so whats it worth

HarvSurrey

having had my westy for sale in various places i seem to have found ,as have others from speaking to a few people that there is a mental block at 10k.

It does not matter how high the spec is and how bullet proof you have made it,

Anybody got any views on this ,as i have spoken to quite a few people with very nice cars who have found the same problem.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• HarvSurrey

• furtive

• studbuckle

Interesting

I may well get shot for saying this, but I reckon its probably the Caterham factor........

With a budget over £10k you can get one.....under £10k there aren't many....

Just an opinion.........

(Crash helmet on)

Chris, I kinda agree but I think it's more broadsweeping than that.

10K is a mental barrier when spending money on a secondhand motor of any kind. Just as 100K on a house is.

I know as i've been looking just below and just over 10K for my next Westy. There's a big jump from what you can get for 9500 to 10500. The closer to 10K (below) you get the greater the variance in spec and condition of cars.

I've seen a lot of VERY good spec cars come up for sale recently that were priced below 10K when really they should've been more. The sellers are partly to blame and of course once one comes on the market, everyone else follows so they dont appear to be expensive.

If your car is worth around 10K then it's going to be difficult to get more than the magic 10K for it. If you can, why not downgrade the spec and sell it for under 10K and make up the difference selling what you've taken off. I know of one other boardroom member who's doing just that after hitting the same barrier as you.

OK, i'm going now before I rabbit on any more

HTH

Si

I'll back you up Mr Bin.  :)

When I was a first time sevener I decided on a Westfield based on the fact that I couldn't afford a Caterham and I'd heard of the company. I had no idea of the relative pros and cons of the two makes and had never heard of a locost. First timers who don't do the research will buy a caterham if they can afford it, simply because they know the name. A caterham dealer I know (paul stephens) has plenty of zetec and vx cars pass through his hands at £10 - £12k, OK the spec is some way off most of the £10k westfields, but how many first timers appreciate what an LSD is or the advantages of rose joints? Not many.

Because of this you are largely relying on a current seven, or at least sports car, owner upgrading (like Mr Buckle) and there aren't that many of them about. A lot of owners will sell and decide to build, many more will upgrade their current car.

The market for track biased cars will always be very limited simply as it is a very expensive hobby on a £ per minute in the car basis.

:(

They always say there's only two reasons something won't sell:

1. It's not being promoted to the right targets

2. It's too much money

If you're happy 1. is sorted, I'm afraid a price drop is the only solution to get a sale going more quickly.

Resale is something I've decided to take seriously with my current build so I'll prolly be building the car up to 750MC regs so when (if ever) it's time to sell I've got another potential market. It'll mean compromising on what's best for me as it may not be what others want but I can't afford to lose too much on the car.

Look on the bright side. Bet you've had shed loads of enjoyment out of the car, and think how much you'd have lost if you'd have bought something mainstream like an S2000 or z3 or even a boxster.  :)

Oh, and I think I'm moving to near studbuckle, the only £100k barrier on a house round here is below that, you can't have one.  :)

Just as 100K on a house is.

Arf. Haven't spent less than 100K on a property for nearly twenty years..........Mr Buckle must live near Scotland..... :p  :p  :D  :D

Just as 100K on a house is.

Arf. Haven't spent less than 100K on a property for nearly twenty years..........Mr Buckle must live near Scotland..... :p  :p  :D  :D

I knew as soon as I wrote that i'd get some flack.

OK, 3 years ago I moved from a sub 100K house to above 100K. That was the barrier I was referring to.

I'm only in West Yorkshire and evn now you can still get a semi-detached shed for under 100K

but then again I only get paid blah blah...

Move to Oldham in some parts you can buy two semis for 100k

Move to Salford and you can buy a street full  :0

steel helmet and flak jacket on  ;)

Move to Salford and you can buy a street full    :0  

steel helmet and flak jacket on   ;)

You would need it round there. :0  :0  :0  :0

Although 'Urban Splash' have just anounced plans to renovate such properties into 'Loft Type' Dwellings. :durr:

I knew as soon as I wrote that i'd get some flack

It's not flack, mate, just a bit of gentle leg pulling by the beligerant southerner.....  :0  :0  :D  :D  :sheep:  :sheep:

Nope

Only that west of pennines is a good place to find a shed  :p  :p  ;)  :blush:

grabs son's Dainese mountain bike armour & p*** pot

incoming

Anybody got any views on this ,as i have spoken to quite a few people with very nice cars who have found the same problem.

I have the same problems.  Loathed though I am, the Snotmobile is now at £9250.  I should really strip it as there is a £1000 in the gearbox and LSD alone, the alternator is a good £200, yadda, yadda.  I just simply can't be arsed.

Not looking forward to trying to sell the PPE when the Snotmobile has gone :(