Q plates

dann

Hi

Been looking on here for a long while but this is my first post. Basically I'm looking to build a kit in the new year. Ideally I'd love to buy the 1800Q modular kit but I only have a budget of 10k so thats out. From looking about this really means I'm going to have to use some secondhand bits and recon bits. My understanding is that this will leave me on a Q plate. Question is is there any stigma regarding a Q plate. I don't want to build the car only to find if I want to sell it somewhere down the line that the Q plate severely reduces the cars value.

Thanks

Dan

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adhawkins

• conibear

• Blatman

• cidersurfer

Dann

First of all 'Welcome'! A whole raft of people will be along in a mo to ask you to join the club and I'll be the first to say it is worth the money.

The q plate topic has been covered at length on here previously. Use the search function button in the top right hand corner. There are pros and cons, pros include easier mot testing (which is nice! ).

There's one such thread here.

It's personal preference, I believe it's the spec and the quality of the build that counts, not the plate.

HTH

Bit of a thread hijack I'm afraid but has anyone else noticed that the DVLA sale of marques site says that the 1-20 range of Q plates will be for sale in 05 sometime....

Q 8ALL or Q1 TOY etc..

Q plate is no problem as far as I'm concerned. It can even make things easier come MOT time.

It's not like it's a Nova on a Q, people expect Westfields to be on a Q plate, so there's no 'stigma' associated with any car that is on a Q.

Andy

Thanks for the reply's, you've all given me a boost. I was wondering if it was worth waiting another year until I could build an as new car, but I think I'll just go for it now. Lifes too short to hang about.

Now the decisions on engines ect..should be fun.. :D. From your experiences can I build a good zetec engined car for 10k..

I have sat down and tried to cost it all out but its quite hard as I'm sure there will be loads of little bits I've missed off. And from my experience rebuilding classic cars I know how much all these little bits add up to

This is my opinion. I would not expect a westfield to be q plated. It is only the builders choice. At time of sale, I would of thought that a none q plated westfield is more desirable to a potential purchaser and also be worth more, but value would always be associated to specification.

If two identical cars, age and spec were for sale and one of them was on a q, I'd of thought the none q would sell quicker and probably for more dosh.

Possibly, but to be honest I doubt there'd be much in it.

It certainly didn't affect the buying decision of either of my cars. In fact, after a bit of reading on here, the Q seemed to have some advantages to be honest.

Horses for courses I guess, there is no 'right' answer.

Andy

But to a new potential Westfield owner who knows nothing about or never owned a Seven and who has limited mechanical knowledge and has not done a search :D  he will surely be more interested in a non q ???  I know I would :D

For the record my 53 plated Westfield does not have emission levels listed on the log book and it does state amateur built  ???  i think ???

Have you thought about building an SDV based vehicle. You don't have to stick with the sierra engine, you can use zetec,vx,duratec, bike whatever and you can transfer the reg number of a donor sierra therefore avoiding a Q if you have any concerns about that. You can build one with a 10K budget. You then have a greater choice if you want to put a private plate on the car.

deller I didn't realise you could put a zetec ect into the SDV. That would be interesting. To get the age related plate do you have to pretend to put a zetec into the sierra first.. ;)

Now there was I thinking that Se7ens were suposed to be "fun" cars. Now it seems that they're ******g status symbols! Non Q cars are better than Q cars.....pass me the bucket. :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :arse: