FW 400

FW400 Ian

Fitting revised roll bars to a carbon chassis wouldn't be so easy, you can't just weld a plate in to bolt to....... :D it's all carbon honeycombe :)

...then again, removing tarmac from your grey matter ain't exactly simple simon either. :)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FW400 Ian

• adhawkins

• Blatman

• Peter Cox

Fitting revised roll bars to a carbon chassis wouldn't be so easy, you can't just weld a plate in to bolt to....... :D it's all carbon honeycombe :)

Great car Ian anyway, I just loved it when I saw it at the NEC all those years ago.  All that carbon :D  :love:  :love::)

How's the existing bar fitted then ???

That's true. How tall is Rob Gravett (the driver in Peters linked piccy)? Most racing drivers are short arses....

...actually, that was wrong. You'd probably break your neck before you sliced the top of your head off.

...and I forgot to say, have fun! :D  :D  :D

That's true. How tall is Rob Gravett (the driver in Peters linked piccy)? Most racing drivers are short arses....

Not very  :D he's shorter than me  :D  :D  ;) and ever so slightly more svelt like  :D  :devil:  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:  :devil:  :D

How's the existing bar fitted then  

To fixings that were included in the tub when it was designed / made I would imagine, just like the engine mounts, the gearbox etc.  Basically if the mounting wasn't there originally it's a damned sight harder to add one with proper load transfer and strength to the chassis. It's just a thought.

FW400Ian, if I were you I'd give Caged a call and just have a chat to them to see if they can do anything for you.  I know the roll bar is braced, but it does look quite low. They may be able to make something more suitable for your height (and braced diagonally) using the existing mounts.

Fantastic car though, I would love one.  I think they didn't make/sell many due to a) the cost and b) the (cost) implications of a prang - can't exactly weld a new front end on.

Now an FW400 with an easy reliable 200bhp K-series and a roll cage... :love:

Enjoy it!

Edited to add: whereabouts in the country are you based?

moomin

ignore these doom sayers.  if you roll it remeber to duck :D:D

i always thought they were a great car and would love to have one.  there are also some interesting things being done with k-series (rather than just binning them) which if you have the cash will see up to 250bhp when you feel like you need more power.  which you will

enjoy :-))))))))

OiOi

Got it !!!! And it's sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fast I just cannot catch my breath. The gearbox will take a bit of getting used to (any advice on how to get smother down changes)  

It's just like driving a bike the power is always they’re throughout the rev range and the gears are ideally placed.

I'm not to keen on the colour and will change it over the winter. My thoughts are

1 Estoril blue (BMW colour) Its BMW gold now.

2 Lamborghini Metallic orange

Let me know what you think

E

???  ???  ???

Got it !!!! And it's sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fast I just cannot catch my breath. The gearbox will take a bit of getting used to (any advice on how to get smother down changes)  

It's just like driving a bike the power is always they’re throughout the rev range and the gears are ideally placed.

I'm not to keen on the colour and will change it over the winter. My thoughts are

1 Estoril blue (BMW colour) Its BMW gold now.

2 Lamborghini Metallic orange

Let me know what you think

E

???  ???  ???

What about a really dark metallic graphite ?  Something close to the carbon colouring.

But a metallic blue would be nice.

Or maybe a nice dark metallic British Racing Green.

The colours I saw on other FW400's were metallic silver, blue, orange and metallic green.

Silver or blue or Nicks dark graphite would be my choices  :D  :D  :D  :love:  :love: