Just ordered a Westfield Starter Kit

Chasmon

OK, so now I'm really confused...

It seems there is qiute a divide between the Vauxall and the Ford based owners. I think Duratec sounds good but I can't believe its not an expensive option plus then you need the dreaded CAT. I have ordered an SEi kit which suits all the recommended engine types bar the motorbike engine...

I think coming along to the meet outside Cheltenham will be a big help. But for now I think owners of each type giving me some idea of what there set up is and the minimum I need to get a 150-170 horses or so up and running would be ideal.

Charlie :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chasmon

• stu999

• neilwillis

• Blatman

A bog standard Zetec or Vx with a pair of 45 Webers will give you the power you want, with the Vx being more powerful in a like for like state of tune than the Vx. Get a pre 1995 engine and you won't need a CAT on either. Both engines are well supported and will definitely be a lot cheaper than a Duratec which, whilst an excellent engine, represents poor value for money (bang for buck) at the moment.

Vx being more powerful in a like for like state of tune than the Vx.

You mean Vx over Zetec?  ???

By the way what sort of mpg would you expect with a vx/zetec with this carbs setup?

Yes, I suspect so. Fingers engaged before brain full up to speed I imagine :)

Andy

By the way what sort of mpg would you expect with a vx/zetec with this carbs setup?

???  

Depends How you drive it,

my 2 litre zetec on Twin 45's, 20-25 around town and Maybe 30 ish on a Run, Depends How much Fun you want to Have...

MPG isn't really a problem unless you want to use it every day and travel a fair distance to work  ???

I already get through 12 gallons a week in my mundano travelling to and from work and around the place - all country roads :D . I would ideally like to use the car as much as possible and intend to do some touring so 45s seem really inefficient. Whats wrong with the stock setup and maybe ECU changes? ???

Duratec which, whilst an excellent engine, represents poor value for money (bang for buck) at the moment.

all in the eye of the beholder

I already get through 12 gallons a week in my mundano travelling to and from work and around the place - all country roads :D . I would ideally like to use the car as much as possible and intend to do some touring so 45s seem really inefficient. Whats wrong with the stock setup and maybe ECU changes? ???

45's don't *have* to be thirsty. Trouble is, the sound is awesome when the throttle is opened. So you keep opening the throttle at every available opportunity - and byebye fuel...  :D

The standard 'stock' setup will not fit in a (RHD) VX powered Westy. I believe there is a stock setup that can be used with a Zetec. However, you are to some extent making things more difficult for yourself, with the added disappointment of not as much power as 45's/TB's. OK, so it might be better on fuel. But *if* fuel is a concern, is a Westfield really the car you are looking for?

HTH Stu. :t-up:

Hmmmm I take your point. I just hate spending nearly £200 on petrol every month as it is.

We're not talking major power here either, just seems a shame theres not a more powerfull stock alternative. A turbo would seem a reasonable idea. Though I'm guessing it would need to be something with a low boost to avoid unpredictable oversteer  :oops:

Westfields are about Smiles per Mile, Not Miles per Gallon  :)

If MPG is an Issue, But you still want a Westy, You might want to look at a Mapped Throttle Body set-up   ???

We're not talking major power here either, just seems a shame theres not a more powerfull stock alternative.

What about a honda V-Tec out of a S2000 loads of power on a stock injection system the good fuel economy if being driven sedately 6spd gearbox if I was going for a lowly 4 pot it would be my engine of choice.

You could always bit the bullet and build a seight my last one got me 30mpg+ on a run!

Barry :)

We're not talking major power here either, just seems a shame theres not a more powerfull stock alternative.

What about a honda V-Tec out of a S2000 loads of power on a stock injection system the good fuel economy if being driven sedately 6spd gearbox if I was going for a lowly 4 pot it would be my engine of choice.

You could always bit the bullet and build a seight my last one got me 30mpg+ on a run!

Barry :)

Not exactly the simplest of build for a first time builder though !!!

Bazzer

Yes, I suspect so. Fingers engaged before brain full up to speed I imagine :)

Andy

:down:

Out of interest would a s2000 engine and gearbox fit? I know someone who is selling one for £2000 complete... Low milage too.

I guess that would be getting myself in deep from the beginning. I wouldn't say I am experienced in this sort of thing but I am a mechanical engineer and friends have built cars from scratch ie chassis upwards.

The S2000 will fit in an SEiW chassis, but you will almost certainly have to consider a dry sump as the S2000 is quite tall. You may also have problems finding a gearbox to match as the S2000 6 speeder is quite a lump. Hanging a type 9 off the back will need a bellhousing making up, and some serious mods to the 'box itself 'cos the S2000's rev range will kill it...