Please Help

MAT1800

Hello,

This is my first post, and yes it's a request for help, so I appologise for that. The problem is.... Two years ago I purchased a 'summer madness' westfiled 1800 zetec Kit. I had no mechanical training or experience, but relished the challange, I also realised that maintaining a westfield (without bottomless pockets) could only be achieved if I learnt. So with thoughts of the thrill of driving a car I'd built round a track overpowering the "you haven't a clue what are you doing" I set about building the car. So far it's certainly been fun, although I have nightmares about rivets!! I've found the manual very usefull and most of the build fairly stright forward, especially with some help from friends at work every now and again! Hoever when it comes to the engine (zetec 1800 injection) the manual seems rather vauge, infact it almost seems to miss out the engine entirely, I guess because there are so many variations. I've checked tons of build sites, haynes manuals etc and I'm still struggleing. The car is now 'almost' complete, minus a few missing parts!! And I can't put off finishing the engine any further. I think I have most of the wiring complete, but I still have a few leads unattached, and a selection of sensors in the draw. EG. I have what appears to be a oil pressure sensor, should this replace the one already fitted ( I think near the oil filter) so it matches the VDO dials? They are (I hope) fairly simple problems but with such limited knowledge I doubt ringing westfiled (as helpfull as they are) would help "is the silver pipe next to the black box, supposed to connect the the black pipe near that bit with the wires coming out of it...etc etc" I also want to check that what I've done so far is correct (before this the most I had done was  change a wheel!;) I was planning on ringing a 'mobile mechanic' and asking him to come around and give it the once over, however appart from the cost, I wondered  if without 'westfiled' knowledge how usefull that would be....SO the question is, is there any one out there, who lives near cheadle, cheshire. willing to give up 1/2hr (ish) to just point me in the right direction, my work hours are fairly flexable, so I will of course arrange a time to suit you, and provide as much tea/coffee, bacon butties as you can eat!! And it is honestly just a point in the right direction regarding the engine wiring, I don't plan on kidnapping you to finish the car!!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MAT1800

• geofff

• Flappa

• KerryS

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the club, and get along to your local area meet. I'm sure you'll be given plenty of offers of help. :t-up:

Andy

Firstly, well done on finding this site. Secondly, JOIN THE CLUB  :D  it'll be the best £20 you've ever spent  ;)

Now just wait a little while for the Cheshire Mafia to wake up and you should get some answers  ;)  :p  :D

Mat,

I've just completed my 'Madness' build (SVA next week). If you have any specific questions then by all means e-mail me & I'll help as much as I can.

Thanks all...

I will Join the club, in fact I'll do it after this post, and check when the next meet is.

Flappa: Congrats on finishing the build, I hope all goes well at the SVA. As for a specific question thats rather difficult apart from the oil pressure sender question, (if you have the same engine) did you find that you had to change the oil pressure sender (already fitted to the engine) for one supplied in a bag with the rest of the kit, to suit the dials? Also if you have any decent photos of the engine etc, that you could Email me that would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Mat,

I had the Smiths dials with my kit, which had a replacement oil pressure sensor and water temperature sensor.

On mine the existing oil sensor stayed in place. The new unit was mounted into the position about 100mm to the rear of the existing one. There was a plug with a star head that I had to remove. A bit if a pig as it's behind the inlet fanimold. I also had to change the connector on the loom wire from a ring to a spade, but may be different on yours.

The water temperature sensor replaced the existing one mounted in the UNDER side of the thermostat housing located on the rear LHS of the engine.

HTH

Mat

In addition to the help/hinderance/p*** taking here, have you not talked to Mark Walker at the factory. He's very helpful and sent me some photos of the replacement transducers that flappa has mentioned.

I hope that you've not got the body on yet as access after that is difficult owing to the size of the plastic plenum/inlet manifold.

You can also get another wiring diagram from Mark for the ECU loom, but flappa and I have described where they go on another thread here.

Kerry S

Yep, I had to change the oil pressure sender too.   With the factory instruments, you have to open up the hole in the engine mount to allow the sender to pass through the hole too.

Another important thing to remember is to make sure the temperature sender is earthed too.   You should have a shortish black wire with a ring terminal on it big enough to fit over the sender.   Just find a convenient bit of metal on the engine to earth it to (it's because the thermostat housing is plastic and therefore won't earth the sensor).

If you use the alternative position that I referd to, you won't have the problem with the hole in the engine mount :D

geelhoed,

What will you do if that sensor needs to come out

???

I'm not too far from you. I am nearing the completion of an SDV build, so not a Zetec engine, but I would be more than happy to compare note on what I have done with the rest of the car.

I live in Bolton, but I am building the car at my mum and dads in Burnage, not far from you.

If you do want me to pop round I an down there most weekend, so just PM me.

Cheers

Dan

Hi,

I agree with 'Flappa' - use the alternative hole higher up and to the left. You can always connect the original oil pressure warning switch to an oil warning light as well as having an oil pressure guage - double check.

Anybody done that? Am I talking goobldegook?  ???

Ta

Geoff

:)

We're three years after our early spring madness - also an 1800 Zetec - but for lots of reasons , including a long break when nothing got done at all, are still a fair way from finishing. We're in High Legh - just past the airport on the M56 - and it could be that you've solved some problems that are still puzzling us.

Wouldn't mind popping over sometime next week if poss - e-mail is michael@balmoralconsulting.co.uk

Hi all,

Regarding the oil pressure sender, Yes I have got the body work on...I guess I'll try the alternative position. Although I could of course remove the body panel, (at the mo only 6 rivets and roll ball holding it in) not something I really fancy doing...Cheers for that one.

Another (relativley) small point is when I fitted the fog & reversing lights I didn't read through the chapter and discover the need for mounting brackets, untill after. Does any one know if this is the case, do they need to be on brackets for the SVA, Westfield didn't supply me with any but this could ofcourse be an oversight.

Michaelc : You're certainly welcome to call in, I'm not sure what help I can offer but I'll be happy to let you have a good look over and help if I can....Now i'm getting rather worried, it's been locked in the garage for years, first time I've had anyone (who knows what a westfield is) look at it....please don't laugh when you see it! I'll send you an Email soon, I plan on being in there all weekend, or ofcourse could meet up during the week.

Dan: Yes please, any help you can offer would be appreicated., I'll PM you in a mo.

Mat.