too short!

on the other hand, I wear glasses rather than contact lenses because a) I can't be arsed with the hassle and b) my glasses have saved my eyesight on a few occasions I have done something stupid  :durr:

who said anything about going slowly?  i guess the impact on the cateringvan was about 70ish

:blush:

the impact may have been at 70, when the pheasant was spotted the speed may (or may not) have been greater

:devil:  :oops:

<!--emo&<!--emo&:blush:

the impact may have been at 70, when the pheasant was spotted the speed may (or may not) have been greater

:devil:  :oops:

Just come back from the pub so will drop it there before it gets out of hand (on my part).

How fast was the chicken going?

laugh.gif

A long time ago when riding a bike I was hit in the face at 80mph by a bumble bee...

...you must've been pedalling like f**k!

Jesus without a screen it could have broken a passengers neck. Nope still stand by what I have said screen for road and aeroscreen for track. The other thing I always feel like a right knob driving my sprint car on the road with a lid on. You get the looks from other road uses that you think you are Michael Schumacher and you dont have to be driving fast to get those looks. I can’t believe that people bang on relentlessly about RAC roll bars when for most they are still too low. Then the same people go and remove there windscreen may be the only thing that stops impact from the front. That said even with a screen I still wear safety glasses with a screen, as it is not the complete answer.  :(

So how do folk manage on motorbikes then? It is only because the screen is hard/brittle that that kind of damage is done. Motorcyclists seem to manage OK...

Also, not sure about the looks thing about wearing a helmet either - as Ian says, I don't really notice any difference whether I wear a helmet or not; people are still walking into lamposts etc trying to grab a glance! :D

And what makes you think that you wont hit a bird while you are sprinting? :p

its easy to swap glasses to crash helmet without stopping.  

And that's not dangerous in any shape or form is it you muppet :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :suspect:

And that's not dangerous in any shape or form is it you muppet <!--emo&:bangshead:  :bangshead:  :suspect:

of course its f***** dangerous it wouldnt be fun if it wasnt  :D just means the rain doesnt hurt my pretty face

And that's not dangerous in any shape or form is it you muppet <!--emo&:bangshead:  :bangshead:  :suspect:

of course its f***** dangerous it wouldnt be fun if it wasnt  :D just means the rain doesnt hurt my pretty face

Not fun if you run into me coming the other way while you're acting the knob though is it./

Now don't get me wrong; I'm not the most sensible person the world has ever seen (Maybe that's why I'm an honorary member of the Manc/Yorkie crew :cool:  :0 ) but changing lid to shades whilst driving is just fookin stoopid

whilst driving have you -

ever changed a tape or cd?

tuned in the radio?

ever picked up the phone?

ever read a map?

ever p******** in a bottle?

ever been given a blow job (not even a hand job  :suspect: )?

had a conversation with a person in the back?

dropped a spliff onto your exposed knackers?

had an argument with your gf/wife/significant other?

looked too long at a sexy bird?

tried (and failed) to have sex?

picked a can of pop out of the passenger footwell?

turned off all the lights cos it more trippy that way?

worked on the car all night and then driven for four hours cos you NEEDED to be there?

had a really heavy night boozing and then got up at 6am to go to work?

ive done all of the above and tbh would do them all again :D