Please Help

MAT1800

Mat

In addition to the help/hinderance/p*** taking here, have you not talked to Mark Walker at the factory. He's very helpful and sent me some photos of the replacement transducers that flappa has mentioned.

I hope that you've not got the body on yet as access after that is difficult owing to the size of the plastic plenum/inlet manifold.

You can also get another wiring diagram from Mark for the ECU loom, but flappa and I have described where they go on another thread here.

Kerry S

Cheers Kerry,

I don't doubt that Mark is a very helpfull and knowledgeable guy, infact I'll be ringing westfield tommorow to ask some questions and order some bits, It's more my lack of knowledge that makes me think that trying to explain and sort out (what appears to me) to be rather complicated wiring queries, would be a bit tricky on the phone. It's also having someone with a bit more knowledge than me (admittedly not that difficult) giving it the once over, before I try (eventually) starting it up, as I'd hate to blow it up after the amount of sweat and blood that's gone into it.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MAT1800

• geofff

• Flappa

• KerryS

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mat,

The brackets are part of the SVA kit - don't kow what module that is - but it's just a bit of ali with holes in for bolts and wires. Easy fit for later on. No probs.

Ta

Geoff

:)

I fitted oil warning light to the the orginal switch and used the other hole to fit oil pressure sender, the oil light reacts alot faster than gauge and is line of sight.

3227.jpeg

3226.jpeg

:D

Hi ciscobay,

Phew - nice to know someone else has done the same thing!

Is that the WF loom or your own? Just I notice you're using crimped ends (which I have mostly) and wondered if you'd had any problems?

Ta

Geoff

:)

Thanks all...

I will Join the club, in fact I'll do it after this post, and check when the next meet is.

The next meet is on Wednesday in Chadderton  :D

Only 20 minutes from Cheadle on the M60  :t-up:

come along and meet the guys, and we may have a group outing round to yours (if we like you)  ;)  with all our collective knowledge we'll soon have you on the road  :cool:

See the local area meets section for directions, a few guys come from Stockport/south Manchester so you wont be the only 'southerner'  :D

I've just read the whole thread :)

All you guys in the Manchester area would be a lot further on with your builds if you had come along to our meetings ages ago, we dont bite, but we do like to help the local Westfield community get on the road :D  Just think about it, summers on its way :cool:

Hi Geoff

the oil pressure sender is connected to the W/F loom, the switch is separate wire to light had no trouble with connecters don't like them though used ones from CBS else where, prefer them. :)

a group outing round to yours

or more realistically " a group p*** take".

But seriously, as Paul said, drop in to the meeting on wednesday and say hello, theres plenty of people willing to help.

:D  :t-up:

The brackets are part of the SVA kit - don't kow what module that is - but it's just a bit of ali with holes in for bolts and wires. Easy fit for later on. No probs.

These should be in a poly bag with a load of covers for nuts, edging strip and the headlamp bracket shrouds - it's a very boring bag :(

If you want mine, you're welcome as I have fitted the round lights rather than the standard rectangular ones.

PM me if you want them.

Kerry S

Hello,

Paul and Gromit: Thanks for the invite, I'll be there, What time approx? Hope that I won't be the only 'newbie' there...(hint Hint)

I was going to join the club when I got the kit but it seemed a bit pointless when it was sat in the garage in bits.

I now see how wrong I was, cheers. I now realise how usefull it would have been. :bangshead:

My membership form is on its way..Hope anyone else building at the moment sees how much help and advise has been forthcoming, and follows suit.  

Kerry: thanks for the offer, I'm going to ring westfiled later about a few bits and pieces so I should be sorted, but if not I'll be intouch. :)  On a slightly different point, do you know what the larger black plastic bit is, It appears, from the bag to be a rover part, about 150mm long 100mm wide, with a semi cylindrical shape to most of it.

do you know what the larger black plastic bit is, It appears, from the bag to be a rover part, about 150mm long 100mm wide, with a semi cylindrical shape to most of it.

That is the cover for the windscreen wiper motor.

Dan

The large black plastic bulgy thing that comes in a rover bag is a cover for the windscreen wiper motor (again for SVA purposes). If you're building a Madness kit you shouldn't need to fit it as the aluminium plate which mounts the ECU covers the space on the passenger side and is in front of the wiper motor (i.e. for SVA the flat aluminium plate is what the passenger's legs would hit, not the wiper motor).

The large black plastic bulgy thing that comes in a rover bag is a cover for the windscreen wiper motor (again for SVA purposes). If you're building a Madness kit you shouldn't need to fit it as the aluminium plate which mounts the ECU covers the space on the passenger side and is in front of the wiper motor (i.e. for SVA the flat aluminium plate is what the passenger's legs would hit, not the wiper motor).

I thought the ECU was fitted on the engine side of the scuttle. ?? Basically on the opposite side of the fibreglass to the wiper motor...

Although it does mention the hinged plate etc, in the manual, when I couldn't find it, whilst browsing some build site (sorry can't remember which one) They had fitted the ECU there as it was apparently given the OK, by Westfiled, so I was going to do the same.

As with everything else there's choices. Doesn't matter which side you fit the ECU as the wiring is long enough for either side. I followed the factory's advice, which was to fit it on a hinged aluminium plate on the passenger side.

Pro - can easily swing it down to get access to the ECU if you need to take it out;

Con - gets in the way of the passenger footwell heater vent.

Cheers,

Rich

Regarding the need to protect the passenger for the SVA (they should just think themsleves lucky :D  ) and to keep wiper motors etc out of the way, I've read that some people have fitted an interior body panel underneath the dash, to cover away everything.. Has any one else either had to do this or would recomend doing so?