• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Birthday Blat. 27/03/05

chazpowerslide

I'm going to die in a big ball of fire in a fenland ditch arent I :p

S'alright Hugh, they usually have water in the bottom. Scrub the extiguisher, carry water wings. Anyway, at the rate the convoy travels you would probably fly the ditch and go ploughing  :oops:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chazpowerslide

• markcoopers

• ChrisF

• CrashBangWallop

Runs out of puff you say....huum we'll have to fix that. Got a feeling NMS can raise the rev limit with the new chip, and I have a second secret weapon up my sleave ;)

The uprated pads seam better, but to be honest pumping up the tyres on Monday helped the most :blush:

Martin, mine developed a bit of a miss/bang, by the time I got home, but dried it out/cleaned it and fine now  ???  no ideas.

MOT this weekend, anyone now the rules on speedos? mines a bit suspect?

mine developed a bit of a miss/bang, by the time I got home, but dried it out/cleaned it and fine now  ???  no ideas.

Interesting, my other idea was water ingress into something. But, it had stopped raining sometime early, so I discounted that... may have been right after all.

I have to say it felt like a GP with Liam on my tail :p

I'm not sure which was more distracting though... the orange aeroscreen or Chris's 'Hand signals'

:D

Felt really good being in the convoy for the first time and although the pace was 'brisk' it was certainly enjoyable and the car seemed to handle it alright.

Cheers again guys,

Mark B

I might as well keep the thread going and change the subject :D

Had a friend around tonight to look at the car and prospective plumbing.  His opinion was...

1.  The turbo has to be bolted on upside-down (I knew this). However, to get the oil flowing in the correct direction the centre part will have to be rotated through 180 degrees.

2.  The turbo oil return is now lower than the oil return to the block.  Therefore, I have to put an oil return into the sump and block up the old return in the block.  Can I take the sump off without removing te engine?  Pleeeaaaaaaase, say it's so.

3.  I need to get the cross-over pipe to point in the opposite direction.  This will require re-welding the pipe running to the front of the car.  Not a 'have to do' but, it'll make the plumbing easier. Not necessarily cheaper as, it'll cost me to have it re-welded.  Anyone know somewhere in Cambridge that'll do it?  Mackays is my best bet, I think.

4.  The starter motor is VERY close to the turbo.  It'll definitely need shielding.

5. The exhaust is close to the wiring.  Either move the wiring away from the exhaust or heat-shield the lot.

Hmmmm..  Ready for Stoneleigh?  I'm thinking... "NOT," again :(

Neil

I need to get the cross-over pipe
 I'm being dense, so what exactly is the crossover pipe?

Hmmmm..  Ready for Stoneleigh?  I'm thinking... "NOT," again :(

Me too :down:

Have you thought about what I said about watercooling the turbo?  Otherwise I can't see a problem with most of those points

The water-cooling isn't a problem and can be added very easily with a couple of t-pieces (so I was told).

The cross-over is the air intake that goes over my rocker cover.  It points to the back of the car at the moment.

I'd like to get it done on the weekend, if possible.  I suppose I better get on with the fuel side of things in the mean-time.

he cross-over is the air intake that goes over my rocker cover.

Ahh, ok I know what you mean.  Where are you mounting the intercooler?  The cossie runs its air up one side of the engine, through the intercooler and back down the other side to the throttle.  I would have thought you could get away with the same arrangement.  Difficult to tell without looking though :D

Nope. The air intake on a RS is just above the turbo. Meaning that it has to return to the same side.  FRST - is front wheel drive and mounted transversly (you took it out :D)

pinched pic link

Note the cross-over heading right (to the back of my car).

Weeeeeeee!!!!!!  Fun, fun, fun :(

Must remember that not all cars are laid out in exactly the same way as my cossie :down:

Er, so yeah I think you'll have to get it re-welded :p

Neil, getting the sump off with the engin in the the car is easy. Getting the sump back on agin if fu**ing difficult.

The gasket is the issue, getting a  good seal. Chris did his and got it done well, I did mine and failed twice due to over tightening the sump bolts. This splits the gaskets and p******** oil out everywhere. :down:

Mark

Rubber gaskets or cork?  I've got a rubber one.  Does that split easily or just squish and stretch?