Just ordered a Westfield Starter Kit

Chasmon

I have a VX installation and very happy I went that route, BUT I agree with Neil, if you are on a budget, I would go for a Zetec or Duratec installation if you can.

Duratec on a Budget  ???

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chasmon

• stu999

• neilwillis

• Blatman

Early Vauxhalls are getting difficult to get,with the chance of just 'bolting it in and run'.The Zetec I think would be a better bet,for the simple reason of being able to pick up an engine low mileage for £250.The conversion to RWD is a bit pricey for both.Why not go the SDV route.You could pick up a sierra for nowt.Spend a few quid on recon parts and you could be on the road quite reasonably.

The VX is also an excellent engine, but given the choice between that, and the Duratec, there is no contest as to which will give more bang for the buck.

You are a devil Mr Willis... :D

As far as budgets go, a VX Westfield *could* be on the road for just as little money as a Zetec...

Most Zetec engines are of the same/similar age bracket as the VX. Trying to find either unit without intergalactic mileage is gonna be a struggle. But happily, both engines will still perform well, even with high mileages on board...

If on a budget,as we all our in this life,building a car is an expensive thing to get it 'near/totally right' My Black Top Zetec with 3k miles on the clock came form a Ford breaker for £300.I know it's not a pre-cat engine,but getting a low cost car on a new plate is expensive,so a 'Q' plate is sensible or as I said an SDV.Mr Ford was nice with the Zetec,as this was the last of the 'you dont need to spend unnecessary money on bellhousings like the Duratec or Vaux.Also,an engine like that just bolts straight in and apart from ARP bolts is internally standard.

If on a budget,as we all our in this life,building a car is an expensive thing to get it 'near/totally right' My Black Top Zetec with 3k miles on the clock came form a Ford breaker for £300.I know it's not a pre-cat engine,but getting a low cost car on a new plate is expensive,so a 'Q' plate is sensible or as I said an SDV.Mr Ford was nice with the Zetec,as this was the last of the 'you dont need to spend unnecessary money on bellhousings like the Duratec or Vaux.Also,an engine like that just bolts straight in and apart from ARP bolts is internally standard.

What you *may* save on not buying a bellhousing, soon starts whittling away when all the other little bits and pieces need to be purchased. It might fit the bellhousing, but there is still a lot of stuff to buy (according to age/cc) that doesnt have to be bought for a VX - and visa-versa. There will be nothing in it if going for a budget installation.

I can do a search, and find the various lists posted on what is required to install a Zetec if required... :D

I am merely trying to straighten the slight misconception that a VX *is* more expensive to install when compared to a Zetec, like for like (or rather, age for age...). It isn't.

But equally, both engines are stonking performers (am I really saying this  :p ), and do their job well in a Westfield - as well as both being very well supported if thinking of future upgrades.

But equally, both engines are stonking performers (am I really saying this  :p )

:0  Red Wine Mate  ???   :D  :t-up:

:0 Funnily enough... :D

I didn't do a good job sourcing cheap bits when I made the choice of VX v Zetec then.  

:(

You do have to admit though, if you could pick either Zetec, VX or Duratec, the Duratec has to be THE choice at the moment.

You do have to admit though, if you could pick either Zetec, VX or Duratec, the Duratec has to be THE choice at the moment.

*must not bite*

:p  :p  :p

Stu, I'm disappointed  :devil:

If you had a Duratec in the blue beastie, you might get it to go forwards instead of sideways round corners too  :p  :p  :p

:sheep:  :sheep:  :sheep:

Neil, I'm disappointed  :devil:

And I had you down to be the next Zetec-to-VX convert, now the sprinting bug is biting, and you want to go faster... :D

:p

I have 170 horses under the bonnet now Stu, give me chance to get used to them for a while first!

I must admit though, I'm tempted - to rob a couple of banks to replenish the upgrade fund :p

I have 170 horses under the bonnet now Stu, give me chance to get used to them for a while first!

You too now have the power to go sideways... :D just :devil:  :p

I must admit though, I'm tempted - to rob a couple of banks to replenish the upgrade fund

;)  :t-up:  :down: Know where you are coming from there...