• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DickieB

• Blatman

• david.c

• thos

Top Posters In This Topic

Bet he wishes he had a full roll cage though!

One of the Locosts barrel rolled down the Craner Curves at Donington last year - occupant was fine - personally I wouldn't race without a full cage.

Dickie B

Kin hell........................................................ :0  :arse:

Carn't belive the Car & Driver were OK.... :xmas:  :xmas:  :xmas:

Er, it's druids at Brands. So not that high a speed, especially as they're well in to the braking zone, and it seems like it's crowded too, so perhaps a first lap incident? It's a single roll, too which I wouldn't call a "severe" incident.

For severe, have a look at the Caterham that rolled 7 (yes Se7en...) times on the entry to Quarry at Castle Combe a few years ago (it's on a few videos that I've seen).

The car was knackered, but the driver walked away, once he'd recovered consciousness. It had a full cage though. With just a bar, I doubt very much he'd have been anything like as lucky......

For severe, have a look at the Caterham that rolled 7 (yes Se7en...) times on the entry to Quarry at Castle Combe a few years ago (it's on a few videos that I've seen).

Yep, seen it too a few times. This one as Blatman quite rightly points out was very severe. Seem to remember a couple of overweight race marshalls leggin it for cover behind a grass bank

And perhaps some new wrists! He's still holding the wheel as opposed to the ARDS recommended "cross your arms and hang on to your harness"  Yes I know, difficult to remember at the time, but after a few crashes you get used to it.  

oooops - my last crash was a perfect ARDS crossed arms demo!

And perhaps some new wrists! He's still holding the wheel as opposed to the ARDS recommended "cross your arms and hang on to your harness"  Yes I know, difficult to remember at the time, but after a few crashes you get used to it.  

oooops - my last crash was a perfect ARDS crossed arms demo!

I thought holding onto the steering wheel would be better, while clutching the steering-wheel for dear life, you'll be bracing yourself, tensing the muscles in your arms, and giving your neck much needed support.

It's well known in rallying for navigators to suffer neck injuries, while the driver walks away, basically down to the driver holding a steering wheel, while the navigator hold his notepad. I do a bit of navigating and have invested in a neck brace for this very reason.

What is ARDS anyway ?

ARDS = Association of Racing Driver Schools, also used where you have to pass a test to get your race licence.

Bracing yourself often causes more injuries - it is very difficult to brace one bit and not the other - eg if your arms are braced on the steering wheel then there is a good chance that your legs are braced on the pedals (particularly the brake pedal). This can cause stress fractures etc (same with wrists)

A neck brace is OK for normal use - ie supporting your head whilst you move the car around the track or for a navigator putting up with the driver, however in an accident there are some people who suggest that they restrict movement of the neck which is designed to bend quite a lot, and merely move the neck breaking point a couple of vertabrae higher to a point where you'll never recover. I'm not sure, but don't use one.

Good series of photos if a little scary.

As Blatters points out it is Druids so speed will be slow. Also, the kitty litter will have given the rollbar an easier time than a kerb.

Still, I wouldn't have liked to be in the car  :0  :0

David

I think the "cross your arms and clutch the harness straps" method is really for when you're skating across wet grass towards a barrier than for a quick flip like this one, by the time this driver's realised that clipping the other car's rear wheel has lifted his car high enough to go right over he'll only have had a second or two at most to do it!

I held onto the wheel when I skidded into the hairpin barrier at Wiscombe in April and my right thumb was tender for about three weeks afterwards  ???  I'll let go next time  ;)

It's all a question of knowing when you really have lost it, and how much time you have from that admission to hitting something!  

Still worth having in the back of your mind though.