Q plates

dann

I specifically want a Q plate when I'm finished, or I'll have to prat about with catalytic convertors at MoT time.

And because I'm going to buy Q1UCK*

*Along with everyone else.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adhawkins

• conibear

• Blatman

• cidersurfer

But I have an age related plate and don't have to worry about emissions.  

Any kit car only has to pass emissions for the SVA and not for MOt (smoke only)

The Q is so easy to avoid, why not...

Assuming you can afford all new parts...

Andy

It's strange isn't it, people who have 'manufactured' cars seem to crave plates that disguise the vehicles age ???  Just one of those things I guess :D

Why? Snob value? Guys,its just a number plate,not a statement of the cars value or your position in society.Nobody recoups the amount of money they invest in their cars regardless of age related or Q plate so just get out and enjoy them.If your prime concern is the re-sale value of your Westfield,you really have lost the plot. :oops:

The only downside I see with a Q is that it is easily recognised as a kit car , and as only Cateringvan owners seem to see that as a bad thing where's the problem. :p

The whole MOT thing is a confusing mess, having doen an extensive search, most stations appear not to know the fck to do when they get a Westie in some go more aggreassive others less so, even some being downright lenient, so any search on here brings out all sorts of opinions all based on true personel experience but limited to the viewpoint of the tester.

The one common theme is that a Q plate IS easier at MOT time as provisions are made in the rules. I have not seen any real difference in the relative values of Q or age related plates for cars of the same spec and age.

As has been said before, it is the spec and the build quality that influences value. :t-up:

Any kit car only has to pass emissions for the SVA and not for MOt (smoke only)

I understand that recent registrations now have the emissions tested on the V5. These then have to be complied with at MOT time.

In theory yes.  My old westy (SVA'd in '99) had emissions data on the V5. So what, when was the last time you had an MOT tester ask you to bring the V5 along? ;) The computerising currently happenning may eventually include this data, but as it stands now there's no problem.

The MOT rules state that AMATUER BUILT VEHICLES are visible smoke test only, not just Q plated ones. This applies to vehicles built 20years ago or last week - unless you're daft enough to take the V5 along and show the tester the more stringent limit, that is... :bangshead:;)

Personally, I would always ask the tester before he starts on the test if he is aware of this. If he's not, wants to test the car to higher levels, and can't be persuaded to actually read the manual, walk away - it's your choice where to get the test done...

Q plates make the whole point simpler because all they are saying is that the vehicle is "of indeterminate age" which automatically means visible smoke test only.

when was the last time you had an MOT tester ask you to bring the V5 along?

I think it's Blatters local garage that has a sign in saying (words to the effect of) 'All Q plated cars must be presented with their V5 before being MOTd'

As you say though Tim, the 'Q' itself doesn't necessarily make the test any less stringent, it just means the tester is more likely to interpret the rules correctly.

Andy

Good memory Andy! My local MOT place has a sign up stating that *any* Q registered car must be presented with it's V5 or it will not be tested. This is more for grey import cars, AIUI, but they inspected my V5 anyway...

Assuming you can afford all new parts...

Now now there is a big assumption if ever I saw one.  My car cost no more to build than one built from separate bits from a scrap yard.  The only difference is that the gearbox and diff came from an old sierra which I had driven and so knew the gear box and diff were ok.  The engine was a rebuilt after purchasing from a scrap yard and was a B@gger site more expensive.

I thought to get a new reg that all the major parts had to be new, bar one that was allowed to be reconditioned?

Or are you talking about proving the age of all the individual components? ???

Andy

I thought to get a new reg that all the major parts had to be new,

I said for an age related plate not a new one.  New requires that you have all new except one major component reconditioned  ( so you can have new plate and carbs if the engine is pre aug 96 or was it 95)

Personally if I was buying a second hand westie I would rather look at build quality than worry about the Q but if I was a seller then I would rather not have a Q as I may be selling to Joe public and not a sensible person who can rise above the nonesense of Q or not Q.

There I think that places me firmly on the fence :)

I thought to get a new reg that all the major parts had to be new, bar one that was allowed to be reconditioned?

It certainly was when I got my "H" plate many years ago + I needed a certificate of newness from the factory and I had to pay new car tax  :down:  :down:  :arse: The process was a doddle back then and the factory helped out loads with the registration process  :D  :D  ;)

I think things have changed a great deal since that time - no more new car tax and I think you my be allowed one re-furbished component ???

I'd go Q plate route now  :D  :D  :D

if I was a seller then I would rather not have a Q as I may be selling to Joe public and not a sensible person who can rise above the nonesense of Q or not Q.

Realistically, how often does this happen?

Surely Westfield's attract a certain type of buyer, and it's not really the sort of car you buy without doing a little research first? ???

Andy